Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Archive through January 11, 2004

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: 2004 Attendence - 2 million...maybe: Archive through January 11, 2004
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:21 pm:

The last I heard the current A's season ticket base is at best 50% of the total in the late 80's. The A's have lost a significant number of season ticket holders.

I'd like to know if the A's have lost a lot of Corporate season ticket holders to SBC or whether they've just lost them period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:59 pm:

>The A's hardcore fan base is about as strong as any other team. They're losing the battle over the casual fans.

- i think this is the difference between the bay area and the midwest and east coast. almost everyone in chicago is a casual fan of sports, whereas out here, there seem to be as many non-sports fans as sports fans. generalization, sure, but i think it's true.

so not only is it harder to lure casual fans out here, but there just aren't as many to lure in the first place (as a proportion of population). and one of the biggest factors in luring these folks is the stadium and its perks, views, pazzazz...of which the Net is lacking.

damn shame they can't swing a deal for a downtown park. especially since the oaksterdam boom down there, it's quite a scene, and a lucrative one at that - bet the concession stands would do real well in that hood...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 07:22 am:

Eyleenn,

You will be glad to know that the low cut "butt crack" jeans are going out of style. (my bride told me that...she is a fashion follower).

Right now the A's have to contend with the Gnats success and the novelty of SBC. It was easier when the Gnats played in the stick..the park flat out sucked, worst in baseball.

The only immediate solutions are (A) to win, regular and post season and (B) to create an atmosphere of excitement.

As annoying as some people found the drummers for example, I loved them. They were great for the atmosphere in the park and the commercials were smart as well because they promoted a fun and exciting family atmosphere based on youth and energy and created an interactive experience for the fans. This became especially helpful for the "fringe fans" because they could learn the players names and the chants and feel involved, like they were a part of the overall experience.

One thing I learned from my years in nightclub marketing was that if you can get the people involved they will feel they belong and often come back.

The ad campaign with the players and drummers in 2000/2001 had that element and really helped to grow the fan base (well...that and winning) too bad the momentum was derailed.

We have excellent capitol in our youthful, fun players it is a shame we do not maximize that to our advantage.

A's Country just doesn't cut it for me. I feel we have gone backwards.

Finley may have been a cheap prick but he understood getting the fans invilved and knew about creating a spectacle.

I am not looking for a mule here....and I am not looking to hire Veeck but creating an atmospere that pulls the fringe fans in will help to contend for the expendable dollar in the Bay Area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By voxhoo on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:21 am:

I think fan support for baseball is very strong in the Bay Area. Over 5 mil people attended an A's or Giants game in 2003 out of 7 mil population. Chicago has twice the population and 10 mil people didn't go see the Cubs and White Sox play. The NY population is 3 times as big, but 15 mil didn't go see a baseball game. The Orioles have a bigger pop than the Bay Area, and they've never drawn 5 mil. people.

There are a few exceptions (St. Louis, Cubs) but, all teams rely on casual (and bandwagon) fans. Neither the A's nor Giants could draw more than 2 mil without them. That's why winning matters to owners. Winning puts fans in the seats.

The season ticket base might be down 50%, but are hardcore fans going to 50% fewer games? Or are they simply buying individual game tickets instead?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:45 am:

If the A's would not find ways to jerk the season ticket holders around, most would consider renewing. But alas, schitt is greedy and well there ya have it.

I recently wrote a paper on how the team could get more people into the stands and what I found in some research is that fans miss the days where players were more personable and accessable(yes I know that won't come back), players were more likely to show at fan festivals, signings, etc., the fan apprciation day was filled with all kinds of give away stuff (now you get a "thank you for being a fan" announcement), the regular season weekend give away items were something of value instead of a flag you put on your car that breaks apart at first feel of wind!

Yes Finley was a cheap sob but hey he could market the A's. Schitt would not even have a clue as to how to market his fruit of the loom underwear!

Every time I have sat in line for my Bobble head's over the past 2 seasons, I have wandered where all the fans came from? Where were they when the A's would have fan fest at Jack London Square and have a room where you could go in and buy just about anything that was in the locker room? Where were they when Giambi (who was not snubbin the A's at that time) would show up for autograph signings?

Now fan fest is just a big commercial circle jerk. The days of being able to ask the team personal or professional questions is gone. No more family feel.

I think if the management took a long hard look at their marketing and took a survey to see what Fans really wanted, they would find ways to draw more people into the ball park.

But this all will circle back around to the fact that the A's need new owners now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:09 am:

The ownership is primarily the issue and this is the site where that fact is hashed and rehashed. Assuming that there is no person on this site currently who can or would purchase the team, be approved by MLB (That is another issue alltogether.."that is another issue"..see Airplane!) I digress..all that we can hope will be done is perhaps a little more ingenuity from the marketing department to increase the atmosphere of excitement.

I worked in Nightclub Entertainment and marketing for years and had the opportunity to try and examine many promotions and strategies.

Wednesday nights is the equivilent of a nightclubs "dollar drink night", sure it puts butts in the seats and creates a crowd (who will spend some additional dollars on other items..beer etc) but in the long run, you are not thrilled with the make up of the crowd you brought in. You have more incidents to manage, spend more on security and often people will spend the minimum. Is this the best we can hope for?

Dollar driven promotions are usually a band-aid and not a solution to an issue. People will spend the dollars if the product is worth attending. With so much competition in the bay area for the expendable income dollar...winning really helps but alone is not enough (the team across the Bay wins too) So what can we produce to better compete?

Look at what Bill Veeck was able to accomplish for a team that was in a similar position but experiencing less success in the standings.

