Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

"Giants can't match A's for being cheap": Lowell Cohn

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: "Giants can't match A's for being cheap": Lowell Cohn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 09:55 am:

His column today, is absolutely right on! Sadly.

Especially: The A's "being the universal donors of baseball". His examples of course, are Mac, Giambi and Tejada soon to be.

"This guy (Schott) is always moving inventory, always looking for the cut-rate. And he's proud of it. If he earned a nickel last season, he's thrilled. At least he didn't lose money. He's lucky he has Billy Beane, so creative within the shackles of the third-lowest payroll in the big leagues -- only the Expos and Devil Rays spend less. And Schott is lucky he has three terrific starting pitchers. Without Beane and the Big Three, the A's would be the Florida Marlins."

http://pressdemocrat.com/column/

Stay tuned folks, the latter statement is about two years away from becoming fact. Sadly.

The irony is, if Schitt had a clue with re to marketing ... it is not that difficult to turn negatives into positives, if you are a little creative ... he could bring the fans in and afford to keep some of those stars in the mix. It's apparent, he is trying to squeeze every nickel he can, before the franchise is squeezed out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 10:06 am:

http://www.pressdemo.com/column/cohn/19cohn_c1.html

here's the actual column link

Lowell is right on...

But what he has left out is that Schott is the perfect example of one that 'wants to have the cake and eat it' too. Thanks to Billy Beane, he wants to sell the team but keeps delaying the sale until he gets a WS.

Because he keeps falling short of getting the WS, he keeps delaying the sale of the team, because after all... a WS champion is worth a few more $$$$

Meanwhile he continues to hold the team hostage, the ballpark issue goes into a tailspin and the end result might be a dismantled future dinasty.

The window of opportunity is closing Mr. Schott.
Sell the team NOW!!!! You have an offer on the table!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 10:07 am:

Who has mad an offer to buy the team?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 10:11 am:

Yes Lil, who has made an offer?????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 10:19 am:

All I know is that there is a group, with ONE BIG LOCAL PERSON, ready and willing to buy the team.
They have been talking with the city and owners for quite some time.

THAT is ALL I know from two or three very reliable sources which I cannot name. I also know this group is also ready to "talk ballpark".

BUT!!! What NOBODY knows whether Bud Selig is willing to allow Oakland to keep the Oakland A's.
We all know Bud Selig killed the last chance for the A's to be sold to a local ownership. Bud Selig may have other plans for the A's and if that is in his agenda, he will not allow a sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 10:34 am:

You're, certainly right, Lil, about Selig as a possible roadblock. However, if there is a window for getting approval, it could be now. I say that because Selig is putting feelers out to municipalities who might be interested in buying and relocating the Expos. Also, they can't contract any teams for x # of years now. So, the time may not be riper for new owners to step in and get approval, than now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:04 am:

That is why I can't really point a finger directly at Schott as being the one refusing to sell now. I was told that he wants another chance at the WS before he sells. However that could just be a delaying tactic following orders from above.

Knowing how MLB works and knowing how NOTHING gets done without the nod from Butthead and Co, I have to say it may very well be orders from Central MLB who are delaying the sale of the team while they sort out the markets and sale of Montreal etc...

We do know Selig has 'nixed' two deals for the A's in the last two years. One was brought to the table by Billy Beane, who would be part of the group. And NO, it had nothing to do with being a group from Vegas, the group was from LA and had nothing to do with gambling etc...

I have to believe Beane's decision to stay on had a connection. What I don't know is if he decided to stay because the team was going to be sold or... was no longer going to be sold. THAT to me is the 64K question!

Selig may be delaying the sale for reasons we don't know and can't even begin to understand. Butthead is a master at making deals and promisses in order to achieve certain goals.

And dj, the timing for the Oakland A's could not be better for a sale. The ballpark issue could still be resolved using some redevelopmemt moneys which is about to be relocated to a gated housing pipe dream of Jerry Brown, and there is still time to save the team before it gets dismantled. If this window of opportunity closes, things will just go downhill very fast.

This is why I feel Schott and/or Selig are holding the Oakland A's hostage to their agenda, whatever it may be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

Lil, who's the potential buyer?? You can reveal that without revealing your sources.

This is VERY interesting, although you are right, Selig may very well nix any deal with the A's.

Schott will go where the money sends him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:12 pm:

Kevin, I have no idea who the local owner is. All I was told is that this group has a deal on the table and is very interested in building a ballpark in Oakland.

My sources only told me about the group who has been in contact with the city and the owners, but no names were given. I guess they are really tight lipped about this and if I couldn't get it out of Mr. DLF (believe me I tried last Tuesday), I have to guess he has been kept out of the talks or he has really learned his lesson and doesn't want to spoil this deal by talking too much too soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:17 pm:

Then if schott wants to sell the team wouldn't the team be more valuable with tejada signed to a long term deal?

The team will be worth far less if it gets closer to F.A. time for the big 3 why not sell now with the new CBA in place??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:36 pm:

Time to call in the anti-trust lawyers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:41 pm:

In case you missed it, Ray Ratto had a very interesting column on the Giants' payroll yesterday. He questions whether Magowan is really losing $$ or simply distributing it to the investors. And then there's that debt service.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/18/SP196238.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:11 pm:

I still think Beane is a possible new partner in the ownership situation. That is the real reason he didnt' go to Boston. It wasn't about his kid, nor about money. It is because he is part of a consortium planning to buy the A's from Schitthead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:25 pm:

If that's true, why the charade? His name was practically on the Sox' dotted line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 10:06 pm:

We were told he was close to signing. But was he? I think Billy would be a great general manager/managing partner. Perhaps he'll be another Connie Mack? wishful thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:06 am:

I think he said he was himself as did the A's organization, they all seemed to think he was gone. If there is a ownership group in the offing and he wanted to be part of it he would have done well to not play the game with the Sox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:20 am:

I think we could go on with endless suppositions here...
I think whatever made him change his mind and made him stay was a positive for Billy. What we don't know is if this positive was linked to the team being sold or even not sold at all.

Who knows if this wasn't a bargaining chip for Billy and he got the response or answer he was looking for before taking his decision.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.