Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

"The Billy Beane Theory"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: "The Billy Beane Theory"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 08:45 pm:

Rob Neyer:

Yesterday I was watching the Reds-Astros game and one of the Reds broadcasters -- who shall remain nameless because I like him -- suggested that Bob Boone subscribes to the "Billy Beane theory" of not wasting valuable outs on sacrifice bunts.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1420050.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 11:43 pm:

I'm not a big fan of the sac bunt either. Now, hit n run and stealing bases, that's another story.

In fact, I started a thread here the other day about the hit n run...seems to have disappeared. Must be some technical issue.

In any case, Howe really could've used a hit n run tonite -- 3rd inning, ellis on first, hatteberg on 2nd, nobody out, and miggy at bat. Can you imagine a better scenerio for a hit n run? Instead, of course, miggy hit into a DP, and then chavez grounded out. Inning over. DOh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 08:48 am:

I'm with you on that milo.
I don't want to see more sac bunts. They're boring and you give up an out. Hitting and running I would like to see much more of. It seems like the A's are paranoid about getting caught stealing, so they rarely send anyone. I think this is the wrong approach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 10:01 am:

I thought the Billy Beane Therory is win with
cheap ass owner!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.