Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Oakland Tribune picks Pac Bell #1 Sports Event

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Oakland Tribune picks Pac Bell #1 Sports Event
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cheese on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:30 am:

Does it bother anybody else that the local paper chose going to Pac Bell park is the #1 sports event out of 50.

It already had picked: Dodgers vs Giants game as #13.

and taking the ferry boat to Pac Bell park as #26.

and going to a AAA San Jose Giants game as #24.

The only mention of the A's, is going to a weekday game as #21.

Why are East Bay media people so ashamed of this team? I mean Yankees vs. A's game could have been mentioned.

Who voted for this Tribune countdown? The readers or the Tribune staff ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:06 am:

It is called bad journalism.

That's the problem cheese. The bulk of the writers are ess eff giants fans. And they write and vote as fans and not as reporters and unbiased journalists as it should be if they had any integrity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:07 am:

The Oakland Tribune has become a friggin joke. Not the same paper I grew up with. Pretty pathetic when they continually give better coverage to West Bay teams over their own. Most of their writers suck too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cheese on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:25 am:

Lil, do you still have that Contra Costa Times article I let you borrow that polled East Bay residents asking them what sports events they had seen in a year.

It showed going to an A's game as #1. I would like to mail a copy of this to Mr. Steward and Mr. Moore at the Tribune.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:30 am:

I probably have it somewhere cheese. But I do remember when you gave it to me and you are right about that. I know I didn't throw it away and I have to do some filing of articles and columns such as those which I gathered along the course of time. If I find it I'll give it back to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:38 am:

We've written countless letters to the Trib, complaining about the A's coverage. If we wanted to read about the Giants, we'd order the Chron. This makes me sick.Aren't there ANY true fans of the A's writing for a paper?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

The sad part is, the Chronicle gives better coverage to the A's. Carl Steward this a.m., has written a marvelous column on Tejada and his contract. I sent him email complimenting him, but also took advantage of the opportunity to let him know that I'd like to see more A's coverage, being very disappointed in their coverage of the A's and the fact I often feel I'm reading the Chronicle. Anyway, for what it's worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:17 pm:

dorrit, peep the CC times. it's pretty much 50-50 Gnats-A's but relative to other papers that's as good as it's gonna get. Trib's been whack as crack every since they were acquired by ANG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:15 pm:

World War III could be started but if Bonds hits a HR the Mercury will have him on the front page!

I think the Chron is much less biased than most of the other bay area papers, although of course it still has the SF slant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:47 am:

no politics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:06 am:

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By marinermark on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 06:27 pm:

Classic! You guys complain and whine about getting your lack of press coverage! From what I read, I think that most people must agree that going to a Giants game at Pac Bell is the number 1 attraction in the Bay Area and going to an A's game ranks much further down the list. You need only look at relative attendance figures to see that the Oakland Tribune is correct. But leave it to you A's fans to assume that everyone is out to get you, you don't get a fair shake, etc. etc. Let's face it folks, only a handful of people like you care a lick about the pitiful travails of your franchise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

World Series Titles:
Oakland 4
Seattle 0

What else is there to talk about?

Besides Griffey, A-Rod, R. Johnson and Piniella all leaving? Edgar's 85-year-old hamstrings? Mike Cameron's nearly 200 strikeouts last year? Or just another September/October choke-job by Seattle?

Oh yeah, just for good measure:

2002 AL West Champions: Oakland A's

But cheer up. You still have a guy named Melvin running your team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 07:35 pm:

A hand full of us you bet...very pitiful travails indeed...

but only you seem to be obsessed about the A's to the point of coming to visit us here so often...

get over it kid...I know its friday night and there's not much for you to do there in Seattle but drink coffee at starbucks but why don't you try to amuse yourselfwith your friends....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 09:11 pm:

Seattle must be awfully boring...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 03:09 am:

If we're so pathetic and pitiful, what the hell does that make the guy that hangs around and bothers us all day?

Kid, you need some hobbies...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:19 pm:

Mark has to use a stool to reach his daddy's computer keyboard.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.