Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

article"A's Schott Ought To Shut Mouth, Open Wallet"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: article"A's Schott Ought To Shut Mouth, Open Wallet"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 08:49 am:

Interesting article by Monte Poole in Oakland Trib today.Any article that tells Schott to shut his mouth, makes me pay attention!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 08:54 am:

Also, see David Steele's column on the Gate this morning. He tells it just like it is. I already sent him email encouraging him to continue to inform readers about the truth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 09:05 am:

Thank you,deajay-that was a great article by Steele. But, did you see that idiots "The Betting Fools" column. That is the worst article ripping the A's that I've seen..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 09:12 am:

dorrit, I don't read Betting Fool and I have to say I am not interested in what such a full blown idiot (who really doesn't even qualify as a wannabe sportswriter) has to say. It only makes me mad and then I would be guilty of sending what should be a totally censored response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 09:18 am:

I don't read the Betting Fool and I have stopped reading his writing look alike Del Grande. They are on my bozo ignore list.

I haven't read any of the columns you folks are talking about. Soon I'll read them and link them here unless one of you kind people would like to do it for me :')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 09:25 am:

David Steele's column:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2002/10/09/SP166132.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 09:28 am:

Best line from Steele's column: Schott makes Al Davis, still playing city against city in any available courtroom, look like Gandhi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 09:48 am:

That's a great, great column. It's so rare to read someone who gets it, and who has a command of the facts...I'm almost shocked. I'm going to follow deajay's lead and e-mail David Steele a big thank you for today's column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 09:52 am:

Here's three links from the Oak Trib including Monte's and Stewards.

The first link unfortunately gives you a chill and prepares you for the loss of Miguel Tejada.

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E10835%257E910410,00.html

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1743%257E,00.html

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1747%257E,00.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 10:50 am:

All I can say is it is about time someone took this asshole to task. We all have known for a while what a carpetbagger this bafoon is. Now this shit.....F*ck You Steve Schott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 11:19 am:

I think Mr. Schott new horse oriented new PR guys is probably sorry he decided to take the job. I don't think he counted on Schott suffering from chronic foot in the mouth disease.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Tue, Oct. 08, 2002
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/sports/baseball/mlb/oakland_athletics/4236994.htm

NEIL HAYES: TIMES COLUMNIST
Time for A's ownership to step up

If Schott and sidekick want to win, they will need to ante up

KENT HULL'S NAME was added to the wall of fame at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Sunday, but not before the popular former Buffalo Bills center made one final request: He wanted to snap the ball to Jim Kelly one more time.

It wasn't until later in the day, after the A's had been eliminated from the division series for the third straight season, that the scene lent perspective to the current situation facing the A's.

It's 2010 and the A's are hosting a ceremony for the retiring Barry Zito, who wants to throw one more curveball to Ramon Hernandez before he walks off the Network Associates Coliseum Field for the last time.

There they are, just like Kelly and Hull, back in the arena where they once starred, hearing the polite applause -- two guys who never won anything of consequence.

Steve Schott has a decision to make that will shape the future of the franchise, and it has nothing to do with Art Howe's future as manager.

The A's owner must put his ego aside and decide what's most important to him, winning a World Series or his organization's financial bottom line.

His is a potential dynasty in a desperate search for an identity, any identity other than the one it's currently flirting with. The last franchise to lose postseason series in three straight years was the Pittsburgh Pirates of the early 1990s. Their legacy, like the four-time Super Bowl loser Buffalo Bills, is one of restrained nostalgia mixed with bitter disappointment.

Schott wants to keep the A's in the black, even if they do end up losing a few dollars this season. He's clear on this point. He wants to win a World Series, but he also insists that the franchise pay a dividend.

He wants it all, in other words. He's competitive and he desperately wants to accept a world championship trophy from Bud Selig. His business sense helped him amass a fortune and makes him want to run this company like any other, which means the money paid out must be replaced with money coming in.

If the last three years are any indication, that formula won't produce the results he seeks. He can claim that the A's should've beaten the New York Yankees last season. He can argue that his A's are superior to the Minnesota Twins, who defeated the A's in five games to advance to the American League Championship Series to play the Anaheim Angels.

But that's a loser's mentality. Baseball is a results-oriented business, and the results from the A's past three playoff runs speak for themselves.

Schott has taken pride in the accomplishments of a team with the league's second cheapest payroll. But now it sounds more like an excuse. Until proven otherwise, the small-budget A's are the Little Engine that Couldn't.

If Schott and his silent sidekick Ken Hofmann are serious about winning a World Series, it's time for them to ante up. Their team needs a left fielder, a power-hitting first baseman and a catcher who can out-produce Hernandez.

He doesn't need to try to outspend the Boston Red Sox or Yankees, or even the cross-bay Giants, for that matter. Just think what general manager Billy Beane could do if he had a payroll that ranked 18th instead of 28th.

Schott can whine about attendance all he wants, even when his exorbitant playoff ticket prices drove away many fans. He can clang the bell for a new ballpark until Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown is forced to take notice.

