Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Chime in on San Jose.

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Chime in on San Jose.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 08:14 am:

Ok, let's get it out in the open. Forget whether or not you feel it could or would happen. Let's say it can be done. Forget about funding and rights and MLB blocking and territories.

How would you feel if there were a Ballpark Deal and the A's were moving so San Jose?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland4ever on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 10:05 am:

You might as well ask me how I'd feel if my wife moved down the street to live with a neighbor. Oakland Forever!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 10:20 am:

I lived in the south bay for a few years, and unlike some on this board, I actually LIKE the area. It think it's got a lot to offer, including the best weather in the bay area, proximity to Santa Cruz/Capitola, TONS of outdoor activities to get involved in. San Jose is a very nice, clean city with not many of the typical "big city" problems you'll find in other urban areas.
Having said all that, the A's do NOT belong there. I grew up with the OAKLAND A's and want to keep them in OAKLAND. It's not at all the same to have them in San Jose. The Oakland A's have a very proud tradition. I believe it's the only Oakland team that is exclusively connected to the East Bay. People think the Raiders, but there are Raider fans EVERYWHERE. Plenty of Raider fans in SF, SJ, LA, San Diego, to where they are not exclusive to the East Bay. But the A's? When was the last time you saw someone wearing an A's hat in SF? Even Sacramento has switched to more of a Giants town after our radio signal disappeared up there.
Most people don't even know where the Golden State Warriors play.

Let's keep the A's in Oakland, where they belong. It makes NO SENSE to move them to the south bay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 10:40 am:

I agree with kevink.

If the A's left Oakland, I'd give up watching MLB baseball entirely. I like the South Bay. My dad grew up in Mountain View. My grandmother still lives there.

But, the A's belong in Oakland. Ratto said it all yesterday: The A's win and make money in Oakland. What's the problem? Why do Selig and Schott want baseball out of Oakland so badly? A new ballpark in the right spot of Oakland makes sense, something that will rejuvenate downtown Oakland and possibly may help the A's payroll.

But with ballpark disasters (tons of money spent by cities with little return) in Milwaukee and Detroit, it's clear that it is no panacea for small-revenue teams. So why needlessly uproot a successful 35 year tradition in Oakland for a hugely expensive "Maybe" in the South Bay? The only logical explanation is that it will help three people's profit margin: Schott, Wolff and Hofmann.

Not a good enough reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:42 pm:

As an A's fan living in SF, I believe the A's belong in OAKLAND, because the Oakland A's are OAKLAND. The people/fans of OAKLAND have whole lotta love for players especially ones from that local from Rickey, Stew, Eck, and even Byrnes although he from Giant terrioty. People of SF love Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, or Joe Montana, but not as much people/fans of OAKLAND love Catfish, Vida, Rudi, Rickey, Eck, Stew, Mulder, Huddy, and Zito. It is sad that Schott doesn't know this with all this time in OAKLAND, he just sitting in his office counting his money and plotting his way back to the South Bay, which is a hockey, lacrosse, arena football, and soccer area. South Bay is great area according to my sister who works for the Merc, but the A's still belong in OAKLAND. Plus, yesterday some guy claiming being an A's from San Jose called KNBR's "Rod Brooks Show" saying, "I don't go to too many games, because of the traffic of 880" As I was hearing this, I was thinking, "There are people drive from long away from Sacramento to A's games, they don't complain" Lastly, I wear my A's gear on the streets of SF, Anaheim, or even Yankee Stadium if I go because I'm an OAKLAND A'S fan, Mr. Schott.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:41 pm:

The traffic on 880 from SJ IS brutal in the evenings.
I can attest.
I had my days where I literally had to turn around in milpitas because the traffic was STOPPED and not even moving. Friday's were almost impossible to make it up to a game, unless you leave by around 3:00 and find something else to do for a few hours before the game. Not the easiest thing ever.
Sacramento is further, but traffic is not as much of an issue for a night game.

Keep em in Oakland!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:09 pm:

I used to live in Campbell. I would drive to Fremont to the bart station there and then to the game. I would take me forever to get from San Jose to Fremont.

One of the main reasons I moved to the east bay was just to be closer to the ball park.

I now live within 10 minutes of the stadium... I know the back roads to get there, enjoy the public transportation options.. one being commuting with my buddy.

Keep in mind the pros and cons: SBC/Oakland/San Jose

SBC - No Parking, limited public transportation to the park, tons of walking, still freakin cold, limited tail gate areas, sucky Giant's fans.

Coliseum - GREAT Public transportation, decent easy access parking, not so dam cold inside the park, better tail gate areas, the best dam sports fans!

San Jose - no public transportation, limited parking, limited tail gate area, some freakin tech name on the stadium like Fujitsu park, disgruntled baseball fans of all teams with no clue in the stands, warm beer.

Just my thought on it..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:24 pm:

I want a new stadium! No more Mt Davis, or yellow fields in the play offs.

I want the A's to keep OAKLAND on their Jerseys

I read that Wolff has met with Oakland, but I dont think he has met with San Jose recently.

