Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Wealthy Investor?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Wealthy Investor?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

what happened to this guy?

on December 27th they said he would make a formal offer in the next few weeks... so?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

so?

we're all waiting...but I didn't want to talk about it because its a downer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 04:59 pm:

hey...

c'mon Lil', I never said that you were a downer... only that a lot of the conversations on this board were downers and I thought it would be nice to look at some positive stuff

I have the utmost respect for you and your opinions :)

after all, we both agree that Rickey is the man

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

chris, I was just being a smartass and pulling you leg :')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

Seriously now Chris,

I know its very frustrating but I think this venture capitalist guy really exists...and in a way, I'm glad there's no name attached because at least people can't say he is just looking for publicity or to get exposure in the media with ulterior motives...

It is my impression that the A's have to wait their turn because there are other teams waiting to be sold and possibly relocate, i.e. Expos... until the Angels and Dodgers change ownership, I doubt the A's will be sold. Its like Selig keeps waiting to see if he can use the A's in his relocation scheme, maybe to a city stupid enough to build a ballpark with public funds. Fat chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:30 pm:

Hey, anyone ever check out this site?
http://www.ballparkwatch.com/news/
Does not contain any hot news regarding the A's, but since a new ballpark is part of this board's mission I think it's interesting to see how related activities were progressing around the country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 01:55 pm:

Fansince69,
Thanks for the link, It had some cool stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 02:30 pm:

I agree, thanks for the link fansince69.

Interesting article from the Press Democrat:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/column/padecky/07padecky_c1.html

especiallly this exchage:

What has happened since last year when Schott spoke of this desire for a new ballpark?

"Nothing," Schott replied.

Is relocation to the San Jose area impossible?

"No, there is still some question about that," Schott said.

Only a few feet away, Giants managing general partner Peter Magowan was asked what he thought of Schott's comments. For the A's to move to the South Bay, the Giants would have to surrender what they consider their territorial rights or have three-quarters of baseball's owners approve the site change.

"He is dreaming," Magowan said.

Selig was reapproached.

"The only thing that's happened about the new A's stadium is conversation," he was told.

"We've got to translate conversation into reality," Selig said.

Well, if Schott had shown any interest and sat at the table with the city officials and civic leaders, things could have gone further than just conversations.

and then this:

"The A's have got to have a new stadium," Selig said.

But how? San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown was a tireless worker in campaigning for Pac Bell Park. Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown has no interest in the A's in particular and in sports in general; his lack of participation and excitement is particularly noteworthy. A stadium can't be built without the community's most important leader behind it.

How soon they forgot that the Giants had been sold to TB and had a moving van stopped outside of the Stick because they were denied 3 times any public funding for a ballpark from both San Jose/Santa Clara and San Francisco.

Of course Willie Brown was behind the the PacBell ballpark, the city had everything to gain and not paying for it since iw was privately funded...DUH!!!!! They talk now like San Francisco paid for PacBell...please!

I'm pretty sure that if tomorrow Schott or any other owner would put up money to build a ballpark, Jerry Brown would also be behind the project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

the A's have to wait their turn because there are other teams waiting to be sold and possibly relocate, i.e. Expos... until the Angels and Dodgers change ownership, I doubt the A's will be sold.

Baseball's clearly a cartel. Criminies...They run MLB like a flippin' public utility! No such thing as "free enterprise" in baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 09:49 pm:

I agree with Lil, there has to be some investor out there willing to buy the A's. Think about it, the A's are right now a buy low team with high rewards in its future when you compare with maybe three fourths of the teams that are worth more. It has the best gm in baseball, a great farm system, and a big league team right now that can still compete for a title even after losing a Giambi, Damon, Izzy and etc. Who knows what the A's couldn've done if those three stayed and we had an owner who had deeper pockets and a willingness to spend money to win a championship even if he loss a profit. The Haas family did that and I don't think they'll regret ever losing money because they won a championship. Schott keeps on saying that he runs this team like a business is a complete joke. I feel that if you want to buy a sports team in this day and age, your main goal is to win at all cost, not make a profit and be competitive. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be owning a team, especially if you own a team like the A's who were favored the past three years. Don't break up a championship team just because you can't afford it and then constantly lie to everybody that you'll do anything to keep star players just to save face. Schott and company are not only cheating themselves, they're cheating the A's organization, players and fans. Sell the freakin' team you cheap bastards!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

Never happen why i say? because like i have said all long the A's make the owners plenty of $$$$$$
wheel barrals full of it , yes sir bob they POCKET most of it andgive little back to the maoney machine barrels and laugh every time a fan buys a ticket.

Schott will never sell untill he plays it all out, and what is that you say? untill he never signs enough of his free agents that it forces attendance to drop to around 1 million then he might sell but untill the fans stop comming out lets say about 1.5 mill and he can keep his payroll around 40-50 mill he is making $$$$ hand over fist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:37 pm:

sory what i am saying is, if you want to see new owners you need to do the opposite of the oafc,
we need to stop supporting the A's stop attending games period.

why? because thew owners are making way to much $$$ the only way schott sells the team is if he starts to really lose $$$ or break even so stop going to games if you want to see ownership changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:47 pm:

another thought:

tonight on NBC reports they had "fleecing of America" and how big time sports has forced cities to build stadiums at big pitches of how much $$$ it will give the cummunity in revenue, instead most cities lose big $$$ having to pay for stadium costs over runs not enough tickets sold to cover the finance payments,they listed Cinci as an example with the bengals could of listed OaKland with the Raiders .

The theme was does it payoff to finance big staduims for a private ownership business? NO i think the time has past for the A's to get a stadium at this stage the owners will not finance 70% of the stadium neither will the city closed deal, all the promises of needing a new stadium for teams to make $$$ will turn out not true for most cites look at miwaukee and detroit teams will lose$$ anyway and cities left with some of the costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:19 pm:

I firmly believe that a city should not give money to a sports team. If they want to help them obtain land or build new public transportation, that's great. But no money.

I didn't used to think this way, but I do now.

Other than that, I'm gonna go check out the A's no matter who owns the team.

I love baseball, win or lose, and I'm not going to deprive myself of that because of some stupid owner. And all owners are stupid anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:36 am:

I believe Schott is banking on the A's winning it all this year, then he will sell the team because it will not get more valuable than it is as a WS champion. He bought low, and he will sell high. Even if they don't win it all I think Schott will get out and just get as much as he can from Selig or whoever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:39 am:

I don't know who was the writer from the Baseball Prospectus that said Billy Beane is both our blessing and our downfall...as long as the team keeps winning with this type of payroll, the more money the team brings to Schott now and later when he sells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:55 am:

what happened to the thread regarding the new rumor of the Tribune trying to buy the A's and getting turned away?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

Kevin, I moved the thread over to off field matters.

Btw, I sent an email to one of my inside sources and he thinks that the reference that article is making pertains to the 1999 group which included the Oakland Tribune as we all know. He didn't think it is something recent or connected with the venture capitalist we heard about recently.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.