Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Season Ticket Stats

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Season Ticket Stats
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By grundler on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 10:09 am:

Does anyone have any stats on season tickets? How many are sold and how many of each type? Just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:38 am:

I don't know the breakdown of the different packages offered. I would be willing to guess they have about 2K full s.t. holders and the rest are combined packages.

But I do know that when the team was sold in 1995 they had a combined full season tickets of about 15K (meaning if you totalled all the different packages, it would represent 15K full season seats sold).

By 1996 they were down to combined 5K and the last I heard they were close to 9K last year. I have no idea of how many they have now but I would guess it stayed the same or went down to closer to 8K.

They never recovered all the fans they lost after this ownership took over the team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By grundler on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 03:52 pm:

Lil, thanks for the info. I would be interested if people would post row and section (but not seat number to remain anonymous) and number of years they have had season tickets to get a general feel of turnover of season tickets. In other words, how long does it take to have the best seats in an area. Also, this exercise would be interesting to reveal the preferences of ticket holders. For instance, if ticket holders for the same length of time were closer on the first base side than the third base side, that might reveal a preference for the third base side. I have always been a statistics nut... My motivation is basically a) do we have a consistent season ticket fan base, or do people leave after a few years and new people buy season tickets. (I am especially curious after the past few playoff years). And the more selfish b) how long till I get to a certain point if I move up a little each year.

Section 123 - Row 7 - 2 years with season tickets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:19 pm:

Section 119, Row 21. 22 years with some season ticket plan. 7 years with full-season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

Besides the change in ownership, what caused the ST base to fall by approximately 10,000 in the winter of '95 - '96? Granted, there was a change in players and manager, but that alone wouldn't cause 2/3 of the fans to not renew. Did that many people buy ST out of loyalty to the Haas family alone? Did the fans realize '95 would be hte last shot at the playoffs for a few years and collectively "give up" on the team?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

Besides the change in ownership, what caused the ST base to fall by approximately 10,000 in the winter of '95 - '96? Granted, there was a change in players and manager, but that alone wouldn't cause 2/3 of the fans to not renew. Did that many people buy ST out of loyalty to the Haas family alone? Did the fans realize '95 would be the last shot at the playoffs for a few years and collectively "give up" on the team?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

2K full season ticket holders??? I'd be willing to bet that's the lowest in all of MLB (with the possible exception of Montreal and Tampa Bay). Whew that's pathetic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 08:14 pm:

Did the whole decrease come in 1995? Maybe some of it happened after McGwire left.

I just bought a partial season (20 games) for the first time. I asked for Section 119 in the shade and that's exactly what I got.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:32 pm:

The 94 strike and shortened 95 (144 games) season really depressed the attendance along with rumors of the team possibly moving and being sold...

The change of ownership and rebiulding with a
pitching staff in 96 which was practically made up of minor leaguers:

Wengert
Doug Johns
Prieto
Wasdin
Willie Adams
Chouinard
Wojeichoski

need I say more?

Then in 97 Mark left in July and they lost 97 games with another terrible pitching staff...

Things only started to get a bit better in 98 but the team was again for sale and then the huge let down when MLB tabled the sale to the local group.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:34 pm:

I've had season tickets since 1980 and full season tickets since 1984.
Section 119 - Row 21 - Jer's neighbor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:36 pm:

2 years and a bunch of 20 game plans in several different locations and price points. No plan this year - yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:45 pm:

nickb,

You want pathetic? The Brewers with their new ballpark just announced they now have less than 8K season tickets and they didn't specify whether those were full season or combined packages.

I'm betting the A's this year are better in season ticket sales than the Brewers...hehehehe...THAT'S pathetic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:49 pm:

Lil, what memories you bring back with that pitching lineup from '96. The "W" boys, the Little Mermaid. It's amazing that *anyone* came out to watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:35 pm:

Did the fans realize '95 would be hte last shot at the playoffs for a few years and collectively "give up" on the team?

How about the fact that 1995 was the year the WS was cancelled?

