Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

For those of you who think that downtown Oakland is a "Ghetto"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: For those of you who think that downtown Oakland is a "Ghetto"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 01:30 pm:

from todays letters to the editor in the SF Chronicle

OAKLAND'S STREETS
Editor -- Starting a recent train trip to the Central Coast, I arrived early at the Oakland 12th Street BART station, so I strolled down Broadway to Jack London Square and then on Fourth Street to the Amtrak station.

It was a pleasant experience. The streets and sidewalks were trash-free and not a panhandler or drug pusher was in sight. The doorways (early in the morning) had no homeless in bedrolls and there were no shopping carts loaded with personal belongings. There was little evidence of newspaper contamination.

Perhaps Mayor Willie Brown should visit Mayor Jerry Brown to learn how Oakland was able to accomplish this when "the city that knows how" experiences so many street problems.

BOB DOUGHERTY
San Francisco

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/03/22/ED41141.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 02:26 pm:

Thanks for sharing that link Mike. I will post it later at the A's gate forum where I just had
to read and argue with some very negative posts from people who feel Oakland is too dangerous and crime infested to have a baseball yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

Great letter. I remember reading a leter in the Tribune simular to theat a few months ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 10:30 am:

I just don't understand how people who don't live here (Oakland) can say half the things they say. Yes, Oakland does have it's problems, but so does SF and in many far worse than Oakland's. Yes, Oakland does have a high murder rate, but that's way out in the Avenues and most notably the deep part of east Oakland. SF to me, is far more dangerous to stroll, especially near the civic center and parts of SOMA. Downtown Oakland is not at all dangerous. I live in Oakland and only time I find myself looking over my shoulder is when I'm in the east side. Let's get over it people, Oakland is a nice place, no, a great place for a ball park, especially in the downtown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

No doubt about it. I've lived in west oakland for several years, about 5 blocks from the proposed stadium site. Our block has its share of drugs and addicts, but i have yet to see any violence on our block or anywhere else in downtown. When Brown and Riles were debating last month, brown spun off some stats on murders, and (surprise, surprise) the vast majority of them are gang v. gang or felon v. felon.

SF definitely has more random street crime, from what i've seen working and living here in the past. My car was broken into 5 times in SF. One of those times, a junkie was in my car when i returned from dinner.

Of course, in the pacbell hood, where i've worked the last 5 years, the cops came in and 'relocated' the homeless community that used to have a huge encampment over here.

I think people stigmatize oakland because it's so different from the rest of the white, wealthy, and SUV-driving bay area...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 01:13 pm:

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Milo. The bigger problem is that success has spoiled the Bay Area and turned the whole region into a bunch of snobs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 05:17 pm:

Amen! Your right ramjet1, most of the snobs are those people who have moved from other parts of the country and relocated here. I apologize for generalizing. SF is so full of it's self that when they proposed to become a sister city of Paris, France, the Parisians scoffed at the idea. They in fact said, no thanks. Let's keep Oakland, the jewell of the east bay a secret to real Oaklanders and A's fans.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.