Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

ok A's sign some cuban guy for big ASS money

OAFC BBS - All Topics: A's Baseball: ok A's sign some cuban guy for big ASS money
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (108-66-20-160.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net - 108.66.20.160) on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:27 am:

what i dont get is we let a guy go who hit 35 hr wanted to play here was provin and we could have had him for 21 mill 3 yrs for some unprovin cuban guy and most of these types DONT make it ...FFFFF beane

From Chronicle Staff Writer Susan Slusser

The A’s have come to terms with Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes on a four-year, $36 million deal, yanking the star defector away from teams with much larger payrolls in one of the bigger surprises of the offseason.

Cespedes was one of the hottest names on the market this winter, a power-hitting center fielder who can answer the A’s need for a midde-of-the-order hitter. Many experts thought he might command as much as $60 million but the A’s were more flexible than some other suitors, according to a source – most teams wanted to lock the 26-year-old up for five or six years or more.

The Chronicle has learned that Cespedes’ contract breaks down like so: He’ll receive $6.5 million in his first year, $8.5 million in his second year and $10.5 million in each of the final two years of his contract.

Cespedes’ signing could change the look of Oakland’s outfield. He plays center, as does Coco Crisp, so the A’s must move one to a corner spot, with Crisp the more likely option.

The A’s also had interest in another Cuban outfielder, Jorge Soler, but this signing ends that pursuit. The team is still likely to sign Manny Ramirez, however. “Manny is still on the board,” one source told me. With Ramirez sitting out the first 50 games because of a suspension, the thinking is that signing him is win-win: If the team still needs a bat at that point, give him a whirl.

After a long winter in which A’s fans saw three All-Star pitchers traded elsewhere, this is one big splash by the team and something for the fan base to get excited about. Most analysts had Cespedes pegged for the Marlins or one of baseball’s big spending teams.

Instead, Oakland gets what it most needs, a big bat, and the payroll still won’t go above $60 million this year.

UPDATE: There seems to be some feeling out there that Cespedes potentially will start the season in the minors. That’s not what I’m hearing from A’s people, who are already trying to figure out what the big-league outfield is going to look like. When they’re considering shifting Crisp from center, they’re not thinking Sacramento for Cespedes – or at least not any long stay there. I’d be surprised if he’s not in the Opening Day lineup, though a poor spring training might change that.

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (207.47.31.75.static.nextweb.net - 207.47.31.75) on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:52 am:

This literally came out of LF, where were the "experts" on this one. Marlins were showing him around recently. Supposedly it came down to annual salary. Marlins offered 6 years 40 million. Not only we average out at 9 million, we grant him free agency earlier. Beane's moves leaves me scratching my head. Everyone had Solar penciled in for us and Cespedes with the Marlins.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (144.91.50.171 - 144.91.50.171) on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 08:27 am:

Marlins offered Céspedes 6 years and $36 million, not $40 million. HIs agent is the same guy who represents Michel Ynoa. I'll bet A's simply called him and said they'd give Céspedes the same $$ but only four years so that he could become a FA sooner. Also, he has a chance to make the team out of Spring training.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (198.217.64.37 - 198.217.64.37) on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 10:18 am:

WOW...let me run out and buy season tix....NOT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (c-50-131-179-202.hsd1.ca.comcast.net - 50.131.179.202) on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 05:14 pm:

Can't wait to see him play. I love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (216-210-196-242.atgi.net - 216.210.196.242) on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:23 pm:

i dont get it you let a guy who hits 35 hr go and sign a guy unproven never played major league ball for more $$$$ crazy beane beleives his own shit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (adsl-75-5-247-12.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net - 75.5.247.12) on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 07:01 pm:

Beane is always thinking about the next deal, and I bet he feels he can spin this guy off in 2-3 years and get some prospects.

Hope he pans out. We don't need any more automatic outs like Chris Carter and Michael Taylor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 (ool-6c3a6772.static.optonline.net - 108.58.103.114) on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 01:23 am:

Sacto, who is this guy you keep referring to that hits 35 homers? I am assuming you are talking about Willingham. If so he has never hit 30 homers in a season let alone 35. Get your facts straight.

How can anyone hate this move? No one has seen this guy play. I have seen enough of Chris Carter to know I am not excited about him. Let's see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (c-50-131-179-202.hsd1.ca.comcast.net - 50.131.179.202) on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 07:58 am:

114 ML AB's is enough huh? Look at how many decades this org has given Crosby, Barton????

Carter and Taylor both deserve some unadulterated time in the show to prove their worth. Especially Carter and his 170 minor league home runs. Neither player has been given a true chance. Players like Weeks who hit the ground running are rare and if it weren't for a Mark Ellis injury he'd never had his oppurtunity.

And Sacto, lets face it, you hate everything. Willingham is a fine stick but a horrible defender. I'd rather see Carter get those AB's at DH and Taylor the spot in left. Willingham was not going to be part of any rebuild.

That said Manny Ramirez should not be allowed near this young team.

My lineup and I really like Gomes off the bench.

Weeks 2b
Crisp CF
Cespedes LF
Carter DH
Allen 1B
Sizemore 3B
Taylor RF
Suzuki C
Pennington SS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm (207-177-237-250.sal.redshift.net - 207.177.237.250) on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 05:09 am:

This is just "change of conversation" move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By harry6025 (pool-71-163-64-140.washdc.east.verizon.net - 71.163.64.140) on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 06:59 am:

I'd reserve judgement on the lineup until after ST. I think Chili Davis will shore up a huge weakness with this team and the real Carter and/or Taylor will appear. Willingham had a career year and would have been an expensive DH (but a great team player).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (198.217.64.37 - 198.217.64.37) on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 05:17 am:

Looking like a superstar!

Add a Message

If you don't have a username and password, register here.
Username:  
Password:

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.