Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Tim Keown Article comments regarding Bud!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Tim Keown Article comments regarding Bud!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 01:13 pm:

Everyone seems to understand and accept "Bud Selig's epic incompetence and seemingly bottomless capacity for -- to be highly generous -- twisting the truth. Just to pick something at random, Selig can't even embrace the game's best stories -- the allegedly impossible small-payroll successes in Minnesota and Oakland. Those two franchises are models, and Bud calls them aberrations. They should be honored, instead they are belittled. Has there ever been a worse spokesman for the game than Selig?"

http://espn.go.com/magazine/keown_20020830.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 01:30 pm:

Has there ever been a worse spokesman for the game than Selig?...

No.

I don't get it: Pete Rose is barred for life, and yet a guy like Selig gets to be Commissioner.

At least we have peace through 2006. He can take his "contraction" and put it where the sun don't shine....back in his pea-sized little brain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 01:32 pm:

Yeah, but the players agreed not to fight contraction in 2007 so it is just a lifespan of 4 years for teams considered in Selig's terminal list.

Btw, they did not address nor make any changes to the draft, so the free agent compensation draft will remain as is... this has a double meaning for A's fans... at the same time this almost ensures not trading Tejada next year, the most likely scenario is to let him go as a free agent and then drafting the compensation. It looks like Crosby will be the A's SS in the year 2003.

They are still going to work on the details of the World Wide draft and develope the rules for that...but I didn't hear when they will do it. This would also affect the A's because of the Domican Academy. The A's would have to follow the rules of the draft order I guess.

I think that now what remains to be seen is ...the teams who turned themselves into "small market" teams in order to receive more shared revenues...will they invest what they will receive into the baseball teams or will they continue to pocket the money? I don't see where they will be able to police that at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 01:40 pm:

Maybe Selig will be gone by 2007. We can hope. May the ghost of Abner Doubleday get rid of that goof in the commissioners office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:27 pm:

Ummmm isn't Tejada signed through 2003? I think that makes him the A's shortstop for 2003 then. Can't we like enjoy this season and also enjoy the fact that the A's have no major free agents THIS season unlike last year. I find no reason to worry about Tejada at this point...are we all gonna start worrying about Chavez leaving after 2004 at this time next year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:27 pm:

Selig will be gone by 2007...in fact I think he's even been quoted as saying he'll leave at the end of his contract but I could be wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:50 pm:

Lil, I'm guessing you meant Crosby will be the SS in 2004, not 2003 when Tejada is still here. And I'm not so sure that this contract means Tejada will be gone for sure. They DID sign Dye to a long term contract when no one thought they would. Tejada is obviously even more valuable than Dye.
I think they'll get a deal done with Tejada sometime next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

"are we all gonna start worrying about Chavez leaving after 2004 at this time next year?"

What about Huddy? Isn't Huddy coming up on FA soon? Sorry yc2578; such is the life of an A's fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kenarneson on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 03:04 pm:

My wife's least favorite day of the week is Sunday, because the following day is Monday. I can't understand that--why not enjoy the day off while you have it? Why isn't Monday--the day she's dreading--her least favorite day instead? I've been married to her 10 years and I still can't figure that one out.

I agree with yc2578: getting all worked up about losing Tejada now (yes he's signed through next year) is like hating Sunday because tomorrow's Monday. It makes no sense to me. But some people think that way, so I guess you just gotta live with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 03:36 pm:

yes, I did mean 2004...sorry...and I was not getting worked up. Just stated what I consider a possible scenario. I will continue to be an A's fan and go to games.

maybe we will even be pleasantly surprised and keep all our free agents...but I see no reason to go into denial either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:11 pm:

Just as a run down for everyone as to when everyone is a free agent:

Tejada 2003
Chavez 2004
Hudson 2005
Mulder 2005
Zito 2006

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:19 pm:

Today is Friday. Monday is a holiday. Only 3 more days until Tuesday, and work. I'm depressed...

Yes, Selig is still commissioner. Yes, contraction may occur in 2007 -- an eternity in sports, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Tejada may be lost by 2004, Chavez by 2005, etc. But the dark cloud of a strike blew away from baseball this morning. I'm content. Giddy almost. Let's enjoy the end of the threat, revel in this weekend's games, and let tomorrow worry about itself (at least until next week).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.