Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Owner of Fremont site skeptical

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Owner of Fremont site skeptical
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 03:38 pm:

In today's Oakland Tribune:

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1726%257E1109270,00.html

Property owner skeptical on A's ballpark in Fremont

Stadium not best use for 107 acres in Warm Springs, General Motors spokesman says

By Conan Knoll , STAFF WRITER

FREMONT -- Though Fremont has a site that ranks among the best for a new Oakland A's stadium, the property owners do not think much of the idea.

General Motors Corp. owns the 107-acre parcel north of New United Motors Manufacturing Inc. suggested as one of the possible homes for the Oakland A's. The carmaker, however, has doubts about the land's suitability.

"We haven't heard anything (from the team), and we really don't think that is the best use for the property," GM spokesman Gerry Holmes said. "I don't think there is enough room there and the traffic is something else you have to look at. We really don't think there is enough property there for something like that."

Still, GM would talk with the A's about selling land if the team is serious, Holmes said.

The A's are unhappy with the Oakland Coliseum, and Fremont was raised as a possible location when HOK Sport -- which designed Pacific Bell Park -- released a report ranking the best sites for a new A's stadium. The Warm Springs location finished third behind two Oakland sites. The 107-acre Fremont site is bounded by the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and Old Warm Springs, Fremont and South Grimmer boulevards.

Alameda County Supervisor Scott Haggerty said Fremont has a shot at luring the team because its owners wants to capture Silicon Valley's cash and fan base. He pointed out that a respected firm thinks the Warm Springs site will work.

"I disagree (with GM)," Haggerty said. "HOK has done the study. They say it is big enough."

But the team has not explored the Fremont site, preferring to look in Oakland first, A's spokesman Jim Young said.

"I think our ownership was clear that they wanted to look at all opportunities in the city of Oakland before looking at any of the county sites," he said.

Still, when asked if GM's doubts about the site would affect the team's consideration of the Fremont site, Young replied: "No, I don't think so. We're looking at sites in the city of Oakland before looking at county sites. A very reputable stadium authority, HOK, looked at that site and thought otherwise."

The chances for the team to grab the site could be dwindling. GM is looking to sell or develop its surplus land to raise cash.

To that end, GM officials met with the city's planning department in December to explore its options for the site. It is zoned for industrial use, not housing, but the carmaker may look into that option.

"It lends itself to that, better than anything else but, again, we would have to look at it more," Holmes said.

Additionally, a wealthy Silicon Valley investor is reportedly interested in buying half-interest in the A's, which could work against Fremont. The investor is said to favor a site in downtown Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

Do the A's really want to build a stadium anywhere....I mean really? These guys don't seem to let the wind blow up their skirts unless its related to Santa Clara.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 07:00 pm:

Additionally, a wealthy Silicon Valley investor is reportedly interested in buying half-interest in the A's, which could work against Fremont. The investor is said to favor a site in downtown Oakland.

that was the best part of the entire article

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 09:47 pm:

kbailey, love that visual!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:25 am:

This is great news for the city of Oakland and the fans. But would the site still be the "uptown" area? I think of all the site mentioned, including the S.C. site, I think downtown has a better chance than any other. Besides, all the newer parks are building in downtown area, with the exception of Selig's follies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 04:48 am:

Anybody watch the ten o'clock news on Channel 2 Sunday. They interviewed Jerry Brown, on yes, a sports related issue! He said it's great the Raiders are getting Oakland national attention and he said it was great to see the shots cbs had of the area around Lake Merritt and the Oakland hills. Question to Mayor Brown, wouldn't it be nice to get national attention at least 81 times a year with in a new downtown park? Having blimp shots of downtown and the national attention the downtown area can receive when an espn or fox telecast shows the area around the downtown park. But yet he shows no signs of wanting any part of a park in uptown. This is the same guy who said sports doesn't mean much to his idea of what Oakland's main priorty list as of right now. Look at what the Raiders do for the city. Instead of all the negative images the city has received nationally and locally, a good story can come out of Oakland. Instead of a park, Brown wants to build housing in a prime area of downtown. I've driven around the Fox Theatre many times over the past few months and every time I past where homebase would be, the view the park would have would be so great for the fans and media to know there is potential in downtown Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:10 pm:

Now they have that loudmouth from the Guardian Angels in New York coming to Oakland. Brother!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.