Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Baseball players who grew up rooting for the A's

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Baseball players who grew up rooting for the A's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 05:59 pm:

OK, I'll start the ball rolling ...

Randy Johnson - born in Walnut Creek, went to high school in Livermore. Attended the A's 70s World Series with his father.

There was an article in the CC Times when he joined AZ stating that he would have liked to have signed with the A's.

I've always had a soft spot for Randy even if that mullet was pretty scary (aren't they all)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:55 pm:

I'm not sure of baseball players who were A's fans....but Jim McMahon was a big A's fan as well as his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:17 pm:

Appraently Padres announcer Matt Vesgerian is a huge A's fan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:07 pm:

Bip Roberts grew up an A's and Bill King fan. Bip had a short spell with the A's at the end of his career. He said it was a great thrill to hear Bill King call one of his at bats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland4ever on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:22 pm:

Dontrelle (sp?) Willis of the Marlins I Believe grew up as an Oakland A's fan & his style of pitching has been compared to Vida Blue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fuckinas on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:16 pm:

I don't know if you guys watched Rebels of Oakland - the HBO special but Tom Hanks was interviewed on it and he was a huge A's fan growing up and still is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 02:32 pm:

Also, Tom Hanks used to work at Coliseum as vender going up and down the stairs of the Coliseum. Another celebrity A's fan is MC Hammer and the News of Huey Lewis and the News, but Huey Lewis is a Giants fan like Rob Scheider and Robin Williams. As for the players, remember Walnut Creek native Doug Davis who pitched for the Rangers and Jimmy Rollins of the Phillies who told ESPN magazine last year that he build a stadium for the A's, if he was Governor of California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:16 pm:

Don't forget Brad Gilbert!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 01:01 am:

I'm sorry to inform you but Tom Hanks isn't an A's fan. Since he being my favorite actor and a fellow Bret Harte and Skyline High alumni(had to get that in), he's an Cleveland Indians fan.

He lived in Cleveland early on in his 20s and I guess he took them in as his team.

http://www.classicscifi.com/actors.php?actor=Tom+Hanks

sixth line from the bottom.

You can type in tom hanks is a cleveland indians fan on a search engine and it'll give you multiple sites giving you info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:29 pm:

Interesting since he said he was an A's fan when he was interviewed for "Rebels of Oakland."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By warnerkallus on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:44 pm:

Acting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:51 pm:

Ya know.. the best picture I ever saw of Joe Di Maggio was a pic of him in an A's uniform!

Go figure...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:57 pm:

Isn't Leann Tweeden big...on the A's?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.