Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's stadium proposal statement!!!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's stadium proposal statement!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:53 pm:

I'm posting this on both threads to be sure everyone sees it:

3/13/2002 7:24 pm ET

A's stadium proposal statement

By Oakland Media Relations Dept.

OAKLAND, CA - Oakland A's President Michael Crowley issued the following statement regarding the new baseball only stadium proposal discussed during last nights City Council meeting in Oakland. "The entire A's organization appreciates the incredible support by our fans and the city officials during last night's City Council meeting in Oakland. We strongly support a new baseball only stadium. We have met on several occasions with representatives from HOK along with City and County Officials and are very encouraged by our early discussions. We are excited that the process has begun and a lot of work still needs to be done before as baseball only stadium becomes a reality for all A's Fans throughout Northern California."

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/news/oak_news_story.jsp?article_id=oak_20020313_stadiumstatement_news&team_id=oak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:10 pm:

Awesome! Thank you Jen :')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 07:50 am:

SWEEEEEETTTT!!! So now what does Ignacio say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:22 am:

Mike Crowley is still along way from Schott or Hoffman coming out! But it is a start!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:29 am:

Mike Crowley represents Schott and Hoffman... Schott has already said he wants the A's to have a new stadium preferably in oakland.... I guess I don't see it quite the way Ignacio sees it. If both parties (City and A's) both say they have been working together... The A's owner has said he prefers Oakland and now the team has made an official press release to the effect that they prefer Oakland... what more do they need to say until financing is on the table?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:13 am:

IDLF must really be out of the loop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:24 am:

I think what both Richard Wann and DLF wanted to say was that the A's had not made any public statements that they even want to stay in Oakland.
So far they keep saying they want to look at all their options.

And Bubba is right in saying that Mike Crowley giving out a press release in name of the organization does not quite erase Mr. Schott's
"There is no future for the A's in Oakland".

He did say "preferably in Oakland" the other day and that was good, and it does mean they have taken a couple of good steps closer, but they are not at the table yet.

Remember that Schott was with Crowley, present at the Santa Clara City Council meetings, making promises and wooing the Mayor from Santa Clara who actually told him "no way we are going to use public funds" (paraphrased).

You must realize that this ballpark that is being proposed is for Schott and Hofmann and the A's. It would be important to see them really, really excited and not just playing hard to get like they have been up to now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:40 am:

It would have been even better if they sent a junior deputy assistant to the assistant of Crowley actually say these words at the rally or the council meeting.

Why aren't they at the table and what exactly are these other options they are trying to keep open? I can see it if they didn't want to sound like they were demanding a new stadium, but they already let the horse out of the barn with their statements about the south bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:58 am:

Actually, we have heard, and Crowley is now confirming with his statemet, they have been at the table with city officials. But according to these city officials, Schott has not been present.
Hofmann has been to the meetings with Crowley.

Hofmann, as a matter of fact, has been seen and has been much more active in his envolvement with the team. I just heard from a friend that he is now at the A's Spring Training camp.

One thing that would be very encouraging, and we all know action is so much better than any talk,
would be if they indeed negotiated and extended the lease to 2004, EVEN if the team would continue to play with the existing sweetheart deal of playing rent free as they do now.

However, when the A's proposed to extend the lease last time, they wanted the city to kick in with more money and that was really not acceptable due to some restitution and out-clauses they wanted along with the extension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 11:11 am:

That's great news, and after the criticism that Danny Wan and De La Fuente expressed Tuesday night, Crowley's announcement was long overdue. But it's a huge first step and I really liked the part where they praised the fans for their support.

Let's keep this momentum going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 04:21 pm:

chris d,

Yes, absolutely lets keep this momemtum going. We must get the A's a ball park. I was impressed with the amount of fans that showed tuesday at the plaza as well as the incredible support from many Oaklanders. Especially impressed that Mother Wright showed her support, being a social person and all, I would have thought she would have said something like, "we need the money for the poor". There was only one person who spoke against the proposal, but I don't blame him; Al Davis and Raiders sure made a mess and all. Lets get this park up and running. I want to sit in my seat, with a beer and hot dog, basking in the summer sun in downtown Oakland, my home town.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.