Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Rolen's reported contract give more hope for retaining Tejada?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Rolen's reported contract give more hope for retaining Tejada?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:08 am:

If the reports are true, Rolen is about to sign for 8 yrs. for an average of $11mil per. He is only one year older than Tejada and has better offensive #s (considerably) in all categories, besides being an outstanding 3rd baseman (possibly the best in the game). The timing for this may be great, unless Tejada does hire Boras and elects to try free agency.

On the other hand, if he means what he says about wanting to stay, it seems reasonable to me, that a deal in the neighborhood of $11-12mil per year could be worked out. Unlike whatshisname, I would think he would accept backloading, and also incentives could be added.

To me, this is why the A's getting to the WS is so important ... because of the added revenue and hopefully, resulting in a more generous ownership. But anyway, I find Rolen's contract to be a real positive in its timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavy4ever on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 07:49 am:

since the ownership let Giambi walk, I'm not holding my breath about Tejada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 09:32 am:

I actually have a good feeling about Tejada returning. Schott has ALL these players talking about wanting to remain here, wanting to play here with this group, Tejada standing front and center among them. If his motives for high ticket prices was re-signing players then he'll have to put up or else all this PR work he's doing will have gone for naught and he can't spin it like he did Giambi's departure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 11:57 am:

I too, have a good feeling about Tejada returning. Actually, if you read Gammons' column about the financial gloom facing owners and the fact it will translate into a tougher (high payroll) mkt. for FAs, this could also factor into Tejada's thinking. Unless he wants to join the NY Mets in '04. Indications are that teams such as the Braves, Dodgers, Seattle, will be not be looking to add payroll. Let's hope it all bodes well for ownership opening their pocketbook enough to keep him. This is not like the Giambi situation. It is a 5 tool players 6 yrs. younger vs. a 33yr old one dimensional player. Cut it anyway you like, Yankees paid way too much for him.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.