Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

2004 Attendence - 2 million...maybe

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: 2004 Attendence - 2 million...maybe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:44 pm:

Yeah, my SB prediction is still alive with Favre throwing a gift int.

Hated to see Favre end his season that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:39 am:

i was real bummed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mumsmilk on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 03:14 am:

Favre deserved to go out that way...especially after what he has done to the 49ers in his career. I mean I think he is 10-1 except for that crazy 4th and 25 pass from Steve Young to Terrell Owens to win that playoff game a few years ago. In fact even before that pass, Jerry Rice fumbled a catch before his knee was down on a previous 4th down that was incorrectly ruled. Don't for a second ever feel sorry for Favre, he's had his share at the expense of the Bay Area's finest. And you complain about Schitt and Hoffman, what about that freaking tigh ass York who is bound to let Owens, Plummer, Barlow, Streets and Peterson go. If the 49ers are better than 3-13 next season then I'll eat my hat....at least the #1 choice in the draft may be possible. Never mind at least the A's will win the world series and Stanford should beat UConn in the NCAA tourney which should offset any NFL misery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:05 am:

"Favre deserved to go out that way...especially after what he has done to the 49ers in his career. I mean I think he is 10-1 except for that crazy 4th and 25 pass from Steve Young to Terrell Owens to win that playoff game a few years ago. In fact even before that pass, Jerry Rice fumbled a catch before his knee was down on a previous 4th down that was incorrectly ruled. Don't for a second ever feel sorry for Favre, he's had his share at the expense of the Bay Area's finest. And you complain about Schitt and Hoffman, what about that freaking tigh ass York who is bound to let Owens, Plummer, Barlow, Streets and Peterson go. If the 49ers are better than 3-13 next season then I'll eat my hat....at least the #1 choice in the draft may be possible. Never mind at least the A's will win the world series and Stanford should beat UConn in the NCAA tourney which should offset any NFL misery."

If you read my post in the thread "Disguested A's fan", you see my thoughts on York and company.

As for Favre, yes, he has caused me heartache as a Niners fan, but I respect him as a player and person.

For him to do what he's done the past few weeks after this father's death was amazing.

As a Niners fan, I know where you're coming from. When Favre beat the Niners in 95, I couldn't stand him and as the years and losses to him continued, I wished injuries to him, which is downright wrong.

Though as the years past, I've gained respect for him as a player because he's one of the best ever and he plays the game with a passion few player do now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 04:25 pm:

I don't believe the A's are losing a significant number of fans to the Giants because of SBC etc. The Giants fans already existed and now can watch a game in less tundra-like setting.

The A's like most teams lost a lot of fans because of the strike.

The A's need to figure out how to get the product out to more customers.
The A's were on a radio station 960/990 which could not be heard at the GM's home in San Ramon. The Giants are on KNBR which can be heard at least as far south as Bakersfield and as far north as Washington State at night. The A's are on cable Channel 36, the Giants are on Channel 2 which is more readily available. The A's season ticket base is mostly Bay Area, the Giants fan base is Northern California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:39 pm:

Good point. The A's Radio and Television coverage sucks even worse outside the Bay Area. Until recently, no Sacramento TV station carried them. Last season, Channel 31 carried a light dusting of games, no more.

Even more laughable is their so-called Sacramento radio "affiliate", KHTK, which supposedly carries weekend games, but regularly pre-empts them for lesbian basketball. Even when they do carry an A's game they cut right into and out of the game broadcast and do not carry the pre- or post-game shows.

When KFARTC cuts their power at night, listeners are left to try to fish for the A's broadcast from Auburn or Modesto. If you're lucky (or unlucky depending on your opinion of him) you can pick up Dave Niehaus on Mariner broadcasts after dark.

Schott bitches about no fans, but you're not going to build your fan base when people cannot even follow the team. Cheap bastard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:40 pm:

"lesbian basketball"????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:42 pm:

WNBA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:06 pm:

i knew what you meant, i was just hoping you would take it back...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bloggsy on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:12 pm:

ronc - you're right without a doubt.

the media angle cannot be underestimated. crap radio, crap TV and defintely second citizen newspaper coverage from media central across the bay.

it is like heritage. when did the a's ever have decent radio for more than a year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:46 pm:

560 KSFO was a very good for the A's in the 80's and early 90's. For a while, they even had a nightly "A's talk", even when there wasn't a game on. Imagine that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:25 pm:

If the A's or some dream east bay enterpernuer created a 50000 watt sports radio station, fat chance, the A's will continue to be on these small am radio stations.

Forget 1050, never going to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:03 pm:

Kevink, I remember those days. I had a KSFO '89 WS bumpersticker on my car for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:55 am:

1050 won't happen but it would be HUGE for our team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:15 am:

I agree it's silly for the A's to stay with KHTK. While it is an all-sports station, the A's are fifth in priority behind the Kings, Monarchs, Raiders and local talk shows. Because of that, the A's are carried only on the weekends.

Even when they do carry an A's game they cut right into and out of the game broadcast and do not carry the pre- or post-game shows.

That's true. As soon as the game ends and Bill gives his first recap of the linescore, KHTK cuts away to other programming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:24 am:

Sac used to be a huge A's market too.

You would think with the Rivercats there...the station would show more interest in the A's as there are obvious ties to the Sac area with the AAA team there.

