Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

More on "Moneyball"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: More on "Moneyball"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

This is an interview with Michael Lewis. Extremely interesting comments on some of the players.

http://www.bronxbanter.blogspot.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

Just finished Moneyball. Excellent book. I was thinking about how different it would be if Joe Morgan & Co. were able to buy the A's a few years ago. His philosophy is the opposite of Beane. I'm sure Beane and his group would all have been fired by now and I'm not even sure the A's would be as competitive as they are now. Having an idiot for an owner can sometimes work to your advantage!

I also found it interesting that Micheal Lewis is married to Tabitha Soren, the ex-MTV VJ!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

Well, the worse would have been if the group sent by Selig, Campbell/Stone/Lazarus from Chicago would have bought the team. They even stated that Stone would be running the baseball operations of the team and would probably be the GM.

The Dolich/Piccinini/Morgan group was probably not going to mess with baseball operations since Morgan was going to work on developing the inner city baseball camps and get the team involved in the community. That was his goal. Morgan stated he would never take a job as a field manager nor as general manager.

But I guess we'll never know will we? I want to mention that Piccinini did own the Modesto A's and I never read anything about him being an intrusive owner.

However, I remember at the time, both Dolich and Piccinini told us they would immediately bring back Rickey :) That should make some of the Rickey bashers happy they weren't allowed to buy the team heh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:49 pm:

I believe you lil, I just can't imagine Joe Morgan owning a baseball team and keeping completely out of baseball operations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 06:06 pm:

true, I agree with you on that...especially in dealing with the post season fiascos...

but come to think of it Kevin, there are plenty of folks outside and inside the A's organization right now who don't really agree with all of Beane's philosophy either...and they'll keep their mouth shut either to keep their jobs or because as long the team keeps winning, there is nothing to be said...

but... the post season "crap shoot" excuse is going to get mighty old if Billy doesn't get a ring soon...

Remember that at the end of every commentary about "Moneyball" and Beane, there is always the
"he hasn't won a WS yet" and until he does, people will ready to pounce on him at the first chance they'll get.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.