Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Playoff Ticket Pricing

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Playoff Ticket Pricing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:07 pm:

10/1 vs. MIN @ Oakland
10/2 vs. MIN @ Oakland
10/3 OFF
10/4 vs. MIN @ Minnesota
10/5 vs. MIN @ Minnesota (if necessary)
10/6 vs. MIN @ Oakland (if necessary)

That's all we know right now. Game times have not been announced. Hope that helps Dorrit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:24 pm:

Thank you. We'll be content with Mt. Davis, if that's all that's left. To see that celebration in the locker room was a joy. And can Justice dance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:24 pm:

A reminder that ALCS tickets go on sale already on Saturday. I wish they'd wait at least until the ALDS starts to put the tickets on sale. World Series tickets will probably go sale after the ALDS then I'm guessing if the A's advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:26 pm:

Considering there is still a few single field level tickets available even for Game 1 I'm not even sure if they'll even need to use Mt. Davis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By phil on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 09:32 am:

Here is Barry Witt's article on the subject:
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/sports/baseball/mlb/oakland_athletics/4162708.htm

Alioto is quoted saying that sales are way ahead of last year... but judging by the way the announcers keep saying that good seats are still available, I'm not convinced. I went to www.oaklandathletics.com to see what was available, and was able to find 2 field level seats in section 114. I then tried to get 8 seats together, and was able to get them in section 111.

We'll see soon enough how packed the stadium is.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 09:44 am:

I think the A's made a big mistake with their pricing. Game 1 maybe will get 45K but after that I think it will be tough to sell out, and it's all not worth it for all the ridicule the A's fans will get from the media for not selling out in the post season.
Maybe they're figuring they can average 45K in the playoffs at these prices which is better than 50K at lower prices?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:02 am:

I think the mistake is in not taking into account what teams the A's would be facing in the Division and League series. The WS is an event on its own and will always draw the even crowd, no matter who is playing or where they're playing. I'm sure they would pack the house for the WS if the A's were to get there. I hope.

I'm sure that had the A's clinched the wild card and were going to play the Yankees, the Coli would sell out, including Mount Davis, because of the huge Yankee fandom (everybody loves a winner and most of the Yankee fans that come to the Coli have never stepped a foot in Staten Island...many of them yankee fans are gnats fans dressed up as would-be winners).

I doubt they will get that kind of crowd to watch the A's play the Twins for the price they are asking.

ps: and kevin is right...at the end the ess eff mediots will all play selig's and schott's card saying oakland is just not a baseball town...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:19 am:

So much for input from the fans (only one quote).

Advertising has had conflicting information. Sometime you hear "only upper deck and bleachers" available; sometimes, "good seats still available." I guess it depends on your definition of "good seats."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:21 am:

Just to note the one quoted fan was me. It was pretty much in context although my last line about regular fans being shut out was in reference to the World Series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:28 am:

good job yc...I was wondering if that had been you or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:38 am:

Jer, when do you suppose the playoff game times will be announced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:47 am:

I just checked with our people "upstairs", and as of this morning MLB has not determined any game times, nor do they have an anticipated announcement. If I hear anything, I'll let you guys know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:49 am:

By all accounts I've read and heard it'll be 1pm starts for both games. There had a been a thought of having 8pm starts for those games but then there would be a possible overlap with the Yankee game at 5pm. As usual everything is done to accomodate the Yankees and their fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kenarneson on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

How long do you think the Fox executives were dancing on the tables last night when they got a
New York-SoCal matchup in the division series?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By greenandgold on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 02:03 am:

Yes, the price comparisons are shocking, but the playoffs are so special, putting it all in perspective, I really wouldn't complain.
The A's probably have the lowest regular season prices in MLB.
They sold seats at half-price for the final homestand...when it was important to pack fans in to cheer them on.
No one else offers a dozen or so $1 games.
You could pretty much spend just as much at a regular season Warriors or Sharks game as for one of these playoff games...I think there's no question where the better value is in that comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By voxhoo on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 09:53 am:

The A's will probably lose money by raising ticket prices so high. They only get concessions and parking money for games 1&2 in the ALDS and home games 1&2 in the ALCS, no gate revenue. So, anything less than a sellout means lost revenue. But, if they get to game 5, then they'll come out ahead.

Link to story:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/09/28/BU100201.DTL

"In a best-of-seven series, gate revenue from the first four games goes to the players, while teams split the money 50-50 for games 5, 6 and 7, if they are played."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:27 am:

Nobody doubts the value of the playoffs and how expensive the tickets are once your team makes it. I'm not asking for them to make game 2 a dollar wednesday. Nobody told Schott to discount his final homestand tickets, that was his decision. And he did it to get more people there true, but he also knew that getting more people there gave him more concession money than he would have had if those seats went unsold as they very well might have. So I don't think he's crying about that at all.

My beef is this....why double and nearly triple the price of the WS tickets? I really have no issue about the ALDS, and ALCS prices. I don't even have an issue with the field level and plaza level prices really. The prices are that high because you have young players to re-sign? Why don't they just tell me they needed the money as revenue sharing for the Tooth Fairy as much as I believe they will gain enough revenue money to re-sign the nucleus of the team. The tix prices of the other oakland teams doesn't matter because there has ALWAYS been that difference in price because they have fewer gate dates. However, I could see the day when if this works, we'll be paying 20 bucks to park at the coli and only Mt. Davis will be considered family friendly priced seating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kenarneson on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 01:05 pm:

Prices of products have nothing to do with the cost of making the product, in any business.

