Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

In Defense of Oakland as a baseball market

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: In Defense of Oakland as a baseball market
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

Rob Neyer on ESPN.COM stuck up for Oakland as a baseball market again. Some of his readers questioned his assertion in a prior column that Oakland and Chicago (SOX) supported their teams just fine. His point was that you can't hold everyone up to the same standard. Not everyone will draw 3 million fans every year and win the series, if the team makes money and is competitive every now and then that sould be good enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

Cool. I just became a big Rob Neyer fan. I was on the fence before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kenarneson on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 04:26 pm:

I found this odd, because in the past, Neyer has said that he thinks Oakland can support a baseball team OR a football team, but not both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

Ken, you're absolutely correct. Rob Neyer has changed his opinion about Oakland as a baseball city. One thing about Rob Neyer is that he really likes to communicate with fans and he reads data and information.

It just goes to show it pays to educate the media by sending correct information which dispels a lot of misconceptions and wrong perceptions.

I'm sure many are surprised to see that the A's, prior to PacBell, had outdrawn the Giants in attendance 10 of 17 seasons.

I remember when Peter Ueberroth was interviewed by Ralph Barbieri a couple of years ago...he asked him what he thought of the relocation of the Oakland A's, alleging they were a struggling franchise. Ueberroth reminded him how successful the A's were when they had a good ownership. An ownership who marketed the team properly and was fan sensitive and proud of their success. An ownership who cared for the fans and the city hosting their franchise.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.