Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Newbie looking for fellow Spring Training travellers...

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Newbie looking for fellow Spring Training travellers...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

Hi! I am a newbie here, just introducing myself to y'all. I have been following the Oaklandfans.com forums for quite some time, and finally decided to join in the chat. I have been a lights-out Oakland A's fanatic ever since I read Moneyball --- I have actually made that 7 hour drive from Los Angeles to Oakland several times just to see 'em. (yes, and I saw them clinch the division title too!)

I would like to make a few new friends, who would be interested in going to see the A's at Spring Training, maybe even dress up in full green and gold rally regalia to support our team. I am especially looking forward to seeing our prospects play.

A bit about myself: I am 30 year old female computer programmer residing in Los Angeles. 5'5", 115, Br,Br, loves music,hiking,sports. My fiancee is a Cubs fan (poor thing), so he has no interest is accompanying me to see the A's. It is too much of a bummer to make that trip alone, so if you would like to join me, please let me know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 02:38 pm:

Oakchick, welcome.

The ST discussions will probably begin next month after the A's release their ST schedule. Most people will begin to plan their trips either next month or January, so keep checking back periodically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 03:41 pm:

Thank you so much! I will most definbitely look out for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 04:23 pm:

The Cubs train in Mesa Arizona. Check the scedule and bring your fiance along to see an A's/Cubs game either in Phoenix or Mesa...
According to the A's tenative ST schedule, The A's play the Cubs in Phoenix on Sat. March 20, and Thurs March 25. They play in Mesa on Mon, March 22.

A's ST Schedule:
http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/schedule/tentative_2004_spring_schedule.jsp

Cubs ST Details:
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/ballpark/springtraining_2003.jsp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 05:08 pm:

Based on that "bio", I say leave the fiance' at home, and I'll see you there!

Just kidding, but I will be there from March 5th thru 13th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:37 pm:

I'm assuming the opponent listed for 3/14 is a typo. Do the A's really host the Reds that day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 02:51 pm:

Wow! Thank you everybody for the information! I should try to make it on those dates. It is still hard to mention the Cubs to my fiancee though---they totally broke his heart. He is still traumatized everytime someone brings up the Cubbies.

Go A's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 10:34 pm:

Ladies, you should only hook up with guys who are A's fans!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

eyleenn is right. boy, do i wish i married an a's fan. seeing my hubby get all excited whenever gammons is on sportscenter, reporting the latest in theo's moves, i want to be sick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:52 pm:

My top 3 qualifications: A guy must be (1) a dog lover; (2) an A's fan; (3) a Seinfeld fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:21 am:

Mutiny,

Whenever the hubby ticks you off or starts raving about the Sox, cough and say "Buckner" at the same time. He should get real quiet for awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:29 am:

"My top 3 qualifications: A guy must be (1) a dog lover; (2) an A's fan; (3) a Seinfeld fan."

Soliciting, Ey?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By frannix on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 12:46 pm:

I'm new (here) also. Got fed up with the harrassment of A's fans at other boards.
Been an A's fan since my green/gold diapers in the 70's.
Make the annual pilgrimage to S.T. in AZ.

Was there to see our guys lose the W.S. in '88 and also the Carney-led vengeance championship in '89, and than witnessed our disappointment in '90.

IMO this team is one of the few good examples in professional sports, which have been otherwise messed up by greed, unions, slovenly players, corporate ownership, media over-hype, east coast bias, TV, bad league management, etc.

It's all about the Oakland Athletics!

re: Seinfeld.. Kozmo Kramer for 'Ball-boy'!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

Volunteering, Jer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

the buckner thing doesn't work any more. especially now that everyone thinks the red sox are the team to beat next year. but ya know what does get him steamed? "gee honey, i still can't figure out why they left pedro in to pitch the 8th. weird, huh? and against the yankees." that really gets him going. i only pull it out when he starts talking about the ALDS and how much "heart" the red sox have.

by the way, i can't believe how quickly sox fans turn on a fan favorite in nomar just as soon as the prospect of a-rod appears. no worries for me, though. nomar is hands down my favorite red sox and i would love to actually be able to cheer for him. and curt schilling just gives me one more reason to hate them.

my hubby is a dog lover, though. we have three. and we all watch seinfelf re-runs daily. so things could be worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:18 pm:

2 out of 3 ain't bad, mutiny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By frannix on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 11:02 am:

Don't include me on that list of 'everyone', mutiny.
I'll remain eternally skeptical of the bosox until they finally prove it wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:48 am:

Mutiny,

How about you wear a Bucky Dent throwback Jersey around the house?

Or update it with an Aaron Boone jersey.

Don't let him fool you, Buckner still stings, always will. No ring for Yaz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By personal loans on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 05:22 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Internet pharmacy on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 02:06 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.