Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Schott puts up money for a new stadium

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Schott puts up money for a new stadium
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:32 am:

for the Santa Clara Bronco's

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/29/SPGNB4KA2S1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:23 am:

That $4 million is $4 million more than he's ever publicly offered for a new A's ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:23 pm:

ok...so that was kind of cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bartender on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:07 pm:

I would think this can only help his ties with the City of Santa Clara, Which probably has the best chance of any South Bay city of having the A's. I did't know was a star pitcher there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:41 pm:

Just like that pitcher from Cleveland!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:21 pm:

Bartender is right. I'm sure Schott figured this donation would not only benefit his alma mater, but also make him look like a really good guy to the Santa Clara community.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:36 pm:

That still wouldn't help MLB cough up the rights from the Gnats, they want the A's either gone or in DC/Portland...Puerto Rico/Mexico..whatever.

Shitt isn't exactly Al Davis either...don't expect him to invest in a lawsuit for those rights.

Unless he wants to establish a minor league team there...the net effect on endearing himself to the community will be ZIP!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 05:32 pm:

1959--The Lethbridge White Sox won the Southern Alberta Baseball title. Steve Schott, co-owner of the Oakland A's was among the White Sox players.

"http://www.attheplate.com/wcbl/images/1959/59_schott_steve_1.jpg"
"http://www.attheplate.com/wcbl/1959_1g.htm"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:27 pm:

Nice going, fh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bartender on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:52 pm:

Not only would he want to be seen as a good guy, but this could probably be seen as a trial run on a smaller scale. I live down here, and I think alot of the same people who were opposed to the Shark Tank would no longer have the same concerns with a stadium. Don't get me wrong I don't wan't to see them leave Oakland, It's just that I could definitely see SC as a reality for them. I think the problem with the rights could ultimately be just a formality, just as it was back when it came up. Luckily, I don't see anything substantial happening any time soon. At least 10 yrs. This new ballpark is 3mi from dowtown SJ, and right in the heart of dowtown SC. If this is a real success in five years I can definitly see people looking higher. Dispite the economy, Santa Clara always seems to handle thier money incredibly well. They have a new state of the art Police station, and always seem to be improving thier public schools. Once again I'm not for them moving, but I did grow up in the South Bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 10:13 am:

My favorite prep baseball field in the Bay Area is in Santa Clara--Bellarmine Prep. CalTrain passes right beyond the outfield fence, sort of like a mini-Safeco Field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:10 pm:

I think that four mil will be more than what Schott will ever put into building a new park for the A's in OAKLAND.

Scumbag!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:30 pm:

No doubt he can write that $4 mil off as a charitable contribution.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.