But it all comes down to how bad he wants to win. The new collective bargaining agreement will funnel about $5 million to $6 million his way next season. He bought low and he'll sell high, and everybody knows he will unburden himself of the franchise the moment an investor group makes him an offer he can't refuse.

Meantime, his legacy and the A's legacy awaits definition. What's it going to be? If things remain the same, the A's will be remembered as the greatest dynasty that never was. Everyone will wonder what could've been.

The worst possible scenario involves the A's being remembered like the Bills in Buffalo -- a team that won everything short of a championship.

He claims he wants to win the World Series. It's time he proves it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Neil Hayes at nhayes@cctimes.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 01:19 pm:

Schott speaks

A's co-owner Steve Schott said he was unhappy with the turnout for his team's three home games during the ALDS. The A's averaged only 33,467 per contest. The Twins, by comparison, drew an average of 55,946.

"I believe that having a strong home crowd is like the 10th player," he said. "For Minnesota it was, believe me. For us, it was something we had to overcome."

Schott also said that charging $35 for a bleacher seat -- the cheapest in the park -- wasn't out of line.

"I really have to laugh at that," he said. "I don't know, maybe the park hurt us."
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/sports/baseball/mlb/oakland_athletics/4236998.htm

Schott hasn't hidden his desire for a new ballpark, but he said the playoff turnout has dampened his enthusiasm that one will get built.

"It doesn't get me excited about putting any money into one, let's put it that way," he said.

I have a question and something I would love to confirm if anybody can find the information from a reliable source. On Sunday, somebody at the ballpark mentioned they had heard on the radio that the Twins cut prices to $10 for the upper reserve seats at the dome. And they also said that parking was cut 50% for the playoffs, which still doens't tell me how much they did charge for parking.

Also, something somebody should remind Mr Schitt is that the Twins averaged 23,7 per game and drew 1,924 in 2002 while the A's averaged 26,7 and drew 2,169...and I just don't want to hear about the dollar wednesday's for the A's. They only sold around 8 to 10K tickets on dollar wednesdays and the Twins ticket prices are much lower than the A's with a slew of tickets being sold for $5 to ALL home games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 01:34 pm:

From Neil Hayes yesterday:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/sports/columnists/neil_hayes/4236994.htm

Time for A's Owners to Step Up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 01:48 pm:

Ooops, Lil already posted the Hayes column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 03:10 pm:

If Schott really believes how important it was to have those seats filled, the idiot would have cut the price to $10 had them filled, and still made more $ than the few who bought them for $35. The math is real simple. A family of four gets in for $40 instead of $140. Even at the last minute, that would have brought additional fans out. He's a sharp enough businessman to have figured that out. Bottom line: this man has a different agenda. Also, I should think if this new PR guy he hired is any good, he pulled whatever hair he had left out of his head after reading Schott's statements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 03:37 pm:

Sorry, I didn't see this posted. I posted this article in the off field section. Steele wrote a great article articulating exactly what we A's fans have said all along. I wish this jackass schott would just dry up and go away, leaving us our team. The gall of this prick making it sound like it was our fault for the "low attendance". What horse shi... It also burns me up that the idiots who run KTVU in Oakland would be such insensitive morans. Especially when you have some dumb, blonde bimbo making statements that the F...ing Giants will bring a WS championship trophy to the bay area for the first time. Gawd! What a stupid, ignorant thing to state. Aaarrrgggghhh!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yankeefan on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 05:57 pm:

Thank god for George! An owner who wants to win!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 06:03 pm:

Let me enhance your thank you to George yankeefan...

Thank god for George, a presidential pardoned convicted MLB owner who made so much money because MLB allows him to keep the NY territory and share it only with the Mets when he should be sharing it with at least two more teams!

Wanting to win comes easy for King George yankeefan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 07:35 pm:

I found the info on how much the Twins were charged for their playoff tickets:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/3820001.htm

Posted on Thu, Aug. 08, 2002

Charley Walters: Twins planning for playoff push
CHARLEY WALTERS
Pioneer Press Columnist

The Twins on Wednesday mailed Metrodome playoff invoices to season-ticket holders, who will receive priority for postseason purchases. Tickets must be purchased in 11-game strips, with prices ranging from $370 to $1,040.

Prices for three potential Twins home division playoff games range from $10 to $40 a game; for four potential home league championship games, $25 to $85 a game, and for four potential World Series games in the Metrodome, $60 to $145 a game. A postcard procedure for a random drawing for the public to buy postseason tickets will be announced next week.

Mr Schott will have to receive a note reminding him why the Twins had 55 K at their games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yankeefan on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 07:57 pm:

I feel your pain. I am just a working stiff like most people, and I can't afford post season tickets either. Bleacher seats (I have never sat there, but I'm sure they suck) were $30, upper deck seats were $50, and any other decent seat started at $70.

By the time you take someone, park, buy hot dogs an a beer, you are in the several hundreds of dollars! It sucks! I didn't go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 08:04 pm:

the A's upper deck and bleachers were $35 at the Coli

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 10:16 pm:

David Steele's column was terrific! I'd like to tattoo it to Schitt's butt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.