Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Community and media

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Community and media
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 08:07 am:

This is simply MY observation and MY feelings but perhaps there are those here who may relate.

I was born in Oakland and raised in the East Bay. My memories include being able to walk up to a player on the street because they lived here and because they were approachable (especially the Raider players) the culture was amazing here in the 70's. The athletes would be out in the community, mixing with the local citizens and charitys, they would shop where you shop and get gas where you do. The citizens would embrace these athletes My father grew a "Rollie Fingers" mustache, all the kids wore the A's/Raiders/Warriors gear and the media would spotlight the our East Bay Teams.

My grandfather owned a Shell station and people would flock to get gas there because we had the Raider/A's free glass sets you could earn with your shell card.

Perhaps this was helped by the fact that we had ALL of the success in the bay area where sports was concerned at the time.

The community embraced the teams and the players embraced the community. Even with all that was going on in the early/mid 70's in the area Oakland was a place of community, culture, diversity and sports. Sports was one of the things that brought us all together.

When is the last time you heard something positive about the area? A fluff peice on the community. 99% of what I hear about Oakland in the media is the murder/crime rate.

I never see Athletes in the area (maybe San Ramon/Danville) and I don't feel the embrace of the community to the teams or the embrace of the athletes to the community.

Has economics turned everything cold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:31 am:

goltymer,

I agree with your observations and we haven't had anything like that where the players embrace the community since the days of Dave Stewart, etc.
Not to bash Schott to death (although I'd love to!), but the beginning of the "cold period" in A's history was around the time when Schottman took over.
As far as the Raiders, to me it just hasn't been close to the same as the Raiders of the 70's since they returned. Back then it was much more family-oriented at the games. I think by losing that feeling the Raiders lost touch with the community.

Would love to see both teams back to what they used to be. I think new owners all around would be a step in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

I think there's so much media scrutiny of players now that they keep more to themselves and don't go out into the community unless it's for some planned charity event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

The A's have ruined their pr with the community by refusing to commit to Oakland and always looking down south to move the team.

I think one way to bring some of the love back is to move the fanfest to downtown Oakland or back to JLS.

I think thousands of Raiders fans from the 70s never forgave Davis for moving the team. They either stopped watching the Raiders or switched to another team like the Niners.

I also think the atmosphere at the Raiders game has changed. Back then, you didn't hear about the rumored Raider fans beating up on other opposing or imtimidating other fans like it is now. The image Raider fans had before they moved to LA was that of Steeler and Packer fans. They were loud but they never had that thug image the Raiders have now.

That image was born in LA and have come back to Oakland fans who probably aren't as brash as the LA Raider fans are but they're labeled that way because of the way they dress up and the rumors they hear about going to the net.

I don't think that many Oaklanders like the image the Oakland Raiders fans are linked to the city now. You don't hear A's fans causing the trouble Raider fans do and if I had to take a guess, most Raider fans are A's fans too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:41 am:

I don't see the community leadership embracing the franchises much either. Brown could give a crap. I remember actually seeing him show up with his "assistant" to one of the postseason games vs NY back in 2000 and being shocked.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.