I have a feeling that the A's want to stay in Oakland first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 06:21 pm:

Jesse, read today's Oakland Tribune story on the Howard Terminal site. San Jose's sports task force committee leader calls Wolff their "ace in the hole." Also, Wolff owns a hotel and property in downtown San Jose. You can be sure that Wolff has talked with San Jose a lot recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 10:34 pm:

Actually, getting to sbc on public transit (MUNI) is quite easy. Anyone would be a fool to drive there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 07:59 am:

I dont want to assume anything Chris!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 09:08 am:

Ahhh Muni.. the over packed trolley/bus system. No thanks.. I will walk...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:48 pm:

Ya know, I don't even want to think about this. But since you asked.

The A's belong in Oakland. Oakland is a great town despite it's reputation it is a very pleasant city to live.

I think it's funny how SF tries to come off as a perfect city. Have any of you walked around the Civic center, Orpheum theatre, union square, south of market, pretrao [sic] hill? These places are a hell of a lot scarier than any part of Oakland I know and I live here.

Yes, Oakland has a higher muder rate (SF is second to Oakland) but SF has the highest crime rate, even more so than Oakland. I'm talking FBI statistics regarding, rape, felony, larceny, home break in etc, etc.

Anyway, yes San Jose is nice, but it's also the largest suburb north of LA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By richochet on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:55 pm:

As a matter of fact, yes I have walked around all of those places you mention - Civic Center, etc. This past summer, my wife and I walked from the parking garage at Civic Center on a Saturday evening all the way down Market Street to get dinner at Puccini & Pannetti (nice little Italian restaurant). We then took a cab back down Market to the Opheum and after the show (Jesus Christ Superstar) walked back the few blocks to the Civic Center garage. We had a GREAT night! The highlight of our night actually was the walk to dinner from the Civic Center. Compared to other downtown areas of major US cities I've been in, it was much cleaner and safer feeling than most. At no times did I encounter any shady elements or feel in danger. It was an absolute great night out. It's one thing to root for our home team, but I find this constant denigration of the city of SF that I hear on this board to be rather childish and tiresome. In this case, simply untrue. Let's grow up folks - SF is a pretty nice city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 05:07 pm:

richohet,
It's also childish for the people of SF and the media to constantly bash Oakland.
If SF is SO much better and SUCH a great city, why the need to put down other places?
I lived in SF for 2.5 years, and enjoyed it. However, the arrogance of many people got old. There's a HATRED of Oakland, and LA. When I go to Oakland, I don't experience NEARLY the hatred of SF. It seems to me that the bitterness is much worse on the west side of the bay. My theory is that many San Franciscans know that they can never be as big or as important as New York, so they just trash every surrounding city to make themselves feel good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 05:20 pm:

I grew up in Oakland and I live here now.

I've always said that Southern California begins at the Oakland/San Leandro border. I've got nothing against San Jose, but it just seems so far away and different than Oakland and San Francisco. If they move down there, they might as well move to Florida, I will no longer follow them.

If they do move, I might become a Giants fan because I could just take the ferry to PacBell. But who knows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 05:39 pm:

If the Giants played in my backyard I'd close the drapes.

I'm not sure that SF is cleaner than other cities. I've worked in SF (2nd and Folsom) for years and I'm tired of the urine soaked streets and having to climb over the homeless to get to my office. Maybe that'll change with the new mayor.

No doubt SF is a great city but Oakland is pretty cool too.

I worked in San Jose in the early 80s even then the population was larger than SF. What was weird to me was that the people of San Jose called SF "the city". I don't know if that's still true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:08 pm:

ronc- You're dreaming if you think any Dem will do anything of consequence to lessen the homeless problem anywhere. Those are their prime constituents and source of the political power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 12:12 am:

I don't recall the problem being as bad when Feinstein, Agnos or Jordan were in charge. So there is hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 11:46 am:

Ronc, you're right, the SF homeless problem was bad before but just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. Money has been thrown at the problem for decades, but things continually go downhill. Maybe it's time to try a new approach?
Maybe we're getting way off topic here too....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 01:04 am:

richochet, I take exception to your post. Childish my ass. The areas I mention are indeed filthy and scary. Many people who walk in those areas are only fooling themselves. Take off the blinders next time and REALLY take a look around. I and my girl friend have seen people pissing on the streets. Taking a shit in door ways. Screaming at the top of their lungs and while the "normal" people ignore the crazys that surround them. All this within the "Theartre" district and Union square. Also, SF is not the cleanest city in the country. Even the late Herb Caen said NY was cleaner and did'nt smell of a gray hound bus terminal public bathroom.

The only reason I mention it in the first place was to make the point that Oakland is not this horrible and scary place that San Franciscan snobs seem to describe.

I own a house in the Redwood Heights area with a terrific view of the three bridges and downtown Oakland and SF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 12:31 pm:

Why does all this trash talking about the move always seem to come out right before spring training...Do they plan on pising off the fans this close to the start of things?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.