Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

ballpark

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: ballpark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 05:59 pm:

What they have is the model of the entire city and then they take the ballpark model and place at the different sites.

We're going to be scanning the different pics next to the sites HOK presented but I'll post some of the other sites here in a little bit...

stay tuned...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevinaugust on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:04 pm:

Woohoo!! Let's go OH-klund!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:08 pm:

32image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:12 pm:

ballpark\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:14 pm:

ballpark\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

i dont like the JLS one as much as the uptown one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

ballpark\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:22 pm:

Basically I think these are all the pics I have on my hard drive. There might be others from the original e-mail...I really also prefer the Uptown site the best...we'll see what the owners and the investors prefer.

I don't think there should be a need to copy cat
PacBell by building a ballpark away from public tranportation and isolated from the city just to be by the water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:23 pm:

Yah, and the waterfront location has major port operations near it, taking away from some of the charm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:42 pm:

Gawd, did seeing these pictures just make my weekend!!!!! This is absolutely beautiful, this has to happen, it absolutely has to happen!! Just from the way this looks, even tho it's on the waterfront it has no other ambience and I can't see why they'd like that one at all. The uptown deal is SWEEEEET and has its own water view and dangit, when they come to town to do nationally televised games THEY'LL HAVE NO EXCUSE BUT TO RECOGNIZE THE CITY OF OAKLAND AND STOP WITH ALL THE FREAKIN' SHOTS OF SF!!!!!!

And I see my seats too! This has to get done. I'll be there on the 12th, all the way from Sacramento!

Why did my block set never include a layout like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland4ever on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:56 pm:

thanks for the awesome pics, I'll be down from Chico for the 12th

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 08:00 pm:

That's awesome! We're in this together and if each and every one of us does our little part, we will make it happen.

See you all there at Max and at the rally on the 12th!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 10:53 am:

Incredible!!! I can't wait to be in my seat with a beer and hot dog cheering on my, sorry, our Oakland A's!!!! Whoooppeeee! This will certainly make that part of Oakland a destination for both fans and new business and possibly residential development. See you all at Frank Ogawa Plaza on March 12. Yippee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By estes on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 08:17 pm:

I too like the Uptown site. Imagin what they can do INSIDE the old Fox theater! They can have a large trophy case with the replicas of the A`s FOUR WS championship trophy`s. The walls could be lined with the pics and or busts of all the past greats that have worn the Green & Gold. I agree with others...THIS HAS GOT TO GET DONE!!!!
My two boys & I will be there on the 12th as well.
Here we go OAKLAND..Here we go!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 08:33 pm:

See you all Tuesday, I want it so crowded I cant get into City Hall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 08:33 pm:

http://foxoakland.org/Photos/FOXPLAN.GIF

Yes Estes, not only inside but all around the retail shops which could be brought back to life
and flourish...

Just imagine all this beautiful theater coming to life and being renovated.

I wonder how the organization who has been waiting and trying to raise funds to restore and renovate the theater really feels about the ballpark and how it would affect the theater and that area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 09:29 am:

FOOF (friends of the Oakland Fox) is a group that has been trying to raise funds to restore the fox theater visit their web site http:www.//foxoakland.org/

They should definetly be contacted and brought into the equation. The uptown ballpark concept will increase visibility for the theater and keep it in the publics attention. The more people who see the theater the more people who will want to see it restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 09:55 am:

http://foxoakland.org/Photos/FOX-1.GIF

http://foxoakland.org/Photos/FOX-FAC.GIF

http://foxoakland.org/Photos/FOX-8.GIF

Hopefully the decision makers will opt for the Uptown site and then we can contact this organization and get them on board.

We know they are working on a time schedule and the goal for first pitch at the new ballpark is 2006. I believe they will move on to the next phase of the project (financing) fairly soon.

