Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

The future of the A's is on the table tonight.

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: The future of the A's is on the table tonight.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 08:39 am:

If you can and if you care, make sure you are there tonight. Remember that the only way fans can really express their support is by being there in person.

New ballpark remains crucial for A's
Glenn Dickey
Tuesday, March 12, 2002
©2002 San Francisco Chronicle

URL: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2002/03/12/SP133150.DTL

THE FUTURE of big-league baseball in the East Bay will be on the table tonight when the Oakland City Council hears a report on a proposed new park for the A's, preceded by a 6 p.m. rally for A's fans at Frank Ogawa Plaza.

Talk of contraction has subsided, but the A's remain on the potential hit list of baseball commissioner Bud Selig, because they are playing in a 35-year- old stadium.

Selig strongly believes that clubs with low- or mid-range revenues need new parks to bring in more money. Though A's attendance has bounced back nicely -- more than 2 million last season -- the club's revenues remain low because there are none of the money-generating features of the new parks.

A's owners Steve Schott and Ken Hofmann have been negotiating an extension of their current lease at Network Associates Coliseum, but only through the 2004 season. If a new park isn't being built by then -- the current plan projects a completed park by the 2006 season -- the A's will remain on the endangered list.

Without the revenue from a new park, the A's won't be able to keep a potential dynasty team together, either. General manager Billy Beane, the best in the business, has done a great job of extending the contracts of his young stars through their pre-free-agency years; but without added revenue, the A's will lose these players when they become free agents.

rest of linked column not included here...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:56 am:

Steve Bitker on KCBS radio this morning led off the 6:45 sports report with the Oakland City Council meeting and the rally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:58 am:

So...as Phil said this morning...

to borrow from the young and vibrant!

Let's REPRESENT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 11:15 am:

"Tonight, I celebrate my love foooor youuu." there is a reference to a song that may apply for you older folks that can't relate to us crazy kids and our representing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 01:41 pm:

Watch it with the "older folks" cracks, Darth :-)
That song isn't that old!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

and some of the "older folks" can "represent" too
thank you very much :')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:12 pm:

Hey you guys represent in a big way... I was just joking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:19 pm:

Will the drummers be there tonight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:22 pm:

I have no idea. I'm hoping that yes but I really don't know if they want to "represent" :')

What I do know is that many of us from here will be there and so will our banner. We'll need volunteers to hold up the banner upstairs inside the gallery of City Hall.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.