Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Schott's apology to Fans

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Schott's apology to Fans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 01:40 pm:

I posted this under the thread Response from Fans
but didn't want people to miss this so I started this new thread.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/10/13/BA172308.DTL

OWNER'S BOX: Tough to say which will be harder for Oakland A's boss Steve Schott to get over -- his team's wrenching loss in the playoffs last week, or the PR disaster that followed his impromptu dig at the hometown fans.

"Indefensible," cringed one Schott loyalist after the co-owner publicly scoffed at suggestions that the A's minimum $35 ticket prices had kept fans at bay during the playoffs.

"Give me a break," Schott had said. "If you really have loyal fans . . ."

It didn't take long until sports columnists such as The Chronicle's David Steele were slamming Schott's comments -- Steele called them "more proof that Schott's ownership is and always has been all about cashing out."

By the end of the week, Schott was a lot more contrite.

"If I offended any of our fans in any way, shape or form, I apologize," Schott told us during an interview from his South Bay office.

Schott said his earlier broadside came out of his frustration over the A's loss in the division series to the Minnesota Twins.

Schott said the team had intended to offer $20 tickets for the "Mount Davis" nosebleed section of the Coliseum -- but that when the third deck didn't sell, the A's decided to keep Mount Davis closed.

"It was something that slipped through the cracks, and if I had a chance to do it over again . . ."

As for the whole flap?

"We are wrong," Schott said of the high ticket costs. "And we have to make sure that doesn't happen again when we get into the playoffs next year."

As for being in the limelight?

"I'm trying to be more up front, but when you're portrayed as someone who doesn't care, that's hard -- because it's just not true. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth."

By the way, Schott says he will be watching the cross-bay rival Giants on TV today -- just not from around here.

"My wife and I will be taking an overnight trip to Las Vegas to clear out our ears and minds."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 01:48 pm:

Interesting. That doesn't seem to do much to help Schott's cause. He apologizes but then makes excuses and seems to re-shift the blame back to the critical fans and media by saying it's all how he is "portrayed."

I wonder what he's REALLY doing in Vegas??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 04:07 pm:

Not only that Kevin. This man's "let them eat cake" attitude is incredible.

His solution is to charge $20 for the Mount Davis seats as if that would have been a bargain...he still doesn't see that the $35 for the pseudo bleachers and third deck were way out of line for the Division Series. He just doesn't get it...

The Mount Davis seats were not meant for baseball, never were and never will be. You can't see the outfielders from up there.

"I'm trying to be more up front, but when you're portrayed as someone who doesn't care, that's hard -- because it's just not true. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth."

Oh how he feels sorry for himself... for a person who says he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth and preaches fiscal responsibility, he should has to stop to think his customers were really very wise not to throw good money away like he wanted them to do...

"My wife and I will be taking an overnight trip to Las Vegas to clear out our ears and minds."

I sure hope he clears his mind enough to sell this team to local buyers. Go back to building houses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:59 pm:

Steve Steve Steve...you again miss the point! Why don't you first of all try sitting out in Mt. Davis in the Coli's baseball configuration so you grasp how horrible those seats are and how ridiculous charging more than what other teams charge for standing room only tickets is ridiculous. $20 for Mt. Davis?!? Give me a freaking break.

If you had charged at the most $15 for upper deck and maybe $10 for bleachers (maybe 12 was the low water market set by the league) you might have sold out the Coli. Then you can think about bilking people for the $$$ for Mt. Davis. But before you talk about Mt. Davis tickets I want to know that you've sat out there for a game.

I don't accept this apology because it did not come directly as a result of his own genuine reflection. When Giambi insinuated he was cheap and wasn't willing to spend the money to make sure his team contended year after year, he and Mr. Invisible issued a formal statement to the fans on the team website. I don't appreciate being told that way that the partners ARE committed to winning because they remained silent and only spoke through their mouthpiece Billy Beane. But in this instance I think it would have been highly appropriate for Schottmann to issue a formal apology that sounds heartfelt and as a result of him looking at what he said, how it was quoted (I saw it quoted in another paper which didn't make him sound so much like an ass) and reading the response of the fans. Allz I know is that he better have his butt up on the dias at Fan Fest next year and he better be kissing the feet of every single season ticket holder that walks through the turnstiles. That's all I know. No more of this puffery from his PR folks, none of these convenient photos of him actually sitting out in the stands. He better press some flesh or at least send his flakkies out to speak to the masses and smooth this over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 12:18 am:

The apology was lame..

They should be PAYING people to sit on MT. Davis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By japanfan on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 05:26 am:

I live in Japan and fly to the Bay Area at least once a year (and sometimes as often as three times) during the season just to watch a series at the Coliseum. The plane ticket alone costs me about $1,000, and I also have to spend heaps of cash on hotels, meals, transportation and game tickets. Oh, and I always drop another $100 or so on A's souvenirs.

Mr. Schott, you have absolutely no concept of what it means to be a "loyal fan."

Apology not accepted.

--Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:42 am:

He probably just lost a couple hundred season ticket holders and lots more fringe fans by his comments and subsequent lame apology.

He's tearing apart this franchise. Next year even with a winning team I wouldn't expect another 2 million in attendance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:47 am:

Kevin, sadly, I think you are absolutely correct.

This man is supposedly an astute businessman. After all, he reminded us of that fact when he was quick to point out he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth. (You'd think he would have more compassion for the families who would like to have attended the playoffs but couldn't because somehow $140 per game is a little tougher to come by than $40.) Anyway, based upon his pisspoor decision of ticket gouging, I still think he has a different agenda and it doesn't include keeping the A's. Let's just hope he sells to a local buyer asap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:02 am:

Bingo dj...

But what worries me about his hidden agenda is the fact that, if he were getting ready to sell the A's to a valid and good intentioned local buyer, he would not be bad-mouthing the place nor the fans of the product he is trying to sell...

What worries me most about Schott's agenda is that he is acting a lot more like the owners of Montreal and the Twins who totally alienated their fan base and then were willing and able to sell off the team to Selig and MLB.

Schott has demonstrated no respect or loyalty to the Oakland A's fans and I just hope his hidden agenda has not been already set in stone with Selig such as Pohlad and the Montreal owers did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:05 am:

"We are wrong," Schott said of the high ticket costs. "And we have to make sure that doesn't happen again when we get into the playoffs next year."

Hopefully, there will be new owners to make those decisions next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:18 am:

From the article:

>>Schott said the team had intended to offer $20 tickets for the "Mount Davis" nosebleed section of the Coliseum -- but that when the third deck didn't sell, the A's decided to keep Mount Davis closed.

Well, if Schott thought the Mount Davis seats for $20 would have been sold, he is showing that even after all the criticism, he still didn't get it.

Like kbailey said, he should go up there and try to watch a game to see if those seats are worth spending any money to watch baseball.

The man is clueless and arrogant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:03 pm:

I got my hopes up when I saw the title of this thread. What a let-down. That guy wouldn't know loyalty if it bit him in the ass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:57 pm:

Eyleenn, his loyalty is the color of green and can stay with him in his bank account.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.