The financial considerations have to be tied into the ballpark location because of the redevelopment and other buy-out considerations of
each ballpark site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By estes on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:26 am:

As i see it the Uptown site is a winning proposal to all concerned. It would, without a doubt, bring downtown Oakland back to life in a huge way.
It would cause property value to shoot up through the roof. It would bring in revenue like Oakland has never seen. It would bring in a ton of new jobs that,in turn, would uplift the standerd of liveing for ALL the people of Oakland.
My only question is that of parking. Where will the parking space be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:48 am:

the parking will be just like any of the new parks... non existent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

Urban ballparks don't usually have parking lots adjacent or surrounding the actual structure as you have with large stadiums such as the Coliseum right now.

However, there are the existing city parking lots
(night games and weekend games these lots remain closed and empty) and there is the possibility of parking garages. The team could own their own parking garage if they want to invest for future revenue. These things need to be negotiated and there's where the expertise of HOK and Horrow Sports comes into play, I presume and hope.

But don't forget that the Uptown site has two Bart Stations at very short walking distance, one of them one city block away. And you have the buses which go up and down Broadway and Telegraph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

Urban ballparks don't usually have parking lots adjacent or surrounding the actual structure as you have with large stadiums such as the Coliseum right now.

However, there are the existing city parking lots
(night games and weekend games these lots remain closed and empty) and there is the possibility of parking garages. The team could own their own parking garage if they want to invest for future revenue. These things need to be negotiated and there's where the expertise of HOK and Horrow Sports comes into play, I presume and hope.

But don't forget that the Uptown site has two Bart Stations at very short walking distance, one of them one city block away. And you have the buses which go up and down Broadway and Telegraph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 12:29 pm:

Part of the charm to the new ballparks is that they fit into the surronding neighborhood. It would be hard to fit into a neighborhood with a parking lot/sea of asphalt/ sea of cars involved

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 01:05 pm:

In creating a vibrant urban space surface parking lots kill any ambiance your are trying to create and ultimatley lower your property values. Comparably zoned property surrounding Main Street in Walnut Creek is more expensive then property surrounding Sun Valley mall in neighboring Concord. Primarily because Main Street and Broadway Plaza are a much nicer experience, than sunvalley which is a big building surrounded by a huge parking lot even though the later has more parking.
I sympathize with those who drive to games and like to tailgate, but on the other hand you want a proposal that will benefit the entire city and surrounding property owners to justify the civic investment. Also I'm a strong advocate for using public transit whenever possible, and walking. The good thing about the Uptown site is that there are plenty of commerical parking sites in the neighborhood and the only conflict for parking spaces would be the Thursday afternoon businessman's (or woman's) special when the commercial lots in the area may be full and thats only about 10 games per season. During evenings and weekends all these lots are empty, if I owned a commerical lot in the area I would be jumping for joy over this proposal. One of the coolest things I remember about going to Wrigley field, was parking in this auto repair shop that shut down business for the afternoon to become a commericial parking lot during game time. It was about 1/2 a mile from Wrigley but it was a nice walk through north Chicago to the game and back to our car. The police can increase security in the area as they do in Chicago to insure that everyone has a nice safe walk to their car. Places become unsafe because there are not pedestrians on the street to keep an eye on things and identify the bad guys. If its a major tourist destination that brings revenue I guarantee it will be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jade7 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 05:29 pm:

I'm wondering what will happen to the Oakland Independent Support Center and the Oakland Homeless Project which sit right across the street from the proposed uptown site (it's the triangle building that sits lower right on lil's "favorite view" pic. These two agencies do wonderful work. I must say the pics are inspiring and it seems like a logical site but I do have concerns about agencies like these.

P.s. Lil your dedication is inspiring I will be there, with questions lol.

Jeremy Pearson
Executive Dir.
Oakland Potluck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 05:43 pm:

Jeremy,

Welcome and thanks for joining us. I understand your concerns and feel that you are doing the right thing by coming forward now with your questions. If Oakland is to prosper and benefit from a ballpark, it is organizations such as yours
that should receive priority and consideration.
I'm glad you will be there and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person.

lil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

How about at the Coli parking lot and Bart over?
That way the Coli can make a buck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:14 pm:

Bubba, that's a great idea! Very practical and a good use of the Coli parking lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 07:21 am:

I would pay to park there, tailgate then bart over!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.