Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

This guy nails it! "Why aren't fans coming out in Oakland?"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: This guy nails it! "Why aren't fans coming out in Oakland?"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:34 am:

From Today's Letters To The Green

http://sfchronicle.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/08/17/SP52149.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:57 am:

Errr actually all three Oakland teams drawing well now, yes even the Warriors last year although probably not this year after their terrible offseason and now most recent terrible trade. Valid points but this is an old argument.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 09:36 am:

Yeh, A's are averaging 27k per game and I believe, are 6th in AL attendance. As for the Warriors, I don't know and care even less.

But, remember, the A's draw is likely temporary. It should continue as long as they remain in the race for postseason ... and maybe fans are taking Schott at his word? (See comments below). But the letter's author is correct on all counts, just the same. Getting to the WS would be great for obvious reasons, but also for the extra $ it would generate. The question is, would it be invested into more payroll? Also, does anyone recall CheapSchitt saying with re to the Tejada fiasco, that an increase in fans coming out would be needed for them to consider re-signing him? I called it his attempt to blackmail fans into putting more money in his pocket. Guess we'll find out. But by my count, they are averaging close to 5k more per game this year? I think that is about 2k more than Schott claimed was needed. Could be fans are calling his bluff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 07:38 pm:

Did you scroll down on the letters? Someone wrote about unruly people at Pac Bell! Imagine that! Heavens, this should be on the front page of the sports page-to warn the public.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 08:43 am:

Yeh, I saw that. Guess only thrown cell phones and coins get the headlines. That is, if the incident(s) is in Oakland. Same type of incidents at PBP are shoveled under the garbage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

Went to see the cubbies last thursday, when they beat the Astros and tied up the division. The atmosphere was amazing -- crowds showing up hours early and just buzzing like mad. Bleachers were $70-$100, and inside it was SRO and people stood all around the stadium packed tight. The guy i sat next to was with his dad, who was recounting the days when the Bears played at Wrigley. A lotta old-timers still go see the Cubs, usually with their family in tote. The fan base has a real family atmosphere, even tho the tick prices are way higher than the A's. Young fans are just everywhere. I grew up at Wrigley, and this was how I remembered it...ie, it hasn't changed much, aside from the fact that they are a decent team finally. But even when they stunk, they put lots of people in the seats.

From what i've seen over the last 6 years (the time i've been going to A's games), the Net does not draw the family crowds as much. It's a great mix of enthusiastic, knowledgable fans, but it doesn't seem to have the same makeup of Wrigley and Cubs fans at all.

Do you long-time fans think that there was a dropoff in the family crowd when Schott took over. Or was there never as much of a family atmosphere at the Coli?

It's an interesting question from an ethnic standpoint too -- Wrigley crowd is 95% white, whereas Oakland gets an amazing diversity. But how often do you see a black/latin/asian family? Not very often, from what i've seen, but that's probably true league-wide. Of course, whites are a minority in Oakland -- and raising a family in Oakland these days is challenging (i know) -- so maybe not so surprising that white families aren't a big part of the fan base. Tho the burbs are chock full of white families. So why don't they show? You wonder how much of it has to do with the perception of Oakland, and all the crime stats.

Quick fyi aside -- there was an amazing article in the LA Times last month on Oakland, and the fact that thousands of parolees are now on the streets, stemming from the drug convictions of the '80's and early '90's. They are forced to return to their previous homes, so about 1 in 7 20-30 yr. old blacks on the streets are parolees. Which explains why about 90% of the murders involve at least one convicted felon. So the perception of Oakland as a crime den is true and not true -- there is alot of crime and murders, but the vast majority of it is between cons and ex-cons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:17 pm:

"The atmosphere was amazing -- crowds showing up hours early and just buzzing like mad."

Perhaps fueled by alcohol????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

Someone wrote about unruly people at Pac Bell! Imagine that!

What's an "unruly person" at PacBell? Someone who's playing with their phone ring options on their cell phone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

Milo - I actually see Latino families at the Coliseum all the time. Asian families as well, but to a lesser extent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:10 pm:

The reason the Cubs draw so well with that festive atmosphere is because it's a neighborhood ballpark.

We're a highway ballpark. There's nothing to show up early for (outside the park) and nothing worth hanging around for after the game.

Curious: are there any neighborhood parks that don't do well? That seems to be a key ingredient to building something beyond just a fan base -- its an ingredient in bulding a community. And communities support their teams.

'Course I don't understand Schott to get that. He'd probably raze an entire neighborhood if they didn't come out to support his team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

My recollection is that the fanship at Oakland was much more family oriented ... and promoted ... during the Haas ownership. Could be a lot of family heads ... with Schott as owner ... ask themselves the question, "Do I want to take my family of four to the park, spending a cool $200 for three hours when I know there's the possibility that the owner may pack up the team on a dark nite and leave town by the next morning?" A little far-fetched, I know. But unless I'm missing it, I see little in the way of family promotion (as compared to Haas) ... and I guess any fan promotion, period ... under this ownership. Otherwise, this team would draw even better than it is now.

Conversely, every time the owner opens his mouth, it is another negative about the stadium the fans ... you name it. Right now ...absolutely right now ... Schott ought to be taking out full page adds, thanking the fans for their support (without waiting till fan appreciation day). After his ST announcement concerning the one player the fans love and revere the most, he ought to be thanking us fans from bended knees for that 27k per game average. IF the A's make the postseason this year, he ought to start by changing those overpriced tickets (last year) to the lowest of any of the playoff hosts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.