Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Let the cover up begin

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Let the cover up begin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 03:12 pm:

Hank says Barry is "Clean as a whistle." Note the quotes from Selig:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/10/23/SPGGV2HCJA1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 04:02 pm:

Like Hank Aaron has any clue about steroid use or any basis whatsoever to make such a statement. What bullbleep.

And Selig. More bullbleep. Hah!

Loved the note about Steinbrenner going to the game on his 144-ft yacht! If you've got it, flaunt it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:54 pm:

Hmmm, Aaron and Selig are now medical experts? When did they get their licenses? But there is no question there will be a supreme coverup.

Actually though, Hank Aaron is a VERY nice man, in spite of all the prejudice shown against him when he was going for the HR record. I wouldn't expect him to say anything else about Bonds. Whether he really believes it or not. If he did, even though it may be correct, it would not reflect very well on him with some of the public, for obvious reasons. And, Selig. Well, what else could we expect from this lying Slug?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:09 am:

Did anybody hear Reggie's interview on the subject.

I happen to have missed it but Phil heard it and said he was very candid and said the use of steroid is rampant in MLB.

Like Reggie or not, he is always brutally candid and has always demonstrated great respect for the game. And he has never been afraid to speak his mind, one of the reasons he has made so many enemies.

Another guy who has always spoken his mind is Mays. Has anybody heard him give an opinion on this? I'm just curious how he would spin his answer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:52 am:

How could he say anything negative about his godson?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:35 am:

Yeh, I think at the least, Mays would skirt the issue, under the circumstances. Even though this cheater is stealing HR records, including his ranking.

Just somewhat of an amusing thought. I've wondered whether Sammy decided to try corking his bats earlier this year, because he is trying to get off the steroids? :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

two good commentaries:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2003-10-22-brennan_x.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/oconnor/2003-10-22-oconnor_x.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:14 pm:

Of course Reggie is going to say steroid use is rapant in MLB today. It makes what he did look that much better. Reggie always took care of himself. Even when he retired with the A's in 87 he pawned it off as some swansong with the team he came up with, when in reality it was the only team that really wanted him. From a personal standpoint being a kid growing up going to the coliseum, Reggie was an a-hole to kids on a regular basis. I have talked with so many A's fans from over the years that have horror stories of the things Reggie said to them as kids. And as far as Reggie being candid, ever heard him critique the modern day Yankees for whom he works. Nah. Reggie is only a candid when it is good for making Reggie look good at the expense of a teamate or another organization. Oh and he was also candid when telling kids to piss off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

Reggie has always been an angry man, carrying a huge chip on his shoulder. Probably a product of his life experiences as a player and as a person, and I am not here to judge him or defend him.

He was however, as a player, a man who has always demonstrated a profound respect for the game. And like him or hate him he never said things for show or because it was the proper thing to say, as far as I have observed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

RTD, I agree with you and remember the way Reggie treated fans. He was a joke of a hitter in 87 but still had his humungous ego and didn't seem to care that he popped up to end every rally. I understand why he is pissed at the A's now but that doesn't take away his ridiculous behavior when it came to the fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

Ok, let's turn this thread into a trash Reggie thread now....I only mentioned what the man said in an interview. Period.

I even agree that he didn't treat fans as he should, but to say "he didn't care he popped up to end every rally" is a bit of a stretch.

All I know is that I was impressed with his attitude when he was asked to sign our petition to the mayor to keep the A's in Oakland. He signed it and showed total support for our cause.
You guys make it sound like the guy is evil...geesh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:15 pm:

Lil, you misquoted me.
I said "he didn't SEEM to care..."
There is a big difference.
Yes you're right he is not evil but he is an arrogant man by many accounts.

Good to hear that he supports our cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:16 pm:

Well anyway...

Ray Ratto asks a good question in his column today

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/24/SPGGA2H7U821.DTL

Do we really care?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

i know some people who volunteer for the a's who have said that he is a huge jerk, an absolute egomaniac, who gets off on bossing people around who he regards as lowly or there to serve him. he snapped at one of my friends to get him something, complained the entire time he wasn't being treated the way he would be in new york. blah blah blah.

i think there are lots of other guys we might honor instead -- tell this jerk to stay in new york. i don't know if he is "evil," but he does seem like a pretty dreadful person. nice that he supports the cause, but i am not going to cheer for someone just because he supports this cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

Can I go back to my original post please.

All I said was that he gave an interview saying that steroids use is rampant in MLB.

I don't recall saying anybody has to cheer or honor, hate or love Reggie.

I did say that he has always shown by the way he played the game that he respects the game and that he is very blunt and candid when asked for an opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 01:01 am:

oh lil, i agree with you that he is blunt and candid. i wasn't really responding to what you had said, only letting this thread wander off topic a bit. sorry. i didn't think you said i had to do anything with regard to reggie -- i just don't think that supporting this cause is enough to make someone a decent human being (though it is a good start). reggie, in my view, might be a great baseball player, but seems to be a lousy human being. well, he certainly wouldn't be the first...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:40 am:

its ok mutiny, and I don't like Reggie just because he signed the petition and for giving us his support.

I like and admire Reggie in spite of his rotten personality and attitude.

But I don't tell others to feel or say what they want about him. It is only my personal feelings, that's all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:40 pm:

And the look on his face after the Yankees lost tonite, was priceless! But I'm still looking for some shots of Giambi. Wouldn't it be hilarious if they never won a WS during his tenure in NY?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:07 pm:

I swear, I was watching the crowd when the last out was done, and they were in SHOCK. OUR Yankees, done in OUR stadium?! A thing of beauty.
I can see Steinbrenner looking like the Queen of Hearts in Alice In Wonderland, "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!" Jeter-0-4, Giambi-0-2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:40 am:

Jason, how are your HOF chances looking NOW???

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.