Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's Fans get praise!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's Fans get praise!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:30 am:

From the C.C.Times:So much for the A's fans being bitter about the lengthy negotiations and near strike. More than 80,000 fans showed up for the final two games of the A's-Twin series,about 25,000 of whom walked up.The A's drew more than 105,000 for the three game set."You got to give a lot of credit to the fans,"Howe said."They gave us alot of energy.They wouldn't let us quit.It's good to have a nice crowd out there.I hope we continue to draw."
Well, some of us WERE bitter, but we love our team, enough said! Dave Del Grande,hope you read that column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 06:36 pm:

Another 14,000 walkups today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:14 pm:

I get sick of the cheap digs at us fans though. The Channel 7 reporter (at 11 PM) mentioned Friday how despite the fact the A's were on a roll, "…the stands were still half empty." C'mon, 25,000 is not that bad– besides, walkup figures tell more about the size of the bandwagon, and it is growing (13,000 walkup on Fri)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:16 pm:

And one more thing; ironically, Channel 4 has given the A's streak the best coverage from what I've noticed. Radnich hasn't been around the last few days! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:29 pm:

Chan 5 gave a pretty good coverage in their 6:00pm news. They showed the people at the advance tickets sales windows outside the coli after the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:34 pm:

With 65k seats in the coli, it's not hard for it to be half-empty!!! The A's need a nice little intimate ballpark that seats maybe 35k, like Fenway, with the Bay Area media slobbering all over musclehead and his giants and by and large ignoring the A's. I don't understand why the A's don't market to the Sacramento area. They need to slam this area hard and make it their own. It takes just as long to drive to Oakland from here as it does from San Jose! They could have the entire state east of the bay bridge, why don't they take advantage of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:48 pm:

Jace, I agree they should be all over the Sac market, not sure why they aren't even trying there. But I have to disagree about getting to Oakland from SJ vs. Sac. I live in Los Gatos which is actually west of SJ and it takes me less than an hour to get to games, unless it's like a Friday night which is a nightmare anywhere in the bay area. I don't think anyone can get from Sac to Oak in 1 hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:04 pm:

Yea Me, but when they mention their hero, Barry, the eyes light up, and they get excited. Channel 7 sports are Giant lovers. Any sports person on T.V. who you know likes the A's? I'll listen to them, if there are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:26 pm:

"Any sports person on T.V. who you know likes the A's? "

Yes.

Dennis O'Donnell - Ch 4. Talked to him at the A's hotel at spring training

Fred Inglis - Ch 2

Non-Sports:

Marty Gonzalez - Ch 4. I've seen him at the game in an A's shirt.

Leslie Griffith - Ch 2

Doug Murphy - Ch 5 Used to be sports now news.

Pete Wilson - Ch 7 ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:45 pm:

you go chanel 7 tell it like it is yes attendance sucked today!!!! even if the posters on this bord are so bias n' blind they can't see past there noses

TODAY'S ATTENDANCE SUCKED PERIOD!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:49 pm:

It's Official....We now know who the SMARTEST MAN ON THIS BOARD IS..Apparently, the rest of us are "bias n' blind". DAMN MY IGNORANCE AND STUPIDITY!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:27 pm:

Sacto, Why don't you come down to a game. Vinnie and I can buy you a pint of Guiness and plate of pasta!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:41 pm:

Bubbs, if we are buying Guiness, I aint gona share..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 12:37 am:

I know Raj Mathai at 3, and he likes the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 08:32 am:

Thank you all-I will pay attention to them. I knew SOMEONE liked them. Was radio surfing last night, and heard J.T, The Brick(the huge Yankees fan) say, "just wait for the cocky A's to go to the Bronx, the Yankees are the better team.." He also said, if the ballpark doesn't hit 40,000 every night the A's play at home, then it's disgusting.
I know some like the A's to play the Yankees, I don't. Everytime we go, we end up sitting next to obnoxiousYankee fans. They even take over the bleachers. I hate to go those times, but the thought of there being more Yankee fans, makes us go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 08:32 am:

Mornings on 2 have been giving the A's quite a bit of coverage this morning praising the team. However, Sal Casteneda (a die-hard Giants fans who must be secretly hating this) said he caught the last inning on the radio. He praised Bill King on what a great job he does ("as well as the Giants broadcasters" he added) Bill, by the way was on vacation this weekend... I'm sure if Sal really did listen to the radio, he was just checking to see if they would lose.

