Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Bogus Poll Shows Support for As Move to San Jose

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Bogus Poll Shows Support for As Move to San Jose
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandathletic (12.149.144.130) on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 12:10 pm:

A new poll out of San Jose appears to show strong support for the Oakland As planned moved to the South Bay. But on closer reading, the wording of the poll indicates that it was designed to produce the results it got. According to the Mercury News, the poll shows that 62 percent of San Jose residents would favor giving the Oakland As public property for a new stadium as long as taxes arent raised. But the poll apparently didnt inform respondents that San Jose will have to give the As more than just free land in the deal, thereby making the polls results highly questionable and punching a large hole in any claim that it proves that San Jose residents would vote in favor of the As moving to their city.

As co-owner Lew Wolff has made it clear that he wants the City of San Jose to also pay for infrastructure improvements needed for the stadium, which could amount to tens of millions of public dollars. Although the money likely would come from redevelopment funds and would not require a tax increase, the expenditure of huge amounts of public funds could render the deal much less palatable to San Jose voters particularly if the As move encounters a well-financed opposition. And that likely will happen, because any move to San Jose will surely be opposed by the San Francisco Giants because they own the territorial rights to the South Bay.

The issue is key because a move to San Jose requires a vote of San Jose residents. Oakland, by contrast, also is proposing to give the As free land and pay for infrastructure improvements with redevelopment money, but such a move would not need a vote of city residents.

The San Jose poll also apparently failed to inform voters of the value of the public land that the city plans to give to the As. Reportedly, the total cost of acquiring the 14-acre property will amount to about $46 million in taxpayer funds.

So why didnt the pollster ask a more realistic question? Such as, Would you support giving the As public land that the city paid $46 million to acquire, plus spend tens of millions of dollars more in redevelopment funds for infrastructure needed for the teams new stadium as long as it does not include raising taxes? The answer is obvious. Because they never would have gotten 62 percent of residents to say yes.

The poll was conducted by San Jose State Universitys highly respected Survey and Policy Research Institute, but it was paid for by the Bay Area News Group, a division of the newspaper chain MediaNews, which owns the Mercury News, the Oakland Tribune, and the Contra Costa Times. And the newspaper chain also put together the slanted wording of the poll not San Jose State. Which leads one to believe that the owners of Oaklands hometown daily may not mind a bit if the As move to a city where it also owns a newspaper.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/92510/archives/2010/03/31/bogus-poll-shows-support-for-as-move-to-san-jose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jmmarx (71.36.111.205) on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 03:12 pm:

Boycott MLB if this happens!

NO WAY SAN JOSE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 06:17 am:

I hate Mark Purdy:

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbaybaseball/ci_14797504

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (144.91.218.232) on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 11:01 am:

Purdy has been an "a's to San José" booster for many years. I haven't even read this latest column because I doubt it contains anything new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 11:06 am:

Purdy is a San Jose partisan and a shill for San Jose business interests including Lew Wolff. His attempts to place blame on Oakland for the desires and lust of a Santa Clara, and then San Jose business man, are pathetic. Wolff claims that he tried to build in Oakland at the same time that he was secretely attempting to secure rights to San Jose. That's a bold face lie and anyone who's been following this sorry saga knows it.

Wolff's latest reasoning for abandoning Oakland is that, "Oakland is too close to San Francisco," and according to Wolff's partner and "Oakland resident" Guy Saperstein, who attempted to denigrate Oakland's economy, Oakland is just a pathetic downtrodden city without any kind of economic hope. These weasels are truly reprehensible.

I suppose when Wolff was making his "sincere" attempts to build in Oakland, the city was farther away from San Francisco, and Oakland's economy was much more robust.

San Jose will never be a city with the charm, character, and natural beauty of Oakland, no matter how many teams they mange to steal from neighboring cities. I will not drive 45 miles to a landlocked ballpark next to a San Jose freeway in order to support Lew Wolff or that city economically. I will despise San Jose for stealing our Oakland Athlethics. I'll give up on MLB. I'll root against the "San Jose" A's every single time. I'll hope to see 10,000 fans per game in that new ballpark. And, I never thought I'd say this, but I'd hope San Francisco kicks the crap out of San Jose when they play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jmmarx (71.36.111.205) on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 12:41 pm:

HERE HERE to mroakland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (76.102.181.83) on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 03:59 am:

I'm with oaklandsi...don't even bother reading Purdy, an uninformed ridiculous cheerleader.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandathletic (12.149.144.130) on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 07:36 am:

Serious. It's funny how he keeps referring to himself as being "obnoxious" when it comes to moving the A's to San Jose, so he should just leave it at that...obnoxious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (69.107.110.105) on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 09:05 am:

San José Sharks are accusing the city of authoring a misleading report on the proposed ballpark:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_14804001?source=rss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 10:40 am:

Let's bring the Sharks to Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (67.188.46.22) on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 11:29 am:

After reading the article, I'm optimistic that this is only the beginning of the end for Lew Wolff's hare brained obsession with San Jose. How long has this guy been trying to move out of Oakland? Instead of concentrating on catering to his customers and putting a winning and entertaining product on the field, he continually alienates his customers with his vagabond ways.

Come on Wolff, you thought that building a ballpark on the Coliseum parking lot was tough because of "overhead high power lines," wait until all the worms come crawling out of the can. It's not worth it. You're going to get grief from the Sharks, San Jose NIMBYs, Giant headaches, and Oakland lawsuits. Just sell baby. just sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jmmarx (71.34.121.103) on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 11:53 am:

What a way to punish San Jose...steal the Sharks away.

Welcome OAKLAND SHARKS!!! Has a nice ring towards it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.2.96) on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 05:39 pm:

Indeed, I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm (207.177.237.4) on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 07:29 pm:

Does anybody notice that the Sharks have orange in their uniforms, and Gary Radnich on CSN California has a "Shark Byte" with JT Snow. Also, one of Sharks' sponsor is Hockey XSports in OAKLAND. Another thing, Mark Purdy is not a Bay Area native. I think he is from Indiana according what he mentioned during Chronicle Live once. A rebuttal to this argument would be Dave Newhouse, but Newhouse has wrote a column about his love for OAKLAND.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.