Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Oakland Tribune-Schott cares nothing for Oakland- Jen Medeiros

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Oakland Tribune-Schott cares nothing for Oakland- Jen Medeiros
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:04 pm:

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~1751~1268265,00.html

Article Last Updated: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 3:40:43 AM PST

Jennifer MEDEIROS
Schott cares nothing for Oakland

ON March 15, Steve Schott broke the hearts of Oakland Athletics fans. Rather than pursuing a contract for MVP Miguel Tejada, Schott terminated attempts to sign him. A's fans know they will lose yet another MVP, just as we lost Jason Giambi before him.

This one hurts more than Giambi's departure, though. Not only is Tejada a player with excellent defense and offense, this man truly cares about Oakland. Tejada recently said: "I love Oakland. It's a great city -- it's like a family."

Such sentiment is something to which A's fans are unaccustomed, having endured the stewardship of Schott for seven years. After purchasing the team from the Haas family with promises to remain in Oakland, Schott has spent the ensuing years doing everything conceivable to alienate fans, most notably exploring a move to Santa Clara.

In March 2001, Schott said the A's "have no future in Oakland," while lobbying the Santa Clara City Council to relocate the team. Talks stalled when Schott was rumored to be selling the A's (a rumor he denied that was later substantiated -- a pattern with Schott.)

Fear of losing the A's to relocation or contraction prompted the JPA of Alameda County and the Oakland City Council to explore a new stadium for the A's. Renowned architects HOK Sport were hired to analyze possible sites.

The uptown site was identified as the best location, and preliminary designs were developed. A fact-finding tour of new MLB stadiums was conducted. People were excited about the possibilities.

But there was one big problem: Steve Schott showed no interest.

Neither Schott nor any representative of the A's attended any JPA or City Council meetings concerning the ballpark.

One question came up over and over again. "Why should we expend money and energy if the owners show no interest?" With deafening silence as a response, the City Council voted for the Forest City development uptown, and the dream of a ballpark died -- for now.

Did I mention that Schott attended Santa Clara City Council meetings regarding relocation?

Which brings us back to the latest dagger in the heart of fans. Let's face it -- many of us were bracing ourselves for the loss of Tejada. We have become accustomed to the ways of Schott, and knew it was unlikely he would invest the money to keep Tejada.

But nobody expected he would announce his intention so soon. This tells me one of two things: (1) Schott purposely wants to sabotage attendance to substantiate his case for relocation; or (2) he has no idea how negatively this would be perceived by fans.

Either alternative means only one thing: Steve Schott does not deserve to be the steward of this great and glorious franchise. He has hurt the team immeasurably by his constant threats of moving and bungling of public relations.

He has no conception how his words and actions have affected the fans.

It is time for Schott to sell the A's to someone committed to keeping this team in Oakland.

A's fans deserve an owner who appreciates them and understands that it is the owner's responsibility to strengthen community ties to the team -- not attempt to sever them at every turn.

New owners now.

Jennifer Medeiros is a board member of the Oakland A's Fan Coalition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:10 pm:

was this in the paper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:59 pm:

Yes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 11:12 pm:

nice! frankly, I think the media is our only hope. they need to crucify schitt. I hate to say it, but I couldn't imagine KNBR sitting on their laurels if the GNATs had mngmt like ours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:38 am:

Yeh, guess you're right, markmar. People would rather go broke living in SF, while tripping over all the homeless who are infringing on citizen's property and defacating all over. All that for a view of GG Bridge. Not to mention their own high crime problems with a mayor and police dept. actually more inept than Oakland's.

Too bad the ignorant don't take time to tour ALL parts of the city. There are some absolutely beautiful areas. And here's a flash for you ... Oakland doesn't even make the top ten, nationally with re to crime. But then the ignorant tend to not do their homework, anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:45 am:

dj, don't bother answering to this individual...best be ignored until deleted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:26 am:

Three cheers Jen! I'm almost surprised the Trib printed it ... given their pisspoor support of the A's and telling it like it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:59 am:

Good job Jen!
And DJ I couldn't agree with you more, as a former resident of SF.

I must have missed something or someone's comment got deleted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:07 am:

kevin, you didn't miss anything other than a post from that "mariner fan" who never talks about baseball but just makes silly childish remarks about Oakland. I decided to just delete his posts because all this individual wants is to bait people in order to derail the discussion threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:28 am:

Good idea, lil. Course, likely the idiot will change his/her screen name, but won't get away with it for long, I'm sure. Really makes me wonder if some of these kids aren't too young and ignorant to have access to a computer. Course, could also be sitting in a prison cell somewhere with too much time on his hands. Oh yeh, and the chances are great that the party has never even been to SF, Oakland or Seattle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 01:37 pm:

dj, stop giving him ideas jk :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

anybody know what the rules are at the Net re signs in the outfield?

