Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

New Ballpark Preferences

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: New Ballpark Preferences
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 11:32 pm:

I forget who started a thread last month (was it 'oakfan' or 'buzz'?) that asked, what kind of features do we want for a new downtown or waterfront Oakland ballpark?

I'm going to borrow (okay, "steal"!) from Larry Jackson and 'ramjet' and say it'd be great to have an art deco design (if it's the Uptown site) to fit in with all the cool, old art deco buildings in downtown Oakland. It'd be nice to have a dark green facade, with a touch of gold and white. It would be cool if they sold rooftop seats (a la Wrigley) atop the Sears building across the street from what would be left field and on top of the Oakland Fox theatre, which would be straight ahead center.

Donald Watkins has talked of having a Negro League museum in any new ballpark he helps build. Similarly, there's a guy in Oakland who's trying to get an African-American/Ethnic Sports Museum built, and also the Hispanic Heritage Museum is looking for a home near Pac Bell right now. Given how diverse Oakland is, including these two ideas with a new Oakland park (either part of the park, or anywhere right next to the park on 21st or San Pablo or Telegraph) seems to be a no-brainer.

Also, I'd like the capacity to be something like 39,990 or something like that. Just under 40,000. Easier to sell out and it's kind of a quaint number. I think only Wrigley, Fenway and PNC in Pittsburgh are the only parks with capacity under 40,000. Not bad company.

And I think we all want our old bleacher back, hard benches and all.

What features do you want?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By hecanfoos on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 11:38 pm:

Ummmm....http://www.oaklandfans.com/discus/messages/21/164.html?1012285539

And I was the one that started the thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 11:45 pm:

Oops, sorry, 'He Can Foos'. That was a great idea you had for a thread. What other preferences for a new park do you guys have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 07:39 am:

A Museum of some sort, I would like to see a PCL Museum featuring the Oaks and Seals and Solons and Stars and Rainiers and... but as long as there is something their about history I would be happy.
I also think a cool thing would be to have a Sports Bar and Grill with a view of the field that could be open all year long. They have one at the Bob and it is very cool. It is important that thier is some attractions that are accessible more than 81 times a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 09:59 am:

Ice plants in the outfield, thats our good luck charm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:35 am:

good call

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:03 am:

i wanna call it "Rickey Fields"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:12 am:

too bad it will end being called Wells Fargo Field or Chevron Park or Oro Loma Sanitation District Stadium possibly EBMUD Grounds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

We dont have to call it that just get the money from them and give it a nickname.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By phil on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:33 pm:

though it would hurt the current pitching-oriented team, I would want the least possible amount of foul territory... I like to be very close to the action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 10:19 am:

I still like "Hunter Park"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By urbanite on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 01:18 pm:

How about "Starbucks Grounds"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 02:14 pm:

Urbanite, i like that! Retractable lid with a teeny tiny sunhole. Foul poles are stirrers. After an A's win the crowd is sprinkled with brown cinnamon/chocolate conffetti.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renoasfan on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 02:40 pm:

Oh, God no!! Doesnt anyone drink black coffee anymore, not this $4.50 frappuchino Starbucks snob crap???

I'm surprised the Mari-nerds didnt do something like that with Safeco. Would have fit better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 02:46 pm:

If a company is willing to finance 100% of the cost, I'll call it Trojan reservoir tip park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 02:48 pm:

Hey, I would overdose on fraps every night if Starbucks would come up with the dough to help finance a new ballpark :')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 02:50 pm:

Um...ramjet, I might draw the line there...the big obligatory monstrosity that would go along with that sponsorship and grace the outfield concourse leaves not alot for the imagination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 03:15 pm:

LOL!!!!

Please!!! I can just imagine how they would ask the fans to display it on give away night :')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 09:18 pm:

Not to brag, but I'm the one who came up with the idea of an art deco park. and it should be name "Connie Mack" park; after the original owner of our great ball club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 10:21 pm:

Ramjet - ROTFL!!!!

Tekgraf - I like your idea a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

Thanks, Ramjet. I envision a green and gold (yellow) terra cotta tiled main facade with green girders for the rest of the structure. The stadium would emulate the I. Magnin and old Brueners buildings with a splash of the silver trim from the floral depot building directly across the street from the proposed park. Wouldn't that be a grand ball park for our city and our team!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:56 pm:

Thanks for clarifying that, tekgraf. Credit should go where it's due, sorry I left you out.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.