Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

San Jose Sports

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: San Jose Sports
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

Anyone who thinks that the a's should still move to san jose because of this "developing sports market" and because of silicon valley should take a look at certain attendance figures for Current SJ sports teams. San Jose State might be dropped from Division 1a due to poor attendance. The San Jose Earthquakes have one of the best teams in MLS, the USA's best soccer player and a heavy latin fanbase, yet ranks last in MLS attendance. Also when people pointed to the sharks high attendance figures for reason why the a's should move to SJ, well sharks attendance has fallen to warriors levels. San Jose is a sorry sports city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

linusalf, you have a point there but I don't agree completely. SJ State is a commuter school, one without much school spirit or community pride. It's not surprising that they don't draw well. Soccer is a tough sell no matter where you are in the U.S. And the Sharks fans supported a loser for YEARS, up until more recently.

Needless to say, Silicon Valley has experienced a decrease in population over the last year, and probably won't be booming again for quite some time. The local economy is in shambles, and no chance they will get enough corporate sponsorship to build a baseball park at this point.

So I'd say you have it right that baseball isn't going to happen there. But to call it a "sorry sports city" I'm not sure is totally accurate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland4ever on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:47 pm:

San Jose State was a powerhouse in football for most of the 1980's and early 90's. Despite being ranked several times in the top 25 during that span, the fans still didn't come out. Don't get me wrong, I root for the Spartans, but their attendance woes do reflect poorly on the city's ability to support a professional franchise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:58 pm:

Is it true that San Jose is getting a professional field hockey team. I heard a rumor

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.