it would be nice to organize a grass-roots effort to show up Schott in his own stands.

signs like: "SELL THE A'S TO SOMEONE WHO CARES, SCHOTT" at every game could bring more attention to this issue, and shame him for the dog that he is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:55 pm:

milo, we've discussed that and probably will have to try some signs on paper and cardboards first and see what kind of action and reaction we'll get from the security guards...

considering that they refused to EVER show the
KEEP THE A'S IN OAKLAND sign on TV or on Diamond Bision, I strongly suspect they may not allow any mention to ownership...but we have to take the wait and see attitude.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:17 pm:

I'll have the CHEAP SCHOTT sign out.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:59 pm:

Oh hell yeah BD!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:35 am:

Well if the signs are in the bleachers and big enough, they can't help but show them on TV and diamonvision if there is a home run in the area of the sign.
Can't wait for 2003 A's baseball!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 10:59 am:

even if diamond vision doesn't show the signs I bet ESPN will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:06 am:

I agree, ESPN will show them. I love the "Cheap Schott". Hopefully, we'll see lots of those, along with "New Owners Now."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

I think signs in the outfield that I see at the Net are cheezy looking. You don't see them in most ballparks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 01:51 pm:

The OAFC "Keep the A's In Oakland" sign, with our URL, is a professionally made vinyl sign. It was displayed above the out of town scorboard in RF for many of the games during the 2001 and 2002 seasons (thanks Linusalf!). I was told by a Diamondvision cameraman that they were instructed to not show the OAFC sign, and for the most part they did a good job of not showing it.

BTW, Lil and I will be sitting in the Diamond Level (ground level behind the plate) seats next Wednesday, and I will be wearing my "got miggy? sweatshirt. Hopefully they won't have any choice but to show that on TV.

NEW OWNERS NOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

Signs in the OF are an A's tradition, cheezy or not.

We had a large "Keep the A's in Oakland" banner up for most of the 2001 season and it was virtually never shown on tv. Also, we had a flying banner at one of the games and ESPN never showed it.

Media are apparently not interested in grass-roots fan movements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

Has IT returned under another i.d? Fans in other parks aren't as clever or as intelligent as the fans here. Many of the signs seen in other parks are stupid. Makes cheese look good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

ESPN showing them or not is a non-issue because ESPN won't be carrying any games opening night, they will show a game during the day, as the NCAA Women's Tournament will still be going on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 02:01 pm:

So just because they're a "tradition" it's ok to do cheezy things? Can't believe your line of reasoning. I stand by what I say - the signs look cheezy and reflect an unprofessional atmosphere. I guess the drummer boys are becoming a tradition too, but quite frankly, I'm kind of embarassed for them. It's like some high school atmosphere with them banging their drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

I forgot about the flying banner Eyleen. We spoke with both Ray Fosse and Joe Morgan (it was an ESPN game) and both said that they would mention it, but neither did. I'm sure that a "gag order" is in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 02:10 pm:

C'mon, you can't really expect that the broadcast company is going to do anything that would be potentially emberassing to the A's or MLB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

Hey look everyone its Bruce Jenkins!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

the signs look cheezy and reflect an unprofessional atmosphere. I guess the drummer boys are becoming a tradition too, but quite frankly, I'm kind of embarassed for them. It's like some high school atmosphere with them banging their drums.

I much rather see signs from fans trying to express their opinions than stare at a hideous coke bottle or huge beer billboards commercials in various ballparks. Fans are not professionals and should express themselves by cheering, booing with signs and or drums as long as it's spontaneous.

To me, what was really cheesy were those ridiculous thunder sticks.

And the drummers WERE high school kids. I really don't see what there is to feel ashamed of for having high school kids who are dedicated to their team.

Besides, Steinbrenner hates the drummers, so for that reason alone I love them.

bleacherdave,

C'mon, you can't really expect that the broadcast company is going to do anything that would be potentially embarrassing to the A's or MLB.

What's embarrassing about the phrase "keep the A's in Oakland".

When the Giants were about to leave ess eff...their radio station blasted day and night campaigning to keep the team...and Lurie was still the owner of the Giants when he sold it to TB...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 03:21 pm:

Do you think Stevie & Buddie, do, or do not, approve of the phrase "keep the A's in Oakland?" Since the A's barred the sign from DiamondVision, I think that's a pretty strong indication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

"Fans are not professionals and should express themselves by cheering, booing with signs and or drums as long as it's spontaneous. "

Thanks for your definition of what a fan is. Obviously I must have been uniformed all these years. Incessant drum-beating are not all that spontaneous in my book, so I guess you might have to check your baseball dictionary on that one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

nickb, I guess you don't like the drummers and I don't think having signs is cheesy...why don't we just agree to disagree instead of having a pissing match about it. No need for dictionaries or even going any further with this argument.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 06:30 pm:

Nick, the drummers are great, they pump our guys up and annoy the visiting teams.
The signs are fun, why do you want to take that away? I don't think it's cheesey, it adds some character to the team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

I do respect your opinion about the drummers and the signs, but I do in fact have my own opinion. The drummers not only annoy the visiting teams, they also annoy me. I'd much rather have the traditional sounds of baseball going on in the background - like a little organ music, some "spontaneous" rythmic applause, etc. And I stand by my comments about the signs - pure cheese.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 06:50 pm:

The A's are giving away Thunderstix this year.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 08:00 pm:

Nickb, I respect your opinion. But, I love the drummers. They came at just the right time, when the A's started what would become their first playoff appearance in years during the 2000 season.