I truly believe that with the current ownership and the budgets we have within the facility we are in.. (our situation as it is) besides continuing to win.........the only way Oakland can increase attendance and relative revenue is to whip out the bells and whistles so to speak.

It all comes down to improving the overall ballpark experience and leveraging the image points we have to work with.

They had a good beginning towards this in 2001..they should have built on this instead of back-sliding.

Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:23 am:

I lobby for Disco Demolition Night ever year with my season ticket renewal.

So don't blame me for not tryin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By warnerkallus on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:19 pm:

the jake has a porch designed so that people can get thier beer and dog, and eat or drink it while they watch the game. It gives a good atmosphere to the park. people dont have to run back to thier seats. You see new parents with kids in tow stadning while little billy eats his pretzel and dad or mom can still watch the game. the A's could handle that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:19 pm:

I’m sorry, did you guys say something? I got as far as Leann Tweeden’s butt crack, a prick and a mule before my hard drive blew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:25 pm:

yeah, sound like a tijuana donkey show to Finley.

: o )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yazman on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:29 pm:

Hello everyone,
As a Red Sox fan in exile in New York, where Yankee followers are forever deluded in thinking that they have something to do with their team's success, I just wanted to say that it's been fascinating to follow this discussion. Glad to see there are west coasters who care about baseball like you all clearly do.

I can only add that it really doesn't matter how well Oakland draws. Because the Red Sox are gonna wipe out the A's again this year, assuming you get to the playoffs.

Just a friendly reminder.

YazMan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:36 pm:

Speaking of pricks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:37 pm:

Cool name ...YazMan..like Yastremski...another guy who never saw a ring in his lifetime. Poor bastards couldn't even hand Williams the hardware.

Good luck in the next 80 years.

Regards,

Aaron Boone, Bucky Dent and of course Bill Buckner.

P.S : The babe says hi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:43 pm:

speaking of a tijuana donkey...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:53 pm:

Just when you thought it was safe!

Geezz.. freakin Red Sox fan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:11 pm:

Thats the same dick that came on this forum to rub it in after game 5. Go climb back under your humping log that you kicked Grady Little out from under. Once again another psuedo Sux fan that does not look at the reality of their plight, regardless of how many reminders they are given. Dent, Buckner, Boone 88, 90. Yazman, a piece of advice, quit now before your heart is irreparably broken and your ass thoroughly kicked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:18 pm:

"I can only add that it really doesn't matter how well Oakland draws. Because the Red Sox are gonna wipe out the A's again this year, assuming you get to the playoffs."

My friend, you should worry about what the Yanks and the way they keep knock you out in the postseason.

First Bucky Dent, then Aaron Boone, who's next Kenny Loften.

Pedro is basically a 7 inning pitcher and Schilling isn't the dominant pitcher he was when he beat the Yanks in 2001.

I'd take our Big 3 and Redman over your rotation anytime of the day.

Have a nice time trying to keep Manny and Nomah happy this season if you don't trade them beforehand. I'm sure Francona knows what the hell he will do like he did in Philly a few years back.

Come back when you when a World Title and A's fans here and fans all over the country will stop laughing at Red Sox fans who talk trash when they've haven't done jack for 85 years and counting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:45 pm:

What's a humping log? Do they sell those at the concession stands at Fenway Park? Is that their secret for drawing fans? When they play the Tarantella to get the crowd excited during games do Schlep Rox fans start thumping and humping their umpteen logs? That's really sumpting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:40 pm:

"First off, I don't buy into the A's being a "small" market team. The A's may operate like they are in a small market, but in reality they are in one of the biggest markets in the country.

I compare the A's against teams in two team markets that get the lesser amount of media coverage (Angels, Mets and White Sox). Other comparables (based on factors like city size, stadium, etc.) include Philadelphia, San Diego and Toronto. But as Philadelphia and San Diego will get new stadiums this year, they will no longer be comparable."

Mark Cuban said it all that there are owners who care more about making money than winning world titles and Schott fits into the former.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 08:45 pm:

- this is what i'm saying, these are all fair comparisons, based on where the A's are. and of these teams, the A's have the worst attendence among the winners, and even several of the losers beat them out - mets and san diego.

Actually, the A's are in the middle of that group. They outdrew Toronto, San Diego and the CWS. The Mets drew only 800 more per game (nothing considering the difference in population) and the Phillies drew about 1,600 more per game. The Angels topped 3,000,000, but they also are: 1) in a larger market, 2) have a nicer stadium and 3) were coming off of a WS title.

Mark Cuban said it all that there are owners who care more about making money than winning world titles and Schott fits into the former.

That's so true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fanthruitall on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:17 pm:

Hey Yaz man...are you actually BOASTING about your team winning a playoff series??? On a website that has fans who BOAST 4 world series rings...

reminder....those who cheered the Sox the last time they WON a World Series have been dead for many many many years....

I cannot believe that I did and will continue to root for the Yankees when they play your LOSER team...but I will...

I cannot wait to see your new closer give up many shots over the green monster...it will be wonderful

I betcha have a few American League Championship pennants up in your room...nice---

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:23 am:

Oh yeah for tomorrow, GO TITANS!

Titans 24
Pats 20

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 01:26 am:

Good stuff from wbell and oaktownfan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:53 pm:

Well, if the Titans had scored on that possesion, if Bennett had held on to that ball, my predicted score might have been almost identical by a few fgs.

The Patriots just do enough to win and I don't see it lasting. It's hard to win 15 straight in THIS ERA of the nfl.

I think the Colts will win tomorrow and face the Pats who's secondary isn't that special even though they have a Harrison and Law.

I see the Colts/Eagles in the SB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fanthruitall on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:35 pm:

oaktown...IF?? Classic...If our team scored more than their team, most likely we would have won....

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.