Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Oakland Fans and Attendance

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Oakland Fans and Attendance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:21 pm:

Why must we constantly discuss the issue of attendance? Why must we feel bad if 32,000 people show up for a playoff game?

Fans should not be EXPECTED to come out... regardless of whether it's the playoffs or not.

For christs sake, fans can do whatever the hell they want to do... it's not like we're talking about voting for the Senate here. This is baseball. A game.

The media wants to make fun of Oakland because they have less fans than New York. That's ridiculous.

New York is where baseball was invented. They've been playing major league ball there for almost 150 years. Sons have fathers, grandfathers, great-grandfathers, etc... that have been following their teams. It's tradition.

They also have over 20 million people in the metro region.

Oakland on the other hand has only had major league baseball since 1968. The tradition here has had much less time to develop and the population is significantly smaller.

So of course Oakland will draw less fans than New York. It's logical and anyone who steps back can see that.

But the teams want the fans to feel guilty if their fellow citizens don't pack the place every night. And the media will play right along with it.

And it seems everyone on this board is playing along too.

Let it go. It doesn't matter. It's not a bad reflection on A's fans or Oaklanders if 32,000 instead of 42,000 show up for a playoff game.

And remember, 32,000 is still a hell of a lot of people. It's far more than most rock concerts ever see. It's more than twice as much as saw the "shot heard round the world" game in 1951. And it's not that much less than the capacity at Fenway.

So let it go and concentrate on the game instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

THANK YOU CHRIS! I lurk here to talk about my beloved A's, not to wring my hands over problems that are not mine and that I can't influence (which is why I haven't posted in quite some time). Had to respond to you, though, because I am in total agreement with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 02:36 pm:

Yes the history and the enormous population of the New York area have a lot to do with attendance there but winning teams almost EVERY year certainly keep their attendance at or near the top in the league.

Don't forget in the late 80's it was the YANKEES struggling to draw 2 million fans while the A's were the ones setting records at the gate. Of course everyone has short memories and all the media wants to point out is that baseball doesn't work in Oakland because they drew 34K instead of 40K for a couple of games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

Well Chris, the attendance bothered the A's,too.I think it's good for us to realize that the media plays a part in jabbing negative publicity about it.But, it doesn't hurt us to discuss it.Alot of fans never came back since '94.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

Also with the added playoff format the playoffs are watered down and the first round does not have the meaning like 10 yrs ago when the playoffs went straight into athe ACS series, we have benefited by playing the Yanks the last 2 yrs but and even gm 5 in 2000 did not sell out nor did gm 4 last year but if we advance more excitment will be generated because the next series means much more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By parlay2k on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 07:11 pm:

Rightly or wrongly, it just makes our argument that Oakland can support (or wants to support) an MLB team more difficult to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 07:31 pm:

We all know better...but, it does, unfortunately, give firepower to the Peter Magowans/Barbieris out there.

On the other hand, it helps the argument for having a new downtown Oakland ballpark easier to make because it will translate into less available seats than the 55,000 at the Coliseum, which in turn drives up demand for big event games. Not to mention how the spike in season ticket sales at a new ballpark will make it easier to sell future playoff tickets since they're often tied into each other.

Atlanta hasn't sold out many NLDS games over the years and I've yet to see anyone question their viability as a baseball market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:05 pm:

If this helps, the A's were disappointed with the attendance, but Mark Mulder blames MLB.(Oak Trib)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 02:52 am:

That's because they have corporate money behind them and their ownership spends more than 40 mil on payroll. If the A's had corporate money behind it and was a payor instead of a payee in terms of revenue sharing, you wouldn't hear it either. The media does carp on the lack of fan support in Atlanta tho. They've been ripped for years for not supporting the pro teams they have there. That has been continual talk show fodder ever since the playoffs started, and in previous years. This year the talk was that nobody was going to go to see the Braves because the playoffs had become so routine there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 05:55 pm:

The A's also don't do a great job of binding fans to the team. The Twins had a "breakfast at the Square" before Friday's game. Team sponsored donuts, cofee and newspapers at the park - at 6:30 AM. That's the kind of marketing that makes your consumers loyal. A's lock the porta potties in the parking lot after games, and don't provide shuttles to the overflow parking lot during playoff games. Not the way to win people over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 08:55 am:

well as i am getting ready for the drive to oak town checking the A's site for tix , you can still get tix on the second deck by foul pole, 3rd deck sec 321 available easyily man oh man i think only 30k hear today this would be an absolute embarassment!!!!!!

lets pray for a huuuuge walkup crowd.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.