Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Dave Newhouse - 7/22/02

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Dave Newhouse - 7/22/02
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:32 am:

I may not agree with Newhouse on his baseball ideas but I'm in his corner about the ballpark issue and Jerry Brown and DeLaFuente.

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E10835%257E746809,00.html

The Oakland City Council is expected Tuesday to approve a housing deal that might wipe out a downtown ballpark.

Oakland suffers from not having a sports-minded mayor such as the late Lionel Wilson, who would've forged a financial commitment toward a ballpark from Schott and Hofmann strictly through persistence. Jerry Brown simply doesn't see the value of sports to a city.

The A's new lease agreement at the Net was accomplished without Brown, who thinks Miguel Tejada plays soccer for Brazil. Brown and council president Ignacio De La Fuente await a sign from the A's on the ballpark's location, when that's pretty obvious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 09:36 am:

Very heartbreaking to see these two assholes ruin what could be something special! Back to the box I go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 09:51 am:

I don't like the idea of spending that much on Pudge. Too many question marks. I think losing Ramon would be a huge blow to the pitching staff. Just look at the problems between Pudge and Burba Saturday night. We don't need that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:23 am:

eyleen, the baseball part of Dave's column is a bit irrelevant as to the name of the player...it was more what was written between the lines in respect to what type of player Billy would go after...got the drift?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 12:26 pm:

So you're saying his point was that Schott won't spend that much money, regardless of who the player is. Probably not.

However, my reading of the article is that Newhouse actually thinks Rodriguez would put the A's over the top, and I disagree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 06:11 pm:

Notice that when I posted the Dave Newhouse article I mentioned I didn't agree with his baseball related ideas but was in agreement with
what he said about the ballpark issue.

I don't think the A's should get Rodriguez either.
They need a CFer and not a catcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 06:30 pm:

They sure could use his bat however. Incidentally, he is not a bad catcher either. I say yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 06:31 pm:

I share your concern regarding the vote Tues.,but why cry about it if the politicos and the A's owners don't really want it. Who actualy wants it? Apparently, concerned fans who would be just as happy at the Coliseum.

I saw Dick Spees at the game on Sunday. He is still optomistic about an Oakland stadium.

I won't be at the Tues. meeting as I am off to Baltimore on business and hope to be at Camden Yards for the Tues night game. Baltimore is the Oakland of the East. I'll share my thoughts on my return.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.