Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

REMINDER: Rebels of Oakland Tonight!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: REMINDER: Rebels of Oakland Tonight!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

On HBO at 9PM.

Unfortunently HBO still doesn't have a webpage for the show but still have the "Curse of the Bambino" page up. Here is the description of the show from the HBO schedule:

"HBO Sports takes a look back at Oakland's sports teams in the 1970s when baseball's anti-establishment A's and football's smash-mouth Raiders dominated their respective sports during a period of intense change. The film sheds light on a turbulent era in Oakland's history when these two dynamic ballclubs shared the Oakland Coliseum and defined the city with a combination of hard-nosed play, outrageous personalities and their intense owners, Charles O. Finley (A's) and Al Davis (Raiders). Interviews include Ken Stabler, Gene Upshaw, John Madden, Jim Otto, Reggie Jackson, Vida Blue, Sal Bando, Rollie Fingers and former Coliseum vendor Tom Hanks."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:25 pm:

My VCR will be rolling!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

I just read two very nicely written articles in the Oak trib this morning.

I'm so excited to relive history. It makes me sad that both owners are such assholes and don't appreciate the city of Oakland and the fans that are here.

It also makes me sad that baseball and football are no longer the blue collar sports they once were. It use to be that you could buy a cheap ticket. ride out on BART, get a hot dog and a coke and still give change back to your mom. Those are the fond memories I have growing up with my brothers in the biggity O during the 60's and 70's. Ahem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

Whoo hoooo... JerryO is coming over to catch it at my pad.

YC.. I agree.. I saw just a flyer for the show on HBO's web site.. but alas, its OAKLAND we are talking about.. and well like baseball.. low budget.. no advertising, etc...

Well must get house clean.. attend x-mas party.. come home and watch. hehe

Enjoy

Simple Fan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:57 pm:

I am in Ohio on business and I was able to just catch the show.

It is a great program. It is funny how things don't change. The A's and Raiders are still considered the B teams. The A's also still have a terrible owner (Schott's hero must be Finley)

I was too young to remember the teams of the 70's but it makes me proud of our history.

I understand even more the goal of this site to "Respect the Oakland Legacy"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:05 pm:

I can't believe they opened with that old lie about Gertrude Stein saying that "there was no there there" referred to Oakland. It only referred to the house she grew up in as a child in Oakland

I'm watching it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 11:08 pm:

It was an excellent show. It was thrilling to remember all the success both the A's and Raiders had. Great stuff.

Reggie had one of the most memorable observations. He said that if it hadn't been for free agency, the A's would have keep winning until those players retired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 11:14 pm:

I was all set to watch it when I saw that HBO through Directv was showing the movie Drumline they had Rebels of Oakland on HBOW which I didn't figure out until about 9:50. Ugh! Oh well I'll have to catch the repeat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 12:13 am:

It was beautifully done.

It made me so damn proud to come from this city. Tom Hanks was interviewed and he sounded alot like my brothers talking about the Raiders and A's.

I was also impressed with some of the footage. Especially the scenes of the parades on Broadway. I even tried looking to see if I could find me and my brothers standing on the sidewalks. I think HBO did a damn good job. Let's hope that asshole Selig watches and understands our legacy and tells Schott to shut up about moving and work something out with the city of Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:32 am:

The only part I did not like was Tom Hanks speaking as an announcer!

Thats just my thing though!

I will agree with tekgraf.. I does make one feel proud to be a part of this community.

Sadly, I did not live here during those great years, so hearing Bill King announcing Raider games was a treat for me.

Simple Fan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:20 am:

It was great...I like how the more things change the more they stay the same...Bring back Wally Haas Sr....We miss you sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

Just finished watching my tape of the show.
Really, really well done. Listening to Reggie and Joe Rudi talk about those teams and the dismantling choked me up.
What a BASTARD Charlie O was. But it just makes our crazy history that much more interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

Charlie O. makes Schott look like a benevolent grandfather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:08 pm:

That film of Jackson smashing that homerun in the 73 series against the Mets, he hit it to our section of the bleachers. It was about 100 degrees that day, and we sat the entire time in the sun baking.

Can it be that it was all so simple than...
Or has time re-written every line....

Plibbbbpp (sound of hot air going out of a balloon).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:27 pm:

ramjet1; it was that simple then.

As one other poster wrote, there was community with the sports teams at that time. But it use to be that way in all the big cities. Balitmore, Cleveland, Boston, etc., etc., etc.

I think things started to change in the early to mid 80's when these sports teams started spending WAY too much attention about money and stop caring about the fans who really helped pay for the players' salaries. And we can also blame ourselves for intruding on a player's personal business. Times have changed and not for the better.

But looking back at our history as a city and community, I think we have an incredible legacy to remember. Let's keep it up and think positively that the A's will remain in Oakland and continue that legacy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 11:09 am:

For those of you that missed this.. it repeats 12/19 @ 9 p.m. on HBO.

Check your local listings for a station nearest you!

Simple Fan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 01:41 pm:

It's being aired on HBO right now, from 12-1.

I noticed that both Monte Poole and Ray Ratto appear as "Oakland residents," not as journalists, because they weren't journalists in the 70's. It gives an interesting perspective to their recollections.

I love Reggie's expression after Charlie O. congratulates him on his performance in the 73 WS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

Bill King compares Stabler's performance in the 76 SB to Jascha Heifeitz, famed violinist. How great is that!

Bill was at his best in those days.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.