Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

BP: Billy Beane chat

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: BP: Billy Beane chat
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 07:51 am:

Really nothing earth shattering. You can read between the lines and figure some of the questions he probably chose not to answer.

This one made me laugh aloud, however:

Q: Why do you think Joe Morgan seems to believe that you wrote Moneyball?

BB: Sometimes Joe doesn't like facts to get in the way of his opinions.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatld=8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By x94blair3 on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 05:46 am:

Haha..here's another classic:

John (Chicago): I bought 10 of your 1986 Donruss rookie cards back in '86 for $2. I want my money back.
Billy Beane: As well you should!!! Even fans have trouble making good economic decisions.

As far as Joe Morgan and Billy Beane. I went through his weekly chats and found the one that got him in trouble:

JB (Danville, CA): Joe - Did you enjoy Diana Krall last night? I thought she sounded great! The A's offense is scuffling, Dye comes back this weekend and Tejada is starting to hit a little. If you're Billy Beane where do you look to add some pop? I'd love to see them go after a corner outfielder or even a move for Roberto Alomar (the Mets have to be looking to dump salary). Thoughts?

Joe Morgan: I wouldn't be Billy Beane first of all!! I wouldn't write the book Moneyball!

I have said from the beginning their offense will struggle. They can get away with it in the regular season, but not the playoffs. They will be facing better pitching and their offense will really struggle. They have a lot of .260 hitters that get on base, but you have to have someone drive them in. That's why Tejada was MVP last year. Chavez is hitting under .100 against lefties.

Diana Krall does have a magnificent voice.

In the same chat:

David, CT: A lot of people have criticized Michael Lewis' book moneyball. As a former superstar player (who drew more than his fair share of walks), how do you feel about the points brought up by Lewis about Billy Beane's A's, and about the statistical side of baseball in general?

Joe Morgan: I haven't read the book, just excerpts in the NY Times. My feeling is Billy Beane did not come off very well in the excerpt I read. But as far as stats go, you can use them to try and grade players. But players still have to perform on the field. Just using numbers alone doesn't work. You have to have some kind of feel for what he does on the field and how he plays the game. They can help you evaluate a player but you also have to evaluate on heart and dedication. Sometimes stats can be deceiving.

Another question asks his thoughts on the style of future GM's (stats versus tools etc) and Joe says he believes it has to be about more than just #'s.

I have to say as much as I like Joe he definately came off stupidly in this case. On one hand he says he hasn't read the book. Then next case he's saying "I wouldn't have written the book". My guess is he means he wouldn't have been associated with the project based on what he'd read in the NY times article. Which is a reasonable opinion. I don't know that I would have agreed to be associated with the project either.

Maybe I'll submit a question to his weekly chat. He's usually pretty good about clarifying his comments.

-Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 05:27 pm:

And Diana Krall is now married to Elvis Costello!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.