Mo2 wasn't all praise though, they had to ask C.W. Nevious(?) why they only got 27k and the fact that they had over 40K walk-up this weekend wasn't even mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 08:42 am:

Any lapses in the local news media's enthusiasm for the A's stands out in greater relief because of the (IMHO) great coverage the A's have gotten on ESPN. They lead Baseball Tonight (Harold Reynolds saying, "They're not going to lose another game!..." -- although somewhat tongue-in-cheek, he's caught up in the euphoria), and not only lead Sports Center, but had a nice feature last night on some of key plays and players during the current 19-game win streak. And Ken Korach's calls of Tejada's game-winning hits Sunday and Monday were prominent on ESPN's coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 08:43 am:

Well, Chuck Nevius, ex-sports writer gone frugalities writer for the Chron, substituted for one of the homers at KNBR a month ago...he told a caller that the best that could happen to the A's would be to relocate to Washington, because it would be either that or contraction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 08:45 am:

Oh yeah, and "The Brick' also said the A's "peaked too early". The jerk wonders why A's fans don't call his program. Well, I suppose it's because A's fand don't want to talk baseball with Yankee fans!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 08:51 am:

The A's are the biggest story in sports right now. All the nation is paying attention. It only shows how truly petty, parochial, and non-objective the Neviuses, and the Bricks, and the old farts on KNBR truly are. Every win the A's rack up is another punch to the guts of these fatuous gasbags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:14 am:

I think we should have an unwritten rule here...

NO A'S FAN is allowed to criticize the Oakland A's ballpark attendance without first scanning a dated ticket stub to the game they are criticizing for low attendance. NO EXCUSES ACCEPTED!

If you can't put up the ticket stub...then you will have to shut up about it!!!!!

Personally, I think that for a four game series which started Friday, when at noon nobody even knew if there would even be baseball at all left this year...drawing in excess of 135.000 fans is pretty damn good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:33 am:

As for yesterday's attendance. This is a 3 day weekend. Most fans thought there was going to be a strike and you can bet that consequently made other plans for Labor Day. In consideration of all that, 25,000 plus was pretty darn good. But, again, some go through life with glasses half empty. They can't see, therefore, anything but the negative things in life and if there are none, it is their goal to spin some anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:34 am:

Thanks Lil. I had the same thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:44 am:

NO A'S FAN is allowed to criticize the Oakland A's ballpark attendance without first scanning a dated ticket stub to the game they are criticizing for low attendance
My god this board is getting an awful lot of rules attached to participation. Pretty soon I don't think I'll be able to qualify as a poster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:47 am:

The A's have to give more importance to building their season ticket base. The Bay Area and the Valley have thousands of A's fans who live 1 to 2+ hours away from the ballpark.

These people have to make long term plans to come to a ballgame, not just decide in the morning of the game that, because the day is nice and beautiful and the team is on a roll, they are going to hop on bart and come over to the yard...

If the A's would cater to these folks and market the North Bay and Sac Valley folks, they would be coming to the ballpark on bus trips and weekend deals by the droves...i.e. the BoSox do with the folks from all the way New England up to Vermont.

The A's need to make a long term commitment with the fans so they can respond with a long term commitment of their own. Give promos for the weekends with hotel deals. Get trips set up with a travel agency to bus the folks from the Valley.

This is the only way you are going to pack the house through rain or shine, win or lose, ups and downs of the 81 game season...

Instead all you hear is marketing for the walk up crowds....which is fine but it only brings in the fans when the team has an event or a winning streak...these things happen only far and few between to ANY TEAM or ANY FAN!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:48 am:

Jace, I think Lil's comment was aimed at one crumudgeon in particular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:50 am:

Lil, totally agree re marketing to Sac area. Just one thing, though: these bus trips you mention, does this mean I'd have to ride the bus to the coli with gregorymark?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:52 am:

Hey, I wrote that tongue in cheek folks...lighten up Jace...puhlese!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:54 am:

"Lil, totally agree re marketing to Sac area. Just one thing, though: these bus trips you mention, does this mean I'd have to ride the bus to the coli with gregorymark? "

No, we would have to make another "ROOLE" and the two of you would have to ride in separate buses :')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 12:40 pm:

"NO A'S FAN is allowed to criticize the Oakland A's ballpark attendance without first scanning a dated ticket stub to the game they are criticizing for low attendance"

Jace, I don't think that this "rule" is uncalled for. It is the same thing that applies to politics.
If you "Didn't vote, don't bitch about who's in office".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 12:46 pm:

does this mean I'd have to ride the bus to the coli with gregorymark?

HEY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:07 pm:

Jace, I don't think that this "rule" is uncalled for. It is the same thing that applies to politics.
If you "Didn't vote, don't bitch about who's in office".

I guess the same rule applies to all fans regarding the owners if we arn't paying the salaries we can't bitch complain etc... when miggy and the triplets are not offered contracts when they turn F.A. .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:07 pm:

All right everyone, I WAS KIDDING! Geez. That's the problem with the written word -- you can't tell when someone's "saying" something as a joke. I was having a little fun with Lil's rule, that's it! (but I was dead serious about having to ride the bus with you, greg)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:10 pm:

Jace, you'd rather ride with SactoDavey? :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:12 pm:

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M NOT SO BAD IN PERSON :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:13 pm:

Well, I don't know. SactoDavey, can you send pic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:17 pm:

Hey, we're A's fans, we'll ALL ride the bus- "The Magic Bus.."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:19 pm:

Considering 45 years in SF without a World Series championship, a fan bus from Sac. to PacBell would have to be called the "Tragical History Tour."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:27 pm:

HA! Good one, Gregorymark!My husband just e-mailed to the Trib's Turn 2, mentioning the difference between A's fans, and Giant fans. I didn't see the e-mail, but it ought to be interesting! It'll be more interesting if they print it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.