Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Gammons takes a shot at Schott

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Gammons takes a shot at Schott
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:58 pm:

http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/1016/1447053.html

... Oakland owner Steve Schott has given the Red Sox the runaround in their attempt to talk to Billy Beane. Schott would like to sell the club, but he has treated Beane as a commodity, not a human. And everyone knows Schott has no intention of ever getting Miguel Tejada signed, so the A's have gone about as far as they can go. ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:09 pm:

What I don't get is if Schott WANTS to sell the team and there ARE interested buyers out there, then why isn't this transaction getting done?

A new hard-working owner would generate more revenue for the league AND himself, so why not? Like a lot of greedheads, Selig and Schott aren't even good at doing the one thing they worship: Making $$. Nothing wrong with making $$. I just wish we had an owner and commissioner who were actually good at it.

On the "bright" side, it appears that Schott is just as good at pissing off his fellow owners as he is us fans. How hard is it to pick up the phone when Boston calls and just say: "No thanks, Billy stays until 2008. See ya' on the golf course."?

New.

Owners.

Now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:22 pm:

My guess is that Schott is gaining time to see if he is really going to sell...and whether or not Beane would be part of the package...
and depending to who's the interested party, Beane indeed becomes a commodity, considering the compensation Schott would be getting from Boston.

Gammons seems very pissed that HIS Boston BoSox is being jerked around and we all know Schott can't see a nickel he doesn't try to change into a dollar so we just have to wait and see...

The good thing about the situation is that contraction can't come up again anytime soon and Schott will see his franchise lose value if he starts to send the team in the wrong direction.

The time to sell is now Schott. Take your money and get lost!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

Here's the Boston Globe story:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/290/sports/A_message_for_Michael+.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 07:32 pm:

Screw Gammons, Boston, the Yankees. They are so friggin arrogant they think the world ought to turn at their every whim. Every single season this guy ... Gammons ... apparently has a dire need to fill space, because he makes sure he devotes a lot of it to Boston's wanting Beane for GM. Just how many times does an owner have to say, "no, you don't have my permission, our guy is signed through 2008"? Once should suffice. If it were me, I would not respond (again ... as it's become an annual thing), if nothing has changed. So what is the big deal? Schott isn't wrong to ignore these jerks. Geez, Red Sox sound like the proverbial marketing rep. That's why I monitor most phone calls. And I sure as hell wouldn't call a marketing rep back when they are dumb enough to leave a message on my machine. If I were Schott, that is exactly how I'd treat Boston's calls. Screw them. Hey, they've already hired two of the A's minor league batting coaches because they want to be the eastern version of the A's. Well, they've got the $ and the arrogance, why the hell should Schott help them anymore?????

That may be the only positive thing I have to say about Schott at this point. It will only be a matter of (short) time whether we find out he is indeed removing all the wheels from the cart one by one. If indeed, he has no intent to re-sign Tejada, then he needs to pull out of the ownership asap, before continuing to screw whatever fans may be left ... not that he cares. On the other hand, I wouldn't take and run with anything Gammons has to say until it happens. After all, his BA is far below the Mendoza line with re to his "know it all" predictions. He'll write any "rumor" in order fill up his allotted space and keep "earning" money at doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:05 pm:

Peter Gammons is a politician out there campaigning for the Red Sox. "Everyone knows the A's won't sign Tejada" Give me a freaking break. What an arrogant ASS. He doesn't know anything. 80% of his predictions never come true so why should we take this guy seriously?
On the other hand, why can't Schott sell the team? Will Selig not allow local owners? What if the Paninni(sp?) group came along again, would Selig table the offer another time?
There must be potential owners out there that would be a better fit than Schottman.
God I can only imagine how nice it would be if Schottman sold to that group at the time. It would have been a great ownership with marketing genius Andy Dolich, and locals like George Zimmer and Joe Morgan on board. There would have been brains, money and a strong tie with the community-3 things the current ownership lacks.