THAT along with all the negatives going on with the A's was a huge factor in the depression of the attendance in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:48 pm:

It was 1994 that the World Series was cancelled, hence the lack of season ticket buyers in 95.

I think Ernie Young and Alan Battle were starters on that "great" 1996 A's team with the 3 W's. McGwire and "The Chief" Gernonimo Berroa were the bright spots that year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:44 pm:

Actually the '96 team wasn't THAT bad (78-84), in fact its because they weren't so horrible that they brought in Canseco the next year and people acutally that though they might be decent going into '97 (that changed quick). I can still remember Canseco bunting for the last out of the opener in '97 which was just bizarre. The '96 team I found pretty entertaining as did they hit 243 homeruns that year with Brosius coming out of no where at the point to have a huge year, Steinbach hitting 35 homeruns (still can't figure that out), and McGwire having what was his best year ever with the A's (.312, 52 homeruns) and I think arguably his best year of his career. Screw this...THE '96 TEAM ROCKED! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 08:32 am:

yc, the 96 team may not have been horrible to you because of McGwire and other players you may have liked to watch, all the bombs they might have hit etc...but the runs scored vs the runs allowed really tells the story of how the pitching is what really counts.

1996 - scored 861 runs - allowed 900
1997 - scored 764 runs - allowed 946

now compare those numbers with the last two years

2001 - scored 884 - allowed 645
2002 - scored 800 - allowed 654

homeruns are great to watch but the pitching is what wins the games in the long run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:29 am:

Lil is right it is pitching that counts, even though i hate these owners and the Tejadah situation tink about it Miggy batted .150 for april most of mayand the 's had one o thebest records in baseball why ? the pitching so even if we lose Tejadah and get some guy like crosby who can hit .280 we will be ok.

Its the pitchers we've got to sign and keep they are the reason for all the sucsess we keep the big 3 and have a Harden and weaver we will stay competitive for a long time, personally i think this brand of A's baseball is boring but it is proving to be a winner, we are ike the 1960's dodgers 1-0 3-2 4-3 games but i guess beane's philosphy works, so this years sucsess has shown the owners we really do not need to keep our shortstop as long as we have the big 3.

But can this style of baseball win in postseason with mediocre offense? hasn't so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:30 am:

opps i meant Lilly not weaver my bad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

Lil of course pitching is what counts and I was doing it all a bit tougne-in-cheek and I personally hate arena baseball which is what the '96 team basically was, but I still did find that line-up entertaining and it sad as it is it was the best team during the dry spell between '93 and '98. I wasn't trying to make some statement about attendance either I just personally enjoyed watching the '96 team play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 04:04 pm:

Section 111 Row 2. 7 years
Total season tickets is hard to figure out because so many of the miniplans are only on weekends but I remember a Thursday day game (April 3 vs Sea) had only 6,295 as the paid attendance. If even only 2,000 of this was nonfull season ticket holders, it's under 4300.
The lowest for a Saturday or Sunday so far is 15,285 on April 19 vs Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:31 pm:

You have to remember that that particular game was not on the home schedule (it was to have been played in Japan). It was not included in any season ticket packages. All those ticket sales were last minute purchases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:50 pm:

That game on 4/3 is still 6,295 more fans than would have been at the Coli if the game was played in Japan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ralph117 on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 11:51 am:

This is my 13th year in Section 117, Row 16, Full-season. Before that I spent 4 years in Section 107. We have stayed through the good and the bad. I know several ex-season ticket holders who either buy tickets from me or go as my guests to games. Some ex-season ticket holders I know now just have Pac Bell tickets. I share in some Pac Bell tickets myself, especially to see the A's from good seats when they play there - that and to see Baseball. (My life seems like All Baseball, All the Time, between MLB and my kids.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 02:44 pm:

Good point eyleenn. I forgot April 3 game was a Bud Special.The lowest attendance besides that game was 10,695 on a Thursday (May 6) vs the White Sox. Is there a way to find out the walkup and advance sales? That way we could figure out season tix number.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.