Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Vintage Billy Beane

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Vintage Billy Beane
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:14 am:

Beane is showing he is just not headstrong but needs to send a strong message... he decides who is important to this team and not what the majority of the media and fans think.

Take that Rickey and fans!

Justice is on board: The A's have made arrangements for former outfielder David Justice to join the organization in a special-assignment-type role. Beane said that Justice, who retired this winter, will be in uniform and working with the team on Feb. 27, and may do some work alongside another former A's player who is a special assistant to the GM, ex-pitcher Matt Keough.

"David's also got some opportunities to do some announcing with ESPN, so we're going to sit down and define what he'll do to help our organization," Beane said. "A lot of it will be based on what David wants to do. He's got a lot to offer, and just his presence is so important."

Justice was widely acknowledged as the team leader last year, and the A's have few veterans. Hatteberg, 33, is the oldest player, and Dye, with six years and 84 days, has the most service time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:24 am:

Well, that is not surprising, as it was noted a couple weeks ago that his hiring was likely. To sign Rickey would be an entirely different proposition, even if he did become a coach. Alas, Justice or not, we all know it is not likely to happen.

By the way, did anyone else find nothing but a blank page when trying to pull up the ST Schedule and/or the 40 man roster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:30 am:

sorry, I forgot to link the source to the A's artcile:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/02/16/SP142158.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:35 am:

Yeh, and I forgot to indicate ST Schedule/40 man roster blank pages I referred to, were on the Gate, as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:36 am:

It was also nice to finally read that Ramon made it to AZ earlier this week without any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

>he decides who is important to this team and not what the majority of the media and fans think.

- and you would prefer to let columnists and fans decide who plays/coaches?? that happens once a year..it's called the All Star game.

aside from all of justice's playoff experience (ie, more than anyone in history), he is clearly more articulate and accustomed to mentoring than rickey. rickey is/was a great ballplayer, but i wouldn't count on him becoming much of a coach. just a hunch..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 05:34 pm:

No Milo, I didn't say fans and media should decide anything...

I was making reference to the message Beane has sent in response to an overwhelming opinion among fans, other players and baseball writers. Right along the lines of what Beane said in response to a fan, "winning puts butts on the seats and not nostalgia".

That is all Beane thinks Rickey is to baseball?
nostalgia? please...
We're talking here of one the greatest players of the last 100 years and to undermine and discard him in such a way is absolutely amazing...

aside from all of justice's playoff experience (ie, more than anyone in history)

true, in number of appearances, yes but not in quality of performance... Justice is your typical example of...'if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere'...he indeed came up big for NY in one of those, but his dropped ball in RF may have cost the Yanks another...

and I'd take Rickey's past performances in post season over Justice anytime...quality over quantity. The man is a winner and one of the most clutch players in baseball history.

Justice had 6 WS appearances
BA.194/OB.333/SLG.387

Rickey had 3 WS appearances
BA.339/OB.439/SLG.607

and as far as being articulate...again, Justice may be more articulate, but every young player that have had the opportunity to play with Rickey has said they have learned more with him in one day than a whole month at ST...and I include players like T Long and Cedeno. I think Rickey would make a great coach, even if he can't talk fancy enough for some people's taste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

Do you REALLY think Beane hiring Justice as a part time coach is Beane telling Rickey fans to stick it?

Oh and vintage Billy Beane is putting together great teams with a low payroll.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:39 pm:

yes and yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:42 pm:

what does speaking articulately have to do with mentoring?

I don't really care how well Rickey speaks and I can't imagine any young players would either... he's not teaching English... it's baseball

(deleted stuff by moderator)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:53 pm:

>and I include players like T Long and Cedeno.

- ya, i guess ricky really is some kinda coach then..

>what does speaking articulately have to do with mentoring?

might this help..?

ar·tic·u·late
(är-tky-lt)
adj.

Endowed with the power of speech.
Composed of distinct, meaningful syllables or words, as human speech.
Expressing oneself easily in clear and effective language: an articulate speaker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:32 am:

(deleted by moderator)

I thought we agreed to keep politics out of this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:53 am:

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

(deleted by moderator)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 09:25 am:

please folks, let's keep this cyber space to baseball...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 01:24 pm:

This is another example of why I like Al Davis and why I love the Raiders. Can you imagine him turning his back on a Raiders player who was to football and the Raiders what Rickey Henderson was to baseball and the A's? No way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

Can you imagine him turning his back on Raider fans and the city of Oakland? Oh wait he already did that once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 03:52 pm:

Yes and this clinging to the past has hurt the Raiders many times and in many ways.

If Haas were still alive, I'm sure none of this would be happening to the A's so let's not make this thing into an A's vs. Raiders debate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jace on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 01:26 pm:

Therer's nothing to debate. It's a simple fact: the legacy of the Raiders is extremely important to Davis. As a fan, I really enjoy that continuity, knowing the best players are going to be around for awhile and the great players will be around forever (except Marcus). The A's owners could give a rat's ass about the rich tradition of the A's, and that's just sad.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.