Come on Schott do the right thing for once!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:48 pm:

You really don't have to take Gammons seriously to question whether Tejada will get signed or not. People around here started doing it the day Giambi left. It also didn't help that Schott came out and said he had no idea how he's going to be able to sign Tejada even under the new deal. Schott started that himself. I'm certainly not going to hold my breath until Tejada inks.

I'm not sure what's going on with Beane, Howe is under contract too and they are practically wrapping him up with a bow for NY. How the hell do you come back and manage out your string here knowing they were willing to let you go and not even ask for compensation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:38 pm:

Regardless what happens, no way do I see Howe coming back. I'm sure before he lays down to sleep at nite, Beane is praying, "Please, let some team take him." The only thing I can figure is they don't want to let go of Macha? But there may be light on this subject come tomorrow. Also, it's the last day before the start of the WS, and Selig says "no revelations" (my paraphrasing) during the WS. Why not? It would should as hell beat hearing whether they are going to pitch to Bonds. I mean I'm soooo tired of hearing Baker et al cry about teams not willing to just throw everything over the plate so he can hit another (steroid induced) HR. I can't wait for this whole friggin WS to be over with ... the whole thing has gone beyond ridiculous and they haven't even started. I guess that's the way it is when your team has an opportunity ... after 47 yrs. ... or another shot at finally bringing home a trophy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By padgett on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 06:07 am:

Does anyone have an ESPN Insider subscription? I'd love to see what their Rumor Central is saying about Howe and Macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 08:02 am:

Doesn't matter; Howe is staying. See Slusser's column. I'm not sure I believe that is how it all went down though.

Gee, maybe Gammons has the real scoop. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 09:21 am:

Here's Slusser's article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2002/10/18/SP4874.DTL

If there is any truth to the rumors that Schotmann will sell the team this offseason,
tt's a good idea to keep a manager with a contract that runs out at the end of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 09:41 am:

I think they decided that Howe isn't going to get the Mets job anyway, but Macha will get a job somewhere, and they don't have any other good options lined up. It's going to be a tough year for Art, being a lame duck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 09:43 am:

Here's the "rumor" blurb from ESPN Insider re Howe:

"Oct. 18 - If not Lou Piniella, how about Art Howe? If the Mets don't hire Piniella as manager, could they get Howe? Fuhgeddaboutit. While the A's did give the Mets permission to talk to their three-time manager of the year, the Mets never followed up, and now Howe and the A's say he's staying in Oakland. That even though Howe and A's GM Billy Beane aren't the best of friends and Howe has been rumored a goner now and then in the past. And, his contract is up after next season, at which time his credentials might warrant a bigger raise than the A's can afford. Also keep in mind that the hot no-name managing candidate this offseason is A's bench coach Ken Macha, whom Beane could plug right in if he's isn't hired away first by the Cubs or Brewers."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 09:50 am:

ESPN Insider is also reporting that Cliff Floyd is #1 on the Yankees wish list. But first, they have to figure out what to do with Mondesi and White.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:17 am:

This Oakland Trib article gives a little more info and insight into how the deal came about.
I just think Macha is a given to move on and Beane didn't want to be stuck without a manager to could work under him for the right price and length of contract.

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E10835%257E933370,00.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:26 am:

Well, Yankees have also already inquired about the "30" yr Cuban defector. No surprise. If they don't get younger in their pitching staff, Floyd isn't going to make anymore difference in getting them to a WS championship than Giambi did. There's upside to Floyd, but the downside is, he too, has spent a considerable amount of time being injured. They may think they have a shot at either Glavine or Maddux, but that won't make their pitching staff any younger, and doesn't address their IF (especially) defensive problems.

Right now, A's fans need to be concerned with what is on the horizon as far as retaining Tejada goes, who will bat leadoff and play centerfield next year. Also, whether they are going to go after a bonafide rh DH, improve their pen and their bench. What the other teams do at this point doesn't matter, unless they resolve their own issues. Not the least of which is also giving a new contract to and resigning Peterson.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.