Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Attendance in 2003

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Attendance in 2003
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 09:18 am:

Good news out of The Chronicle.

The A's have drawn 956,689 in 38 games this year. In 38 games last year attendance stood at 840,417.
The A's should break 1 million today.

"With an average of 25,229 per game, the A's are seventh in the league and could move ahead of both Texas and Baltimore....Oakland is outdrawning Milwaukee, Pittsburg, and Detroit, all teams with new stadiums."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 09:45 am:

Another case in point why ol schott is mum on a new ballpark, why? because the A's DO NOT NEED A NEW PARK!!!!! when drawing over 2mill with no mortgage they are making big $$$$ "just win baby" and the fans will flock.

i hope the owners realize they will make big $$$ and the fans will come out in droves if they sign the players that we the fans come to love (Miggy) and build a repore with the team, they will move up in the attendance fig. we will be the top 4 in the American league year after year if we sign the players and give us a reason of hope.

the Net is and will always be a great place to watch a game, another point all the lux boxes for this series in the outfield are sold out yes my dear the corps are comming through and the A's are making big $$$$$ this year, sign the freggen players!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 10:09 am:

Well, there were a heck of alot of Giants fans yesterday who took up our seats -I have to admit, I was disappointed more of us weren't there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 11:05 am:

dorrit, it looked like 60/40 on TV in favor of the A's fans, until the 9th inning when suddenly it looked like more gnats fans there. Either way we can thank them for buying tickets and spending money in our house!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 11:10 am:

i think this was the purpose of innerleague, the other guys buying our tix and filling our park, thanks Giants fans for helping us.

what do you tnink we draw 2.5 if we are in a tight race remember we get the yankees again this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

It may be the point of Interleague play but that doesn't mean that it doesn't take away from baseball...

While the gimmick matches are cool, Selig and company continue to ruin this game. Interleague play is something that should be reserved for the WS IMO.

And don't get me started on the all star game/WS home field advantage either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

today was the 2nd largest crowd they've had at the coli since mount davis was erected...55K

note that somebody mentioned all the two levels of skyboxes were full...however box 24 remained empty throughout this series...

and no...box 24 is not reserved for the a's greatest ever player, box 24 is the owner's luxury box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 08:11 pm:

Sacto, I don't want to thank Giants fans for ANYTHING! I just wished that we had more A's fans attending. But the biggest question is-how did the Giant fans handle not being able to see the Stock Exchange? Poor babies...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 08:46 pm:

It hardly seems fair. As soon as single game tix go on sale, gnats fans buy up loads of good seats for this series. But at the Phone Booth, there are only a few thousand seats that aren't already committed to s.t. holders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 09:04 pm:

As soon as single game tix go on sale, gnats fans buy up loads of good seats for this series.

Save holding back tickets to select games when individual seats go on sale, the best way to stop this is for the A's to sell more season tickets. We all know the A's track record in this area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 11:35 am:

I have had full season tickets in Section 111 behind first base for years. What I cannot understand is how so many Giants fans (or for that matter Yankee fans) wind up in our section that is always sold out to season ticket holder-at least in the first 10 rows.
It appears that some of our loyal fans aren't showing up to these games in order to make a profit.
As for those complaing about the A's not holding back big game tickets, why don't you or your friends support the A's by purchasing a miniplan and grabbing them up first?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:04 pm:

Well, I have full season tickets in section 119 for the last 22 years. Some of us make it a habit of bying tickets from other s.t. holders who for some reason cannot attend the games. We then sell them for face value to other A's fans. Sometimes I even give them away to A's fans just not to get opposing fans invading our section.

Bruin, those tickets that go to opposing fans are tickets the A's don't include in the partial s.t. plans (A's fans would love to have those seats included in their packages but don't have them available)because they are blacked out by the A's to be sold to walk up crowds and "new fans" which are mostly the opposing team's fans.

As for those complaing about the A's not holding back big game tickets, why don't you or your friends support the A's by purchasing a miniplan and grabbing them up first?

Try calling the A's and say you want to purchase a miniplan but you want the Yankee games included in the plan...you will be told those seats in whose infield sections are sold out and you'll be offered upper deck seats.

The only way to get those seats is to wait until the A's release them for single ticket sales just a few days before game date. Of course those go first come, first serve and the scalpers also compete for those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:05 pm:

Has anyone ever looked on eBay to see how many "prime" A's tix go on sale for games vs. the gnats, yankees, etc.? I haven't checked, but I wonder if s.t. holders are indeed making a profit by selling out to the enemy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

If you buy the 20-game plan where you pick your own games, you can get field level tix for the Yankees and gnats. At least I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:41 pm:

So did some of my friends. That's what I meant. Next year maybe.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

I never said folks can't get seats to Yankees and Giants at different seating locations.