It's just plain silly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:33 am:

I don't think it's all the club's fault their media coverage sucks in Sacramento. Since Clinton's deregulation of the industry, media monopolies have come to be able to throw around their power unchecked in broadcast and cable. Sacramento is one of the worst markets for that as evidenced by the Sacramento Kings being unable to get their games carried by the bastards at Comcast.

I think the A's have made an effort at getting coverage here. Problem is, Schott reacts to resistance by taking his marbles and going home, just like he does with player acquisition (or retention).

A committed owner and savvy marketer would just not accept that situation. If the A's are not drawing at least 40% of their attendance from the burgeoning Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto media market they are idiots and bad business people.

All this crap about Schott running the A's like a business may be true, but he's running it like a bad business because he's not maximizing his revenue, and this media debacle is clear evidence of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:41 am:

P.S. Speaking of taking your marbles and going home, what happened to Yazman?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:05 pm:

"ronc - you're right without a doubt.

the media angle cannot be underestimated. crap radio, crap TV and defintely second citizen newspaper coverage from media central across the bay."

Did anybody watch the sunday night sports show on channel 5?

They had Willie Brown on and typically of his SF homerism, he says the Warriors don't belong with Oakland and should move to SF.

He said that SF should've built an arena near SBC so it would be like MSG site in NYC.

First off, Willie Brown should worry about not building a new stadium for the Niners, yet alone a bad team like the Warriors. If they can't build a new stadium for a the only team that has brought a championship in SF, how are they going to build a new arena for the Warriors. The guy is delusional.

Regarding the media slant towards the teams in SF. Well, at least the Raiders have a voice on the radio with Brooks and JT who are Raider homers.

No A's fan is on the radio and it's a sad statement that in the 5 biggest media market in the world, there is no voice for the east bay on bay area sports.

The minute you want to talk about the A's, you get cut off or it's like talking to a child who doesn't want to listen.

And knbr needs to stop mentioning Giants fans as "bay area" fans. Not everyone in the bay area likes the Giants but you wouldn't know that by listening to the radio. The bay area doesn't revolve around the city of SF. The SF media is so full of themselves when they talk how great "the city" is.

Oakland sports owners don't help either with them helping the east bay with media relations.

Schott-doesn't want to stay in Oakland and has always had his eye on the south bay.

Davis-lawsuits, end of story.

Cohen-is too afraid to change the GS to Oakland because he's doesn't want to lose the white collar SF fans who wouldn't want to root a team that named after the city of Oakland.

On a side note, I think it's strange that when the Warriors changed their team colors, it went from blue/gold(A's color) to a blue/orange(Giant color). Is that pandering to the SF fans by changing the primary colors from an A's gold to a Giant orange. Sure there's still some gold in the color scheme but orange plays a more important role in the color scheme now.

The uniforms look horrid anyway, that's something that needs to change. You got blue, orange, gold, red, white as the colors; that's too much.

If I had my say, the colors would just be blue and gold. The gold should look gold like the what the Niners or Rams have on their pants. None of this yellow or orange stuff. Imagine the Cavilers jerseys that look sweet and replace the red with blue and you have the Warriors new unis. They'd look a hell of a lot better.

There's goes my Warrior rant for the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:23 pm:

The Warriors need to get rid of that mascot who looks like a mime holding up a liquor store too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:27 pm:

"The Warriors need to get rid of that mascot who looks like a mime holding up a liquor store too."

so funny! yeah, that mascot sucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:31 pm:

Thunder is a hell of a lot better than their mascot from the mid 90s, the Berzerker.

What the hell was that, Bigfoot in a basketball uniform.

Change the logo while you're at it.

Just have the baskeball with "Warriors" over it. Get rid of the lightning bolt on top of the Warriors. If you want to keep the theme of lightning bolts on the logo, have it in the backround or two crisscrossed like the Kings have with the swords. Anything is better than what they currently have. It looks so damn cheasy.

The Warriors have made some horrible decesions whether it be player personal or just their new image with logs/team colors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:36 pm:

Get rid of Golden State or Shower or whatever they're called and rename them the Oakland Warriors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:20 pm:

Yeah! The Oakland Warriors is a much better name. Go back to the yellow home jerseys with a silhouette of a bridge (make it the East side of the Bay Bridge), but instead of "The City", it should say "Oakland" in the same font.

With the Warriors practicing in downtown Oakland, playing in Oakland, and with former Oakland natives permeating the NBA over the years -- from Bill Russell to Jason Kidd (and a ton of guys in between: Gary Payton, Greg Foster, Antonio Davis, Paul Silas, Isiah Rider, just to name a few) -- why wouldn't you call them the "Oakland Warriors?" Does Cohan think the fans don't know what BART stop/freeway exit they're stopping at?

"Golden State" is a minor league sounding name. And they've been getting minor league results for a generation now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:36 pm:

"Yeah! The Oakland Warriors is a much better name. Go back to the yellow home jerseys with a silhouette of a bridge (make it the East side of the Bay Bridge), but instead of "The City", it should say "Oakland" in the same font."

Which bay bridge do you want, the old span or the new one.

http://www.newbaybridge.org/photo_galleries/downloadable_wallpapers/newbaybridge_04_800x600.jpg

I'm alright with the bridge idea on the unis and the gold/blue-home/road jerseys, I like your second idea more about having Oakland on your road jerseys sans the bridge.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.