Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Line of the Month, from Ray Ratto

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Line of the Month, from Ray Ratto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 08:00 am:

"Owner Steve, 'Hey Is That A Quarter In The Sewer?' Schott."

That from his column about Beane having had this planned all along. I think many of us had those suspicions back in ST when he denied Macha the Boston interview.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 09:42 am:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2002/10/25/SP201007.DTL

Then again, Howe was torched by a columnist in this town the day before he took the job in Oakland, and that didn't turn out quite as badly as that author had hoped, either. In short, he has been underestimated before, and at half the salary he will get from New York.

But he was not only underestimated by Beane (and by extension owner Steve "Hey, Is That A Quarter In The Sewer?" Schott), but disparaged repeatedly . . .

even when he was winning. They made it so unbearable that Howe left them to manage the Mets, for God's sake.

Now since it is clear that Beane and Schott think managing is as easy as Peter Magowan thinks it is, which is to say no more difficult than a speed reading of "Green Eggs And Ham," we'd just as soon see them put the monkey suit on and do the job awhile. I mean, if any old dope can do it . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:45 am:

I'm more surprised that people DON'T believe that this whole thing was orchestrated to show Art the door save the A's a few bucks and still let Beane and Schott look like geniuses. They'll get their dope on a rope to sit on the bench and play puppet to Beane, who I predict RIGHT NOW will allow a subtle change in his offensive philosophy to the next manager. Which of course will conveniently appear as the manager's philosophy and serve to further pad Beane's genius status for picking the right guy and make Art look all the more incompetent for not seeing the value of doing X,Y,Z as new A's manager [insert name here] does. All the better if its his bench coach a guy whose advice he presumably was ignoring all these years.

I'm equally shocked that people really believe that Beane is not interested in the Boston job and that Schott is angling for a big windfall before he lets Beane leave. Look at what Beane said after the end of the ALDS. The column or newstory about Beane being dejected that he's not going to have the money for Tejada because the A's dropped out earlier in the postseason than he and Schott bargained for? SPOT ON! That's exactly how the quoted phrasings of Beane on Sunday struck me, the one's that did not blame the 20K fans for not showing up and didn't call fans too spoiled. Look verrrrrrrrry carefully at what he said about being frustrated. Beane is out of here well before 2008 and well before he can opt out under his escape clause. There's a reason DePodesta is still here.

I think Schott would consider Baker, like he was purportedly toying with the idea of luring Bonds to the other side of the Bay. The price tag would scare him off tho. I think that Baker is much more questionable in his postseason decision making than Howe was, he is living in the right harmonic convergence this year however.

And not only is it a trained seal who can manage clubs, I've got to believe that it shocked Beane to read in the annual "Steve Schott is not a heartless, money grubing a*****e" puff piece in a bay area paper that Schott was said to be a great baseball mind himself and that he was the actual spark for a lot of the masterful trades Beane executes. Beane musta fell out his chair because he had always painted it that he has to beg Schott to allow him to take on the salary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:02 pm:

Dusty "living in the right harmonic convergence" seems to me to be the correct assessment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:29 pm:

I notice Ratto wrote this other column for ESPN and it mentions Baker.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/ratto_ray/1450655.html

Thursday, October 24
Updated: October 25, 4:36 AM ET

Another way to keep Baker by the Bay Area

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ray Ratto
Special to ESPN.com

...not entire column:

Would Dusty Baker consider moving across the Bay to manage the A's? He won't discuss his future until after the World Series.
So it is with heavy heart and leaden head that we report that Dusty Baker almost certainly will not be the next manager of the Oakland Athletics.

We'll forego for a moment the fact that there shouldn't be any new manager of the Oakland A's. Art Howe is doubling his salary, quadrupling his public exposure, and will feel eight times the weight every time his lineup card reads "Jeff D'Amico" rather than "Barry Zito."

Fact is, he should never have been allowed to leave by general manager Billy Beane and owner Steve Schott, no matter who the next guy turns out to be.

Reports in both San Francisco and New York say the replacement will be A's bench coach Ken Macha, and the best guess at contract terms so far reads two years and $900,000. But nothing's been finalized yet, and in a semi-perfect world wouldn't be.

Not because Macha isn't worthy of managing a major-league team. But the weirdball scenario is still standing there in front of us all.

Johnnie B. Baker.

While still killing time with this World Series tripe, Baker is not currently interested in discussing the matter. So the Cubs and Brewers and Indians and Mariners and, yes, perhaps even the A's must wait until either the Angels or Giants are crowned champions before they'll have their chance at enticing Baker to manage their team.

Surely, Baker stands to land a lucrative new contract when all is said and done, whether it's from the Cubs, who are looking for a manager and seem willing to pay, or the Giants, who are not looking for a manager and might be smart enough to re-sign him.

But then there is A's owner Steve Schott, who had to birth a litter of kittens to pay Howe the million dollars a year on his current contract -- the one the Mets reportedly just doubled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:38 pm:

Beautiful!

Two years, 900,000??!??! And he's got a longer offer on the table? Did I read another article wrong that said he made 500K this year or did it say that Macha stood to potentially make 500K? Now, can't remember where I read that the A's supposedly would use that "savings" for players. What will 1.1 mil get them? Another Scott Hatteberg type? Or will Beane stock up on righties like he did in his ill-fated lefty spending spree?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:45 pm:

...and does anybody here even have one iota of a doubt about Tejada's fate?

Because it you do, I really would like to sell you a bridge which is now being retrofitted for earthquake and should be ready for sale in April.
It's called the Richmond Bridge and it takes folks from the North Bay to the Coli. I'll sell it with a hometown discount payable in full season tickets and option for playoffs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:18 pm:

Nope Lil, I don't. When Steve "Kitten Maternity Ward" Schott let it be known he had no idea how he could possibly sign Tejada in August, before presumably any preliminary numbers had even been discussed with Tejada's people, I knew right there there was little chance this set of negotiations would go any better. Actually, it started back in spring training when Tejada was wondering why they weren't rushing out to give him a contract extension and Beane gave his swarmy, "he knows where to find me" answer in the press, it was not going to go well.

I'll believe he'll re-sign here when he signs next spring.

Schott and Beane aren't even trying to be transparent any more. And I also believe that BleacherDave hit it on the head this summer when he suggested that all this talk about not being able to afford any position player because they have to sign the triplets is bogus and will be proven so because when those contracts come up they'll find a way to convince people that they could never afford all 3 of them no matter what they did. Even two of them might be iffy. Then you have the Zito "ifs" speech this week so they are starting to sound like they are preparing themselves with contingencies on what it will take for them to want to stick around Oakland.

Didn't we all seem to think this was a watershed moment for this franchise? Isn't playing out rather ominously already? The loss to the Twins, double barrelled assault on the fans, Howe's exodous? "Real" stories of what went on? .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:47 pm:

There is bad stuff goin on. You have coaches praising other organizations for doing things "the right way." The A's are gonna have a hard time retaining talent because the organization is going to be known for being cheap. Kinda like the Clippers a decade ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 04:10 pm:

NEW OWNERS NOW!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.