Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Territorial Question

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Territorial Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

Why does the A's have territorial rights to two counties in the Bay Area while the Giants have five? Can anybody name those counties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:41 pm:

Well, the official line is that the Giants were here first.

The A's have the right to Alameda and Contra Costa counties. I know the Giants have San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara. I *think* the other two are Santa Cruz and Monterey, although Marin may be one of them. Not 100% sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 10:50 am:

Who "owns" Solano County? I live there, and maybe the Giants can get a league rule that they own the county, and they can force me to take my A's sticker off my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By camperhead on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

I grew up with the phrase "The Nine Bay Area Counties" -- Santa Cruz and Monterey never having been considered part of it. That point aside, if the A's are understood to "own" Alameda and Contra Costa, and the Giants are granted San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Monterey, whither Marin, Napa, Sonoma and Solano?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

whither Marin, Napa, Sonoma and Solano?

The De-Militarized Zone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

They're like Switzerland -- neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

Does that mean if I move to Santa Cruz I gotta become a Giants fan?

That sucks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

No Chris I moved to Santa Clara county last year and I was not forced or even coherced into joining the Dark Side. It's A's-friendly here even though it's like 75% Giants. In Santa Cruz baseball isn't a political issue so you're okay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

The only way to become a Giants fan is to have a Lobotomy(sp)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 09:40 pm:

This quote is from Gary Huckabay's hot stove analysis on espn.com a couple of weeks ago:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove2003/athletics.html

"The A's are owned by Ken Hofmann and Steve Schott, and for the last several years, there have been a myriad of rumors about an "imminent" sale of all or part of the club, usually combined with a rumor of a new home, be it Las Vegas, Santa Clara County, or a new ballpark in downtown Oakland. The situation is complicated, because a change in ownership could trigger an exodus from the A's incredibly talented front office. If there is an ownership transfer, there is a strong possibility of a franchise relocation, largely because of the skewed territorial rights in the Bay Area -- the Giants have rights to five Bay Area counties, the A's only two."

Once again, the A's get screwed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:07 am:

Well, I love Huckabay and love his baseball analysis, but I totally disagree with him on this relocation issue linked to a change in ownership and territorial rights.

Huckabay is clearly implying here that because the A's can't be relocated within the Bay Area, a relocation completely out of the area would happen with a new ownership. That is not necessary nor the case in point.

He also states that a change in ownership would trigger an exodus from the A's front office (meaning of course Billy Beane). Why? Billy Beane was with the organization before this ownership took over...and he was part of a group bidding for the A's which would have kept the A's in Oakland, nixed by Selig.

Why has Selig tabled and nixed any ownership bid who were willing to keep the A's in Oakland? He has repeatedly done so for a reason. He wants to move the A's out of the Bay Area, out of the Giants market.

The problem is not the territorial rights. The relocation issue is a lot more complex than that... how about the economy in San Jose and Santa Clara being actually much worse than Oakland...which is much more diverse in its economic structure...

The problem is that Selig wants to award the Giants the entire Bay Area territory and has never liked the idea of the A's being in Oakland.

Every once and awhile I like to remind people of this tape:

http://www.oaklandfans.com/selig/interview.html

PS: I think people forget that the San Jose area (which is actually closer to the A's than the Giants) was not awarded as Giants territory until 1992, when they as a team were trying to survive in the area. The A's didn't object to awarding them the territory when they were trying to build a ballpark in San Jose. Of course at the time, the A's ownership was flourishing and had no intentions of relocating to that area or any other area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:21 am:

Well, when did this all happen with who gained the territory rights for each county. It must have happened right after the A's moved here which was probably the early 70s. I don't know, maybe it was because the Giants were here first or because Finley was always about thinking about moving the A's out of Oakland for a good part of the 70s so that's why they didn't have rights to more than 2 counties.

It doesn't matter anyway, the Giants will always have more territory and more positive news/spotlight appointed to them because they're the S.F. team and they have the media in their back pocket. The A's will always be the underdog no matter what's happen. They can get a new owner or a new park but it still won't change anything. Sure the A's could gain some fringe fans if they have a new park and owner who's committed to the city but it will never change the balance of power.

A's fans can always say they're getting screwed but we have something they don't have, 4 World Series Championship trophies won while we're here. I don't think the A's would stoop to the sorry level of raising world championship banners won in other cities atop the net like the other team from across the bay did during the playoffs. If not not winning a world title since you've been here for over 50 years isn't sad enough, don't claim fame to another city's success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

The original TV rights are more geared towards preventing another NL team from coming to the area. But in 1992, the Giants were further granted the South Bay as part of their territory for both leagues because they were going to build there.

What really makes territorial rights "sacred" are the TV broadcasting $$$$$$$, further complicated by teams who now own tv cable companies and have their onw interests at stake.

The Giants didn't move to TB because TV wouldn't allow them to leave the then 5th TV market to go to the 13th TV market.

http://www.andelman.com/sfr/sfr-ch26a.html

TV dictates what they want and Selig is just the mouthpiece for MLB big money "partners".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

Thank you for answering my question. Oaktownfan has a point about the championships and being underdogs in our region. Lil also makes a good point with her post about TV rights. I guess some territorial rules don't apply to local TV stations like KTVU from Oakland having rights for Giants game while the A's have ACTION 36 from San Jose (Santa Clara County). Like Robert Buan said about the playoffs, "TV rules" While the A's have a radio station in King City and Salinas (Monterey County) meanwhile the Giants have none.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:12 pm:

The Giants don't need a radio station in King City and Salinas to carry their games because their flagship station KNBR has a strong enough signal which can be heard all the way down in LA.

Meanwhile, the A's flagship stations of the last few years are lucky to have a signal strong enough to carry over the Oakland Hills. Therefore they need affiliates to carry their games in other cities if they want to have their games heard outside the immediate area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:18 pm:

By the way what station are we on this year? 610 still?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 01:06 pm:

As I'm sure Gregorymark is aware, the Kings are entertaining another bid for their flagship station here in Sacramento. If the Kings move up along the dial, the A's can have KHTK all to their lonesome as I'm sure they will be looking for some programming, as long as it does not take away from the lucrative juvenile shows they broadcast between 12-4. If the A's got that station then they can go ahead and move anywhere else their hearts desire in the bay area radio scene.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.