A's Back on the Hit List?
OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's Back on the Hit List?
| By buzz on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 10:26 am:|
"Because of MLB's desire to keep a team in South Florida, the Marlins would not be a strong candidate for contraction in 2003 even if the Minnesota Twins get a new stadium and new owner, a source said. Montreal, Tampa Bay, Kansas City and possibly Oakland would rank ahead of the Marlins as targets for contraction."
| By diamond_lil on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 11:16 am:|
"Baseball also has concerns about legal action from Florida attorney general Bob Butterworth."
MLB has concerns about legal action?
Well, Oakland has a very well informed,very interested and involved in our ballpark project.
Hello Mr. Attorney General John Russo! Are you reading this?
Maybe MLB is betting that the Al Davis experience will make Oakland and the State of California gun shy about litigation. D*mn, Al Davis! A lot of this mess is most directly his fault. Those millions of dollars Oakland has spend fending him off in court would have been a nice addition to an A's ballpark fund.
| By diamond_lil on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 11:45 am:|
Yes, but don't forget that Oakland has also dished out quite a few millions trying to keep the current baseball owners happy. They have not returned the love at all...
| By kbailey3131 on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 12:50 pm:|
Good lord...every day the ridiculousness just keeps getting worse....I read they approved the Marlins sale. Interesting to see them add KC to the list, haven't heard their name mentioned anywhere since Glass joined the Evil Inner Circle but that probably makes him all the more likely to get a Pohland-like payment. The KC Royals have dumped more good players than anybody since the Marlins and maybe even the Expos.
What a crappy way to run a sport.
| By jeffreyb on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 01:00 pm:|
actually, this is interesting...
NEW YORK -- With contraction all but dead for this winter, baseball management told the players' association that Montreal and Minnesota were the only teams under consideration for elimination before Opening Day.
Owners voted on Nov. 6 to eliminate two teams but did not identify them, and contraction has been on hold since Nov. 16, when a Minnesota judge issued an injunction that forces the Twins to honor their 2002 lease at the Metrodome.
Management negotiators Rob Manfred and Paul Beeston told the players' association last week that if owners succeeded in their plan to eliminate teams for this season, the Twins and Expos were the only candidates, two people familiar with the talks said Monday on the condition of anonymity.
so i guess the A's aren't gonna be contracted this year....
| By emkey on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 06:33 pm:|
Nobody will be contacted this year, count on it.
This appeared in the Washington Post this morning. I'm not sure where they get the information (it appears without atribution), but it is interesting and frightening that the A's are on the list and not KC....
"The Minnesota Twins have also been targeted for contraction, and baseball considered three other franchises for contraction: Marlins, Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Oakland Athletics"
article by Mark Asher, "Committee Approves Marlins Sale to Loria", 2/2/02, D3, Wash. Post
| By emkey on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 11:36 pm:|
And what do all three teams named have in common? They play in baseball facilities that MLB doesn't like. It's extortion, plain and simple. And somehow they keep getting away with it.