Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Warm Springs site for A's ballpark for sale

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Warm Springs site for A's ballpark for sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:39 pm:

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1726%257E835031,00.html

FREMONT -- The 107-acre Warm Springs site touted as a possible location for an Oakland A's stadium could very well be on the market, and the team is welcome to take a swing at it, a spokesman for the company that owns the land said.

And Alameda County Board of Supervisor President Scott Haggerty has repeated his belief that the site has a chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 02:16 pm:

Who owns the land?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 02:26 pm:

GM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 02:34 pm:

My question would be-can you take BART? We don't have a car, so unless it is...we're in trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

all the way down there might as well be San Jose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kenarneson on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

The BART extension to Santa Clara county is supposed to go right past it. The planned Warm Springs station should be right there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

The Warm Springs Athletics...sounds like an softball team in a retirement community.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 04:34 pm:

It will be interesting to see how much support this idea will have from Oakland and other East and North Bay residents.

I hope the A's do some very serious research to find out how many of their present fandom they will be alienating by moving the team to Warm Springs.

I know they will of course cater to the corporate, but they should learn from the mistakes made by Reinsdorf when he alienated his faithful fans counting on the support from the corporate community in Chicago. Look at how empty his ballpark has been with or without a winning team.

Just curious to see how much Schott is willing to spend to build there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 04:55 pm:

Why does Schott want to cater to the corporate types in Santa Clara? They've all gone under, from what I've read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 05:08 pm:

I also think its a pipe dream Greg. The economy has changed so much since the silicon nervous dollar became scarce, and yet these great business people continue to chase after the venture capitalist money which is no longer there.

This Stone fellow, who apparently is again involved with the Warm Springs site, was the same agent who tried to get the Giants to the South Bay and for the last few years has been trying to get a deal and lure the A's away from Oakland.
So far he has not been very successful in his actions, but is very good in issuing very gloomy predictions for Oakland's chances of retaining the A's. Apparently Haggerty has joined him in his predictions.

Of course he found a great customer in Schott who has had this dream of his from day one since he bought the team.

Haggerty is going to have to do a lot of politic juggling to get support for his project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 05:16 pm:

Unfortunately Schott continues to expect a commitment from fans when he refuses to do so himself...
and all these people who criticize the low attendance even when the team is winning...they forget that what keeps fans through the good and bad times is a long term commitment and stability, where fans feel the team will be there when the rebiulding years come, but they will also be there for the silver lining.

A's fans have lived with years of insecurity and the threat of losing their team...sometimes in just a year or so...sometimes in five years...it doesn't matter...it is still not enough in thr scheme of a baseball life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 05:29 pm:

I don't think Stone is involved in this deal. He is quoted but he was the Santa Clara connection . In this article he doesn't speak very highly of Fremont either. Haggerty's words are important. "If the A's stay in the East Bay, it will be in Fremont." I repeat what I posted many months ago regarding the Santa Clara deal. The only way this happens is if Hofmann sells his half to a big money partner who has the money to make the project go. There is still plenty of money in the Santa Clara Valley. There is an abundace of venture capital out there but not enough good places to put it. Don't rely on the current state of the ecoomy to kill this deal. Given the way Buddy and Stevie work and think, Fremont may be the only viable way to keep the A's long term. By the way I hope they stay at the Coliseum forever, but I am a realist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 06:09 pm:

Sacto you crack me up! They can go 2 hours north but not 45 minutes south. I want Oakland myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

Rono, I believe you are right on about the partnership. However, Stone may not be involved with this deal yet, but I believe he'll jump on the bandwagon if he sees the project taking shape...

Hofmann is selling his half and we all know Selig is working on getting Schott a new partner. But I don't believe Fremont or Alameda County will build Schott and or his partner a ballpark.

Selig and Schott want a public funded ballpark and they are not going to get it right now or anytime soon... I doubt very much Haggerty can come up with a better deal
then Oakland could have come up with at the downtown site, without using public/tax funds.

I think the entire deal may come down to when and who will be the next Mayor of Oakland when Jerry Brown moves on to higher and greener pastures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 07:53 pm:

bubber69 hike! hike!:

hey if moving to sacto is a whole other deal with a city all to its own, i still do not believe s. bay would support the A's alone and to far with traffic for n. bay fans to drive, there is more potential in sacto a pure spots town then s. bay with all the yuppie guchi suite types to busy waxing there sports cars!! plus i live here he he he!

I hope they stay in oaktown to , if dt is dead why not emeryville isn't this is where the Oaks played? great view of the bay easy accsess ? i alsways like that spot freemont make me puke !!
might as well put them in pleasanton in a fregen field!! or livermore next to the lab at least we get free lighting at night, get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 07:59 pm:

ohhhhh...Watch out. Now someone is attacking the your city Bubba. (tag)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:35 pm:

Emeryville does NOT have easy access. There's really only one freeway exit and the streets are already congested. There is no BART access.