The drummers remind me of soccer fans overseas, who sing and play drums during the course of the action. Yes, I know it's a different sport, but we're the only baseball city that has them. It gives it a uniquely Oakland flavor.

Just like Charlie O. the Donkey, the orange baseballs, the loud green and gold uniforms, the big hair and mustaches, the clubhouse brawls, the 16 year old team vice president that eventually became a best selling rap artist, Billy Ball, LaRussa's computer, Rickey's snatch and catch signature play in the OF, Hendu goofing with fans in CF during the game, right down to today, where we have a Cy Young winner with dyed hair who surfs, meditates and speaks in near-Zen koans, the drummers fit right in with the Oakland A's colorful and, at times, just plain weird history.

My two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 11:13 am:

Chris, good way to put it.
Other unique parts of A's history and the Coliseum that can be added to that list are Roy Steele's booming God-like voice on the PA, the original wave (although I hate it now, it was started in Oakland at a 1981 playoff game vs. NY), Crazy George, playing "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang after every victory for about 20 years, wearing white shoes when everyone else has black, and of course, SuperFan, the banjo guy.

So let the drummers drum and the signs fill the bleachers.
The A's and their fans will always "walk to the beat of their own drummer" no pun.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 11:57 am:

I recall Mabry in post game interview last year saying how he loved the football like atmosphere here with the drummers and fans. The players love the signs too. Hey, Oakland is a blue collar town. What they do fits beautifully. As opposed to the dings sitting behind homeplate at PBP (guess that's SBC, now?) with a cellphone in the ear waiving to the cameras and trying to stuff another piece of brie into their mouths and a wineglass in the other hand, probably having a clue less as to what is going on in a baseball game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

When the drummers arrive at the bleachers, the people cheer!It's great to sing along with them! And, I enjoy the signs-it's part of team spirit. But, the left field bleachers need some new ones-they look pretty ragged..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:33 pm:

Well, one thing's for certain ... the drummers beat Crazy George all to hell. Not to mention the ridiculous marguis telling fans when to cheer. Please. That's pathetic. Personally, I think the drummers are great. In fact, doubly great, because they really seem to get under the skin of some opponents ... Yankees, Giants, to name two. I guess those teams think "De-ohhhhh" is clever? Dumb, dumb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

Ditto deajay, regarding the drummers they're great. But please no more thundersticks let them go where ever Crazy George went.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 03:25 pm:

What ever came of the dude in the Sillycon valley that wanted to buy the team, LOVED OAKLAND, and wanted to build the team a baseball friendly stadium?

Ohwell. I am just happy baseball season is about to start again.

See most of ya there on opening night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 09:37 pm:

You want to talk cheesy, take a look at every G home game and that old couple in the background holding those "pitch to barry" signs. It's one thing if it's a special occassion like with Tejada 4 mvp or Giambi 4 mvp but they do it all the time.

I'm not the biggest fan of the drummers but they create an atmosphere that makes it fun to go to an A's game. Although I usually can't hear them since I wear my earphones listening to King and Korach while watching the game. I guess this is the last year for the Tejada chant unless a miracle happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 12:12 am:

Oakland hasn't been a blue collar town in a while.....maybe about 20 years now....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 09:34 am:

Huh, Dave? Gotta disagree with you there. Granted, there are some very up-scale areas of Oakland, but as someone who has lived here for years I've got to tell you that this town is still very blue collar in its soul. From Fruitvale to North Oakland to Temescal most people in Oakland are very blue collar. I really believe that's one reason for the playoff fiasco last year. The people in Oakland couldn't take off work at a moment's notice! And even in regards to the Sunday playoff game, I think folks thought "oh, they'll make it to the next round - I better save my money for that." People I spoke with told me as much.

Just my observations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 10:35 pm:

The city of my birth may be very blue collar in its soul, but is sure ain't blue collar in its pocket. There's no manufacturing left in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 10:54 am:

Yeh, "thundersticks" = cheesey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 11:15 am:

Hey I'm from Oakland and I'm wearing a blue collar right now.

Of course I have a necktie on with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:59 pm:

Perfect metaphor for Oakland today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

Indeed, Eyleen. Indeed, it is.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.