I thought we were talking about the first 10 rows of the usual s.t. holder sections which is located in the infield field levels where many of the partial plan A's fans sit during the regular season except for these premium games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 04:38 pm:

What is the rationale for excluding the prime seats from partial plans? Is it to keep them available for potential full season sales? If so, I guess there some sense to it.
Also, the A's do make individual game tickets available to season ticket holders before they are released to the general public. Next year I'll use the preference and get my friends to gobble up the seats around me for the Yankee and Giant games. That way I can avoid the obnoxious element anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

bruin, I have tried to get tickets in our section near my seats, (sec 119-row 21) for Yankees and Giants games and the answer is always the same...sold out except for rows 30 and up....then if you talk to people who actually come to sit in the rows next to you, like 22 or 23 they will tell you they just bought them as walk up or just the day of the game.

The usual phrase I hear as people arrive to the game...'wow...I can believe I got such great seats!'

I've complained about it and went to the s.t. office several times and the answer is always that those seats must have oppened up at the last minute when s.t. holders turned them in...sheer bullshit.

However, I know this is a policy adopted by the A's front office since this ownership took over and the rationale is that they want to attract new fans with premium seats. I just don't see it that way but what can we do...they're the PR experts, or at least think they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

Who thought of this great marketing scheme? Must have been the fuhrer Bud. Selling premium tickets to Giant and Yankee fans just alienates potential A's fans around them. I sit in the 2nd row and had Giant fans I'd never seen before sitting in front and back of me. Maybe if enough of us complain-all 3000 or wahatever the number is- it will help in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

bruin, I even wrote a letter to Mike Crowley, the A's president. His answer was that as a loyal A's fan I should understand that they are doing all that it is possible to attract new fans to the ballpark by making them experience the good locations to watch A's baseball...yadda...yadda...yadda...

The one who came up with this stupid idea is no longer with the A's. His name is Jim Bloom and he is now in Toronto. He felt that by making good seats available to fans who were shut out of PacBell would help be build new fans.

Believe me, this is one of my pet peeves and I do the best I can to snatch any seats when they become available by other s.t. holders. I even bought tickets from ticketmaster and then walked into the A's front office and said that they were not making these seats available to s.t. holders and I had to pay service charge for seats near me.
They said the usual...'they must have been turned in by s.t. holders' and then refunded me the service charge I had paid.

The other excuse I received after a complaint was that some people were buying 20 game plans and then turning the "bad games" to exchange only for the "good" games. That's when they deciced to black out those for ticket exchange to s.t. holders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By greenandgold on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 01:02 am:

OK...The A's are in 6th, past Texas now.

1. NYY 43,300 - 3%
2. SEA 39,500 -10% new generation stadium
3. ANA 37,600 +39%
4. BOS 33,400 + 1%
5. BAL 30,400 -11% new generation stadium
6. OAK 27,520 +12%
7. TEX 26,600 -12% new generation stadium
8. TOR 23,000 +18% new generation stadium
9. KC 22,800 +33%
10.MIN 22,600 - 2%
11.CHI 22,600 + 1% new generation stadium
12.CLE 21,900 -34% new generation stadium
13.DET 18,100 - 5% new generation stadium
14.TB 12,500 - 6% new generation stadium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 01:17 am:

i am curious about revenue. how much do they make on ticket sales per game, on average. i ask because i wonder if 2-dollar day beefs up our stats without actually providing us with a lot of revenue.

this is very nice to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:28 am:

What the A's give up in admission revenue on Wednesdays is made up at the concession stand. The $1 dogs are washed down with $7 beers. Empty seats spend very little at the concession stands. The only downside is some cannibalizing of Tuesday night games attendance. Thursdays usually stand on their own as they are typically day games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:57 am:

David Alioto has stated that the Wed dollar days are the A's MOST profitable promotion...
People forget that there are only 13K to 15K tickets which are priced at $2 and the rest of the tickets are all regular price.

And all the other ballparks have promotions and discounted tickets too...not just an A's thing, just used a lot by the usual naysayers to be negative and explain the increased attendance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:52 am:

good points. thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:52 pm:

Green and Gold,

You beat me to the punch. I was going to post that, too. The A's are on pace to draw 2.2 million fans this year: It's the fifth consecutive season that Oakland has showed an increase in attendance, and it'll be the most fans in 10 years. Oakland is also finishing ahead of Philadelphia, who has been in playoff contention all season, has the excitement of a new ballpark next year, and is a slightly bigger market than the Bay Area. Chew on that, Selig!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:54 pm:

do you know where oakland places in the ML, not just AL?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:17 pm:

The A's are 16th overall this year and are on a pace to draw 2.23 million. Last year they finished 18th overall and drew 2.170 million.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:42 pm:

do you have the breakdown? or the website where i can find it? thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

nevermind -- i got it. thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.