As for Warm Springs, the way the BART process works, it'll be 10 years before that extension is in place. The best they could probably do in terms of public transit is to institute shuttle bus service from the existing Fremont station. Meanwhile, the freeways down there are already overcrowded and will be more so once the business cycle revives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 11:50 pm:

Let me just put my two cents in: the A's will remain here in Oakland. And I still feel that there is some behind the scenes action going on for the downtown site. I mean, why else would Bobb, Brown and Spees spend so much money on priliminary plans for a downtown design from HOK? And DLF suggested that Schott play a part in the redevelopment of that area along with Forrest city. Lets keep this opptomistic guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:17 am:

Great lab joke...Like we have never heard that before...I guess it's better the cow pie central called Sacramento...b69

ps-what do measn by hike hike
and there is no R in bubba

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 10:23 am:

hey was just having fun like 69 72 hike in football is all ok lighten up! , sorry the only thing good about the south bay is it is close to santa cruz and margarita ville.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 10:29 am:

That we can agree on...pass the salt and the lime!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 02:35 pm:

What happened to the Coliseum ballpark idea? It wouldn't be as nice as a downtown park, but it would have all the pluses of the Coliseum with better looks. And it would keep the A's in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 08:56 am:

sacto, easy on your slamming every community that isn't sac!! Do I detect some jealousy? I live in the South Bay and enjoy it very much. The weather is fantastic (we get the ocean and bay breezes unlike swealtering Sac), there's plenty of outdoor activities to do, and like you said, very close to the beaches. How many times have you even been to the South Bay??
However, I feel that the A's belong in OAKLAND.
My wish is that they would just renovate the Coliseum: bring back the old bleachers and bring in the stands a bit to make the place more intimate. Spend $2 million instead of $400M. I'm sure Al would never go for that but I think it would be ideal for the A's.
As far as Warm Springs I just don't think that will ever happen. The Fremont A's?? No way. You're 30 minutes from Oakland but can you really still call them the Oakland A's if they're in Fremont? That doesn't really make sense either. And as was mentioned previously, the Silicon Valley Dollars are shrinking by the day. No signs of recovery and every day more layoffs. Of course it will turn around some day but right now the mood is negative and gloomy. No ballpark in Fremont.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 09:12 am:

Kevin....2 million would not even get the ball started on what you suggest....more like 150 million to do those improvements. Still cheaper the 400 mill but it will never happen. They thought about dropping the feild once but the water table is to close to do that. As for freakmont where do the NY Jets and the NY Giants play? Hell in a different state!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 09:42 am:

Kevink,

hey lighten up just fooling around i like south bay it is nice actualy it is alot like carm, fair oaks ,sunrise area of sacto where i am from so i do like s.bay just not for the A's .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 10:02 am:

Bubba, you're right it would be more than $2Mil I just threw that out there. Even if they only brought back the old bleachers, lots of folks would be very, very happy.
sacto, stop ripping people and places and then telling everyone to lighten up. Yes, part of the south bay are similar to Sac, and you don't like it for the A's, so why would you like Sac for the A's? I think it's being selfish on your part. Having pro baseball 10 minutes from where I live would also be nice but I don't want the A's down here because they are the OAKLAND A's in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 10:22 am:

kenvink,

Sacramento and S. bay are apples and oranges when it comes to a baseball teams location, sacramento is a city of around 2 mill and has the reputation and is is known as an avid sports town especially a baseball town, it has easy access to get to most any place in Sacto especially the down town area where a staduim would be built,we have led the minors in attendance with over 900k for 3 yrs running now so there would be no question the support for the A's, they would draw from redding to reno to contra costa counties to n. bay all within 1-2 hrs drive.

The south bay has no independant identity like sacto, besides san Jose which no one takes seriously in northern california anyway it is not a big name area with lots of local media like sacramento,when people mention the bay aea it is san fran or Oakland not San Jose. with bay area traffic it is not convenient to travel to the south bay cities like S.J. and like and would not be condusive for north bay people or sacto people to drive down there.

I like the area do not get me wrong but to have a major league baseball team is another thing, yes they support the sharks but hockey and baseball are 2 different things and yes they have corporate sponsorship but sadcramento is catching up fast on that.

Oakland is fine with me it is still close enought 2 hrs form sacto and centrally located in the bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 12:28 pm:

I'm not sure I'd say Sacramento is catching up fast on the corporate sponsors. The Kings are still hunting to drum up every last one they can find and they still say its tough.

I don't think Sac could support a MLB franchise because the indicators were, even after they got the Rivercats, people weren't going to be willing to spend the money it takes to support baseball at the major league level. Even tho they made sure that Raley Field was expandable to 40,000 or so seats, I don't see them bringing the A's up here or any other major league team for that matter.

Keep the A's in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

Sactodavey,

sorry, just don't agree about the A's in Sac. I'm sure Sac is one of the largest cities with a minor league team (outside of the SJ Giants), and that, plus the pleasant nighttime temperatures are big reasons for the sellouts.

Moving is too much of a hassle.

Let's just keep em in Oakland!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

Ya lets keep em in Oakland and go Sharks i do like San Jose just wish it were easier to get there with the bottle neck 880 and 680.

GO A's
Go sharks!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 09:05 pm:

Anybody hear anything new on Fremont?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 11:18 pm:

I drove through that area yesterday and all I can say is that it's freaking far away and the road construction is never-ending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 09:33 am:

I spoke with someone with inside info a couple of days ago. When I asked about the Fremont site, I was told that Haggerty continues to pursue the possibility of building a park there, without public funds. The same person with inside info told me that it was a pipe dream which will never happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 06:38 am:

The Fremont site isn't the right place to build a new ballpark. It's just a few blocks away from a residentual area and it's far from any downtown area. All these new parks are being built in or near the downtown of cities except a few. If this park is built there, it'll be a Miller Park clone. Built in the middle of nowhere and it has no chance of being a jewel of a park.

I hope the Uptown Site is still available. That is the best site. A dropback of the the downtown Oakland skyline and Lake Merrit lights at night just a few blocks away would be a beautiful site. I know it's on life support but I truly hope city officials like Robert Bobb and Dick Spees has something going on behind the scenes with that site regarding a new park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:15 am:

I heard Robert Bobb will stay at his post for at least another year. Dick Spees is retiring this year but will continue active as a prominent civic leader and will contribute with his passion for this project.

The project for the Uptown Oakland ballpark is not dead. But it will only happen when/if this present ownership sells the team. Let's just keep our fingers crossed it will happen soon rather than later.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.