Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's article in Sports Illustrated

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's article in Sports Illustrated
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:05 pm:

There's an article in this weeks Sports Illustrated on the A's. Not especially long but talks about the recent run and what the A's have to lose if there is a work stoppage. There is even a small mention in the article about the A's growing fan base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

Hmm...I'm biased, but I think the A's have the most to lose from a strike. I mean, what do Texas or Tampa Bay care whether the season ends now or a month from now? Probably most of those players would rather go home now. But with a 15-game winning streak on the line, building momentum toward the playoffs, curiousity about what crowds might be in Oakland this weekend now that the A's are in first place and with the win-streak, the growing attention the national media is giving the A's, the potential for tremendous accomplishments this year for this A's team (legitimate Cy Young and MVP candidates, the chance to avenge two years of frustration against the Yankees, the possibility of winning the WS since the A's have proven no one in the NL can beat them)....The possibility of a strike wiping all of that out really hurts. I was so distraught last night at the thought that I snapped at my family and my dog. There are no guarantees any of this will repeat itself next year. We more than any fans should be ticked-off if there is a strike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:27 pm:

Only the Twins in comparrison have as much to lose as the A's. Just looking at the immediate loss is if you look at the next five games with what should be a good walk up tommorrow night if they play, fireworks on Saturday, Jermaine Dye bobblehead day on Sunday, Labor Day on Monday, and then after the very unusual off day on Tuesday you have $1 Wednesday. In those five games the A's potnentially could draw 200,000+ and I don't think that's much of a stretch especially if the streak keeps going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 04:44 pm:

Both the A's & Giants lose if there is a strike. Read Jeff Fletcher's article (Press Democrat) yesterday on that. A good article and concise with regard to what the two team's stand to lose. Though the owners couldn't speak out .. remember Selig's mandate .. they likely want a settlement now and the differences btw. players and owners would not affect either that much, even though the reasons for each are different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

I hate any article on the A's in SI usually they are the kiss of death!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

Sacto, man you are right about that...the SI jinx!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:20 pm:

I wonder whatever happened to that article about the fun-loving A's locker room that was supposed to appear in SI early in the season. It was canceled after the A's got off to such a bad start.

That was a jinx before it even was published!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 08:51 am:

Eyleenn, the (current) SI article on the A's by Pearlman, answers your question. Rather interesting article, but I think most of us will see no surprises in it. It merely confirms what we've already heard with re to Jeremy, Pena, etc. I'm still having a tough time believing the "reasons" Pena was shipped. I believe there is more to that story than the public will ever know, but darned if I know what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By padgett on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 10:05 am:

What else is there to know about Pena? He was in the midst of a terrible slump, and because he was young and unproven, he was somewhat expendable. Beane has said that the team is built around pitching, and with a chance to pick up in Lilly a young player that had been in his sights for a while, he jumped on it. I still think we got the sweet end of the deal; even if Pena prospers in Detroit, Lilly's going to be awesome, Weaver's been struggling, and the Yankees gave us probably their two best prospects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 11:04 am:

I agree with DJ, it appears that there is more than meets the eye with the Pena demotion and trade....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.