Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Oakland Fans' Response to Schott

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Oakland Fans' Response to Schott
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 08:07 pm:

When the Schott Hits the Fans

http://www.oaklandfans.com/columns/htf/column126.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 12:34 am:

Great article! I sure hope more media types come forward and expose Mr. Schott for what he really is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 08:53 am:

Some letters to the Oakland Trib and another writer who was paying attention linked below the fans opinions.

Article Last Updated:
Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 8:36:53 AM MST
http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1726%257E920377,00.html

YourTurn: 'A disgrace'

THE HIGH prices for playoff tickets are a disgrace to the A's management. Real dumb and an insult to the fans.
Frank Blackburn

San Francisco 'Disappointed'

MY DAUGHTER and I have been to 22 A's games this year. I went to one playoff game and was disappointed. In his column, Carl Steward forgot to mention that there was a non-refundable $7 surcharge tacked onto each $35 ticket. He also didn't mention that parking went from $10 to $15, and that a beer went from $6.25 to $7.50. Need I go on?

Dave Bright

Pleasanton 'Why'

ICHECKED both the Twins' and Angels' Web sites -- the lowest-priced ticket in Anaheim for the first round was $10. The lowest in Minneapolis was $5. Why weren't the bleachers, third deck AND Mount Davis seats $15?

Kate Kruley

Newark 'Gouging'

WHEN compared to what other teams were charging for their least expensive tickets ($8-$15), it becomes clear that the A's were gouging their fans.

To add insult to injury, both Mr. Schott and Mr. Beane are criticizing A's fans for the poor attendance. These statements do nothing but further depress fan support. It seems that Mr. Schott has an especially gifted knack for making comments that irritate and turn off his fan base.

Garrett Mahoney

Oakland 'Fan-friendly'?

IMAGINE our surprise (at the ticket window) to be told that we had to pay an extra $7 "handling" charge. That was a hard pill to swallow and didn't make us feel like valued fans. The A's marketing department needs to do a little thinking about being more fan friendly.

Robert Mitchell

Fremont

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1726%257E920377,00.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

I saw these letters this morning, too. Good job,fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 10:51 pm:

Wait a minute...they charged a surcharge for people buying tickets day of game?!? Somebody really has to explain this one to me.

I know they get a kick back from Tickets.com, but charging people a nonrefundable fee for buying tickets at the ticket window?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 08:15 am:

So, instead of $35, the price went up to $42. That's what I call scamming off the top bigtime. So, in effect, the surcharge for "handling" (isn't that a crock?) at the window, was only $3 less than the cheapest tickets sold by other teams in the playoffs, and in some cases, $2 more. That is unbelievable!!!! You don't suppose Schitt was making a last attempt at greed before sailing off into the sunset? From a fan standpoint, he will never live this ripoff down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 08:24 am:

That's $42 for 3rd deck seats.

Unbelievable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ivorygums on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 09:22 am:

Its really hard for me, someone who has idolized Oakland but never seen them in their home stadium (i've went to Boston to see them a few times) to grasp this contraversy. Its definately gouging, but with the Canadian/American exchange rate, i paid about 35 canadian for some nosebleed seeds in Boston a few years back when they weren't even in a pennant race. I'm not looking down at the fans in Oakland by any streech.. Its just from my standpoint, i probably would have paid 50. Not everyone are diehards like us, is the point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 09:53 am:

Well, we weren't able to check if other teams didn't also charge an additional "handling" or surcharge nor if or how they were refunded, so we were hesitant to make such a public statement.

By what I read, that seems to be what the NY fans were complaining about since the "handling" fee per tickets is non-refundable.

All I know for certain is that I paid $25 of "handling" charge for the entire playoff strip
for my regular seat which in regular season is priced at $22 - they also charge one handling fee for the entire season of tickets.

So the charge for my post season strip was $1,132.00 plus the "handling" to total $1,157.00
The pre-paid parking pass was $185

I got refunded $140 for the un=used parking

got ref $982.00 for un-used tickets.

Which means they tacked the $25 handling onto the three tickets used so I paid $8 of handing per ticket of $50.

When you compare seat location, paying $58 for in field level is not exhorbitant, but paying $42 for third deck and pseudo bleachers (most with partial view of the outfield) is downright absurd.

PS: ivorygums, going to one event at a sold-out ballpark is a totally different story than purchasing for a couple to go to several games of 3 possible different searies. And besides, even PacBell Park which was practically sold out didn't hike up the prices such as the A's did.

The sad thing was that the fans who were shut out by the greed WERE the diehards who either could not afford to go to more than one game or two, or just plain refused to be have their good hard earned money extorted out of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cheese on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:24 am:

Regarding convenience fees:

Atlanta charged $3 per ticket.

St. Louis charged $5 per ticket plus $6 per order, but that was for Championship Series only. No extra charge for Divisional Series.

Oakland $7 per order (It was not per ticket). But still if you come by yourself it would be per ticket.

NY Yankees charged $4 per ticket.

I have a copy for ticket prices for all 8 teams.

At least Schott apologized for his remarks about the fans and the high ticket prices (in Sunday's Chronicle, Matier & Ross).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:47 am:

Well, thanks Cheese, for pointing that out to us.
I usually don't check Matier and Ross because they usually only report things about the A's when they find a negative slant and spin against Oakland. Here's the link and paste of relevant partL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/10/13/BA172308.DTL

OWNER'S BOX: Tough to say which will be harder for Oakland A's boss Steve Schott to get over -- his team's wrenching loss in the playoffs last week, or the PR disaster that followed his impromptu dig at the hometown fans.

"Indefensible," cringed one Schott loyalist after the co-owner publicly scoffed at suggestions that the A's minimum $35 ticket prices had kept fans at bay during the playoffs.

"Give me a break," Schott had said. "If you really have loyal fans . . ."

It didn't take long until sports columnists such as The Chronicle's David Steele were slamming Schott's comments -- Steele called them "more proof that Schott's ownership is and always has been all about cashing out."

By the end of the week, Schott was a lot more contrite.

"If I offended any of our fans in any way, shape or form, I apologize," Schott told us during an interview from his South Bay office.

Schott said his earlier broadside came out of his frustration over the A's loss in the division series to the Minnesota Twins.

Schott said the team had intended to offer $20 tickets for the "Mount Davis" nosebleed section of the Coliseum -- but that when the third deck didn't sell, the A's decided to keep Mount Davis closed.

"It was something that slipped through the cracks, and if I had a chance to do it over again . . ."

As for the whole flap?

"We are wrong," Schott said of the high ticket costs. "And we have to make sure that doesn't happen again when we get into the playoffs next year."

As for being in the limelight?

"I'm trying to be more up front, but when you're portrayed as someone who doesn't care, that's hard -- because it's just not true. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth."

By the way, Schott says he will be watching the cross-bay rival Giants on TV today -- just not from around here.

"My wife and I will be taking an overnight trip to Las Vegas to clear out our ears and minds."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.