Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Mitchell "The Rage" Page R.I.P.

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Mitchell "The Rage" Page R.I.P.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland4ever (75-93-80-102.chc.clearwire-dns.net - 75.93.80.102) on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 02:13 pm:

I remember him as one of few bright spots during the poor A's teams of the late 70s.
Opening night (1979 I believe) during the bottom of the 9th, down 5-2 to the Twinkies, I crept up to a seat behind the dugout & yelled at him as he was in the hole. Hey Mr Page (I was only 11), "think we still have a chance?". He took the time to look at me and nod "affirmative". He doubled or tripled & ended up scoring. Alas, we fell 5-3.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK197904060.shtml

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/athletics/detail?entry_id=84917}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (c-24-4-175-160.hsd1.ca.comcast.net - 24.4.175.160) on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 02:43 pm:

My most memorable encounter with Mitchell Page came in the Fall of 2001. "Diamond Lil" and I had gone to the Arizona Fall League, and we ran into a slightly drunken Mitchell Page at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. He was working in the Cardinals organization at the time, and we spent a couple of hours talking baseball with him. It was a great conversation. The funniest thing that came from this was when we were talking about Mitch's playing days with the A's. He knew exactly where me and "my Mom", as he referred to Lil, sat at the Coliseum, and he was well aware of our heckling skills. To this day I often tease Lil about Mitchell Page calling her "my Mom", and she is still insulted by it.

Mitchell Page was too young to go, but I am glad that our paths crossed. Apparently I made an impact on his life, as he did on mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jmmarx (174-25-32-98.ptld.qwest.net - 174.25.32.98) on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 09:45 pm:

Mitchell Page was indeed one of the greatest A's players in the team's history. Even though the teams he was on, from 1977 to 1979 stunk, he was one of the bright spots during that time.

I was fortunate to see him play and he should be in the A's Wall of Fame at the Coliseum. His number, #6, should go on that wall.

I miss you Mitchell Page. R.I.P.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (c-24-7-124-230.hsd1.ca.comcast.net - 24.7.124.230) on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 05:54 am:

Jer, I too remember our encounter and for the record...I just faked being insulted and remember fondly that Rickey also called me "mom" several times :')

however...remember that now I've graduated to
"vovo" which is grannie in portuguese...

Btw Jer, we saw Mitchell at the coli several times with his son who looked more like his grandson. That was after he stopped working with the Cards.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.