Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

ART HOWE

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: ART HOWE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 12:46 pm:

ok for all of you Howe lovers i do not blame Howe for the errors that made it 5-2 but how can a manager keep putting in a guy like lilly who did nothing to contribute to a team winning 103 games and is puke ass bad period ? Howe is such a stupid manager and if the A's lose tommorow he has to be canned, only Howe can be blamed for the lousy pitching rotation (read Glen Ficky's columm)and dumb ASS Howe instead of using bradford, Mecir even Bowie chooses to put out there a guy who couldn't pitch little league ball right now destroying any chance for the A's to come back this game period!!

These playoffs expose how stupid this guy really is something i have been saying all year, even in gm 1 if he used rincoon we would have swept but nooooo he never learns and keeps getting out managed in the playoffs time after time, if we don't advance i pray he gets fired cause this team has been underachieving in the big time for 2 yrs now!!! now way should the twins have us even after 4 games no way!!!!

i know Lill and others will come to this guys rescue but he is costing you peope the glory of seeing this club become champs, any manager can win in the reg with the pure talent this club has but it is the crucial decisions in the heat of post season that show the real mettle of a manager he keep making simple mistakes obvious errors i don't blame him if he puts in a bradford and this guy serves up a golpher why? cause he helped get us there and was a vtal part of our success and this is baseball ,but he keeps puttin in a gy who definelty is not Sound and has not shown anythng at all an was not on this team 95% of the year go figure stupid ass howe!!!!!!.

Don't get me wrong they might not have won anyway but he basically quite in the 4th innn on his team, looking at thier faces oin the bench they are shell shocked!!!! Lilly was the one guy who could keep throwing the gas on the fire so ok lets bring him in and wave the fregen white flag good going Howe.

MANAGER OF THE YEAR: MIKE SOCIA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

I was really surprised they brought Lilly back, after he bombed before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zitoluver on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 05:45 pm:

I know, it was just like watching a repeat of game 1, except the A's got absolutely destroyed today. Wouldn't it have been nice if Mulder piched the first day and then came back for game 4 and this series would be over (granted that he won the second game?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 09:04 pm:

It was gonna take a miracle for the A's to win today. Better to use Lilly today than somebody who might be needed on Sunday in a crucial situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 09:29 pm:

take a miricle who says being down 5-2 is insurmaountable, man Howe through in the white flag in the fregen 4th inn this is the worst reasoning i have ever heard from anyone on this board yet.

he had a whole bullpen all but 2 and they have not had work they needed work today for tommorow they will be rusty why not give them work and not give up on the game he with even the little IQ he has got had to reason Lilly is damaged right now this is the dam playoffs man every inn counts, look at torre even down 9-4 he makes a pitching change in the 8th inn with 2 OUTS why ?he knows every inn counts this from a guy who has 4 w.s. titles Howe can't even wipe his jock let alone carry it , i'm still ticked at this guy we call our manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 09:36 pm:

I'm not gonna jump on the Howe bashing completely but if the A's lose tommorrow he won't even get his annual one year extension. I don't think he will be fired because of the p.r. nightmare of firing a guy who could end up winning the Manager of the Year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 10:10 pm:

I get a strong feeling though it will be the Angel's manager who makes it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 10:52 pm:

Yeah it was 5-2 in the 4th inning. Bringing in Lilly again was a head scratcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By padgett on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 10:30 am:

The decision to use Lilly in this series, especially in two high-pressure situations, is absolutely mind-boggling. After racking my brain since game 1, the only explanation I can come up with is that somehow an order from up high came down to put Lilly in to prove he was a quality acquisition.

As much as I was miffed at Art Howe, I find it very hard to believe that he would suddenly abandon his usual bullpen approach. It's been well-documented that Billy Beane has a great deal of faith in Ted Lilly, and because he was injured so quickly after coming over, I'm sure Beane has been anxious to prove his worth. I doubt that Beane has called down to the dugout to give Howe explicit in-game instructions, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some pressure applied.

I understand that Lilly's numbers may be outstanding, but nobody, not even Beane, can argue pursuasively that he's 100% ready to pitch in the postseason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 10:50 am:

The only theory I have about them using Lilly is that the Twins can't hit lefties. Well they couldn't really hit Mulder, Zito, Rincon but they sure can hit Lilly. At least we know he won't be used today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By padgett on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 11:15 am:

The Twins' failures against lefthanded pitching has been well-publicized, but that doesn't offset the fact that Lilly simply isn't ready to pitch. The games he started after coming off the DL were wholly unimpressive, yet apparently they were seen as sufficient proof that he was ready to be a big-game pitcher in relief situations for which he had no preparation. Any set of statistics showing Lilly's advantage against lefties have to be read with the understanding that they were compiled primarily before he was injured.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.