Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

What is Selig waiting for?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: What is Selig waiting for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 03:04 am:

I was under the impression that we were suppose to hear from Bud Selig as to the future of the Oakland Athletics by now. What's the delay about? Are they waiting until after the start of the season as to not further alienate any potential early season ticket buyers? Are they colluding with San Jose and the Giants as I write this? Are Selig, Wolff, Fisher, San Jose, and the San Francisco Giants, having second thoughts about colluding to pry the A's from Oakland and the potential legal liabilities this may incur? What's going on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (69.107.116.186) on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 05:44 am:

probably negotiating $$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.4.165) on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 08:10 am:

I think Bud just enjoys jerking A's fans around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (198.217.64.37) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 11:15 am:

Maybe he did not get what he wanted and is trying to make them change it....remember he is Bud Selig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 12:53 pm:

Let's hope this means that Oakland still has a good chance to keep our team where it belongs.

MLB has to realize that if they go ahead with this, they'll be exposing themselves to potential legal problems based on the fraud committed in 1999, along with Wolff's misrepresentations to Oakland officials regarding working on securing a ballpark in Oakland just before he landed his latest sweetheart lease at the Coliseum.

Another thing Oakland should consider, in the event we lose the A's, is to free itself from any territorial claims from MLB and also free itself from any claims to MLS by Lew Wolff and his San Jose Earthquakes. Oakland needs to protect its future possibilities for pro sports. If Oakland does nothing, it will be shut out forever of any hopes of ever landing any pro baseball franchise, or any MLS or NHL franchise.

If Oakland's central location to the 7.5 million residents of the Bay Area, and its transit linked sports complex, is deemed attractive to ANY pro franchise anywhere in the country, Oakland should be allowed to compete for these franchises without any artificial interference based on alleged "territorial rights." If we're going to abolish territorial rights, then let's do it across the board. Lew Wolff will have no claim on Oakland for his San Jose baseball franchise. Lew Wolff will also have no claim on Oakland for his MLS franchise. Lew Wolff can't say he doesn't want Oakland on one hand, and then, claim right to Oakland for two pro franchises.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (65.185.6.243) on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 12:33 am:

Sadly, I don't expect good news from the wait. It's really really hard for me to fathom that Selig is somehow working to make sure Oakland gets a fair shot at this. I hope that IS the case, but it's hard to believe.

On that note, do you really think Oakland will man up and start purusing legal action?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 01:55 pm:

Oakland needs to legally protect itself from any claims of territorial rights by Lew Wolff. Oakland has no choice but to "man up" or, it will never have a shot at baseball, soccer or hockey in our lifetime. It's also a case of fundamental fairness. If San Jose sets the precedent that they can't be claimed as a "territory" by the Giants, then by extension this means that Oakland has a right not to be claimed by a San Jose franchise. This goes for the "San Jose" A's, the San Jose Sharks, along with the San Jose Earthquakes. None of these franchises would have a right to prevent any franchise from locating in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd (98.207.46.94) on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 05:54 pm:

I hate to say it but they're gone. A perfect storm of greed and stupidity. Piccinini was are only hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 11:30 am:

I wouldn't lose hope just yet. This tale has many twists and turns. There will be lawsuits, from Oakland, from NIMBY opposition, from season ticket holders, from transit advocates, from environmental groups, etc. It takes a huge effort to relocate a franchise and build a new ballpark in California in this current economy. Oakland is the path of least resistance. Oakland is the geographic center of the Bay Area and is also the center of the fanbase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (69.227.19.215) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 12:26 pm:

its still easy to get to a ballgame from sacto san jose forget it they wont draw sac fans much or marin fans to hard .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 01:33 pm:

Wolff and Fisher have basically told the San Francisco Giants that they can have the East Bay AND the North Bay to go along with their dominant position in the Peninsula. These guys think that by building a landlocked ballpark in downtown San Jose, where Giant fans outnumber A's fans by at least 70%, that somehow they'll be able to compete with the Giants who will still have their waterfront ballpark, along with virtually the entire Bay Area to draw from.

Wolff and Fisher are determined to pin themselves in a southern corner of the Bay Area in the hopes that enough shallow corporate types, who have mostly supported the Giants and their "glamorous" city and ballpark in the past, will somehow now choose to go to a landlocked ballpark next to a San Jose freeway. It makes no sense. We all know that Wolff has made one blunder after another since he's taken over ownership of the franchise. This relocation to oblivion is par for the course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.4.165) on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 11:47 am:

Relocation to oblivion. Ugly and poetic at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 (99.102.135.242) on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 08:13 am:

An equally sad fact is that they have already handed over much of the Eastbay. There are Giants fans all over the Eastbay. If you go to retailers in the Eastbay you will see equal split between A's and Giant's merchandise makes me sick but that's the reality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 09:22 am:

Wolff and Fisher along with Schott before them, only have themselves to blame. When you have two successive ownerships running the franchise with a one foot out the door mentality, while coveting the South Bay, this is what you get. They deserve the number of fans that show up to games. Walter Haas had no problem attracting fans to the games when the population of the East Bay was much smaller. The question is, where do we go from here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (69.107.126.104) on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:53 am:

SF Chron writer John Shea tweets that "Contrary to reports, Bud Selig said he hasn't received report from his committee on #athletics and ballpark status. Coming in 'near future.' "

Here's the link:
http://twitter.com/JohnSheaHey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.22.135) on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 01:31 pm:

John Shea is on the Giants' post-game show with Marty Lurie right now. I caught a few minutes of it. Marty takes questions from callers and has intelligent discussions. How great would it have been to have him hosting a post-game show for the A's?

Has anyone heard Chris Townsend yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (69.107.126.104) on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 02:29 pm:

I've heard Townsend. He seems fine so far. I'm wondering whether he will attend at least the A's home games during the regular season, and do his own interviews of the players, staff, etc.

The biggest problem Townsend has had has been KTRB. They keep interrupting him while he or his guest speaks with their commercials touting Michael Savage and other ads. If I was Chris I'd be pretty upset.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.11.14) on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 05:28 pm:

FWIW, F.P. Santangelo on KNBR said his show will be "A's-friendly". He had Dallas Braden on tonight, and he's had Chavez on as well.

FP was taking a lot of calls on Ron Washington tonight. I feel bad for Wash, but I can't help but be relieved that this happened after he left the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (65.185.6.243) on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 05:40 pm:

I am sure the story would have been a lot worse had it happened in oakland. Sad but true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jmmarx (71.36.104.91) on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 06:07 am:

Sad but true indeed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (166.137.8.252) on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:57 pm:

Selig ruined the game's radio broadcast for me today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jmmarx (71.36.104.91) on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:47 pm:

Selig ruins everything he touches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (64.139.4.178) on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 11:52 am:

..."the Haas gave them territorial rights"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.1.92) on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 04:48 pm:

Bud is an idiot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By richochet (204.2.163.2) on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 03:34 am:

Lew's a carpetbagger.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.