The A's set their WS prices that high, because that's the price where they estimate they'll maximize their revenues. It doesn't matter whether the money will go into Tejada's pocket, or Schott's, or the tooth fairy's. The price that maximizes revenues will be the same.

Their estimate may be wrong. I have no idea. The proof will be in the pudding: if the tickets sell out.

Another thing to consider about the WS prices: even if they don't make it to the series, they've essentially gotten a one-month interest-free loan from all of us who paid in advance. They're collecting the interest on my $1,137 strip instead of me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 01:34 pm:

Hey, I don't begrudge the A's trying to maximize their revenues, although I feel they could have catered a bit more to their loyal fanbase who can't afford the high end premium seating plans.
What I don't like is what I will probably read re the the lack of fan support in Oakland when/if their estimate of demand turns out to be wrong.

People will quickly forget about the wrong estimates and will only focus on the end result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

Lil, you are right.
The media will jump all over a non-sellout in post season. Then we will hear tired comments like "see they don't deserve a baseball team, they can't even sell out playoff games" and "this would NEVER happen in New York!"

I understand the point of trying to make a profit, and I'm not concerned with where my money is going. I just think the A's hurt themselves a lot more than just monetary profits if these high prices were indeed a mistake. We'll know after wednesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 02:52 pm:

We finally got three tickets for Tuesday, although my daughter will play hookey from school.At first, they said 5:00 p.m. start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 05:47 pm:

Its not looking good for Game 1 already. Still a few single seat field level tickets available and appears to be a lot of upper deck unsold to this point. I really hope a lot of people are planning on walking up or this does not look good at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 06:02 pm:

There are 4 seats together still available both at the third deck and bleachers as of just now.

I'm listening to Bill King during the broadcast saying that A's fans should realize how intrumental the fans have been for the team. He is also saying that A's fans should not underestimate the Twins and that the team really neads a big turnout. He is really sounding like he is pleading for a fan turnout...Art Howe did the same on his pre-game show.

This is really not a good sign...

At the same time Korach and Bill King are saying that nobody knows yet the times and that it is even possible for some games to be played at 10:30am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 06:42 pm:

As if today, times are still not official according to Star Tribune

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/3331830.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 06:45 pm:

I think this is part of the problem. Without definate times, people don't know how to flex their time, or even if they can. But, we'll hear it if we don't sell. Especially from the pro-Giants side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 07:23 pm:

Conspiracy theory (Jeff B, where are you?):

Butthead is trying to screw the A's again by delaying the announcement of the game times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 09:23 am:

The Chron John Shea this morning:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2002/09/29/SP88868.DTL

A's hitting fans where it hurts-wallets

The A's have a better pitching rotation than the Giants, and maybe that's why they're charging more for tickets for the first round of the playoffs. The most obvious example: Bleacher seats at Pacific Bell Park cost $15, while they're $35 at the Coliseum.

-- he A's are charging higher prices for one reason: They're more in need of revenue. By the way, those $35 bleacher seats were swooped up as if they were two bits apiece.

Well, John Shea is not well informed at all...as of just now I could get 8 tickets TOGETHER both at the plaza bleachers and at upper reserved (in section 224)

That is not a good indication the tickets have been swooped up at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 12:37 pm:

I think he was referring to regular bleachers which are sold out for Games 1 & 2. Actually you can buy a whole row in the upper deck and that would be in section 308! I believe that probably more than half the upper deck is unsold. Forget sell out I'm hoping they at least break 40,000. At least we know we'll have more fans than the Braves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

They'll only maximize that revenue if people buy them at that price. If you project a sellout, then maybe so but you do ultimately have to sell the tickets.

If the A's had said, you know what I want range my prices so the most valueable seats behind the plate MVP area - folks are going to have to put down 200 bucks, and folks sitting field level infield are going to have to shell out 150, field level outfield 100, plaza club 135, plaza infield 125, plaza outfield 75, entire upper deck 60, bleachers 55 and Mt Davis 30. I'm sure they would have maximized profits and given fans who trudge out there during the regular season more of an opportunity to go and not have to do so at the expense of going to games in the earlier rounds.

It does matter where the money goes because Aliotto has already gone public and said it is directly related to their need to re-sign their young talent base. After they win the Series, for Schott to come out next year and start his annual whine about how he can't sign so and so because.......... he will be facetious (not like he already isn't taken that way). Because he knows as well as I do that he isn't likely to make the money necessary in one single post season year to make the revenue necessary to secure everybody who wants to come back. I'm also sure that he can project maximizing revenues beyond more than one year given the talent his team has and it's ability to be competitive with a low payroll comparitively speaking.

I know Schott is a patron of the Arts and the Bay Area arts do price themselves this way for special events. But unlike some hot broadway show or ballet, baseball fans can chose to make their "event" a party around a big screen TV somewhere and not by parking themselves in seats at the Coli, if being there at the tune of $110 bucks minimum doesn't strike their wallet's fancy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 06:41 pm:

What an absolute blunder this pricing fiasco has been. Leave it to Schott! Any chance they will realize their mistake and lower prices for the Series if the A's make it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:59 pm:

I thought MLB set the prices for the WS. (Of course, I thought that about playoff tix in general, and I was wrong!)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.