Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Skip Bayless thinks A's are headed to SJ

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Skip Bayless thinks A's are headed to SJ
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 09:24 am:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/sports/columnists/skip_bayless/3982694.htm

Not to put a damper on the INCREDIBLE win streak, but some interesting quotes by Schott here. Although this may be more wishful thinking by Bayless, I wouldn't put it past Schott to still be plotting a move south.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 09:58 am:

From the Skip's column:

"No doubt. But first, of course, Schott would have to secure a South Bay stadium site and funding that also would cover the buyout clause in the five-year deal the A's recently signed with Network Associates Coliseum. Then Schott would have to beat the exemption awarded to baseball in, fittingly, a 1922 Supreme Court case involving Baltimore's team."

1.Don't forget to add the funding for buying out the Giants territory...he won't get it for nothing if he ever gets it...

2.What makes him think San Jose or Santa Clara will build Mr. Schott a ballpark. They refused to build the Giants a ballpark when the economy was strong and healthy.

3. The very moment the territorial rights are challenged, the biggest and richest territory will also be challenged...New York! Does anybody think Steinbrenner will agree to first, keep giving the amount of money he is giving to the so called "small markets" and then turn around and then, out of the goodness of his heart, give his territorial rights to another team?

This column by Skip Bayless seems to me as just another plant to put pressure on the host city of Oakland to start thinking of ways to build Schott a ballpark.

Hell can freeze over before Schott gets the support from Oakland/Alameda residents for tax money investment in a ballpark for him. He doesn't deserve one iota of any hard working Oakland or Alameda resident tax money, no matter how good this team may be right now.

He showed no interest in getting a ballpark when it would have benefited the city and the A's...now he can build himself a ballpark if he so wishes. Threats or no threats...it is as simple as that. There will be no political support for that and I can't see any support even from the closest ballpark proponents who worked so hard on the ballpark project ignored by Schott.

In my opinion, the closest he will get to the South Bay will be Warm Springs...if he ever gets any funding for that which I seriously doubt.

Skip Bayless should do his homework...but I think this was just a plant story by Schott's PR guy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.