Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

This writer must be an A's fan

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: This writer must be an A's fan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:52 pm:

Here is one for the optomists. Remember, the Angels and Marlins were not the Yankees.

Once you get to the post season, it's a crap shoot right?

We keep getting there.

Check out this article I found in ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1738008

The writer (Eric Neel) seems to be an A's guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavy4ever on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:12 am:

I would say it's far from a crap shoot. If you look at all the world champions the past ten years, the teams with the better pitching, specifically in the back end of the rotation have gone on to win the World Series. In the playoffs, it goes back to fundamental baseball...pitching and defense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:44 pm:

I like it. Stop the whinning and play the hand life deals you to the best of your ability. I preach this to my kids daily. So what if they got all the "big bucks", "Glamours talent", were still gonna kick their overpriced asses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:02 pm:

yup, I agree ramjet, but schott is the one always bichin and moanin and whinin about how he just can't survive in oaktown...
most diehard fans are very excited to see their under-rated players kick some overpriced butts...

but from a business point of view, if you want to get the casual fans to the yard, you gotta field a competitive team and that costs money, especially in post season when the depth of the team (good bench players) comes up with the trophies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:18 pm:

yeah but this writer didn't even mention the A's (save moneyball), the EPITOME of small market success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:51 pm:

playoffs aren't a crapshoot. Yanks and their high-priced payroll have made the ws 6 of the last 8 years. Keep in mind that having deep pockets means more than just going out and "buying" players, it's retaining fundamentally sound players that come up through the org.

I'm still waiting for us to kick the yanks ass when it really matters.

I wish I could share your guys' optimism.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 02:19 pm:

"Yanks and their high-priced payroll have made the ws 6 of the last 8 years."

But they lost to a team that spent over $100 million less than they did. Playoffs aren't completely a crapshoot but it's pretty close. Any team can win 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7 games against any other team. No one considered the Marlins the best team in baseball last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 02:19 pm:

The Yanks don't resign fundamentally sound players who come up through the organization, they trade them for Alex Rodriguez.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:07 pm:

yc, you're pointing out exceptions...not the norm.

77, of course they buy players and championships. HOwever, their deep pockets has allowed them to keep the likes of post season standouts like Jeter, Bernie Williams, Posada, and Rivera...guys we'd never be able to keep.

Ho hum, what else is new. You guys refuse to be objective. I hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but seriously, you'recrazy to downplay the yanks chances at going deep in the postseason.

Fuck we have a low-ass payroll and haven't gotten past the first round in each of the last four years. That's not a crapshoot that's a trend. So is the yankees trend of making it to the WS in three of the last four years.

I'm pumped for this season, but I'll bet ya anything the yanks go deeper in the postseason than we do thanks to thier sick-ass roster. And you're going to say it was all a crapshoot? Dream on gang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:44 pm:

Its certainly not just a crapshoot. The Yanks, I must admit, are a somewhat above average team. The thing is, though, they aren't any better than last year's team. In fact, they're probably slightly worse.

C - Same
1b - likely slight downgrade between G getting older and having to play more games in the field
2b - huge downgrade, upgrade defensively
ss - Same
3b - huge upgrade, small downgrade defensively (it'll take time for A-Rod to learn the new position.)
RF - Significant upgrade
CF - Significant downgrade
LF - Same
DH - Moderate downgrade

Their O should be about the same overall.

While 1-3, I think their pitching is better, Brown is a walking, talking injury waiting to happen. I like Contreras and think he'll be at least fine at 4, but 5 is a huge ? and their 'pen is shaky at best.

I'm being objective . . . the Yanks will have a great team, but I don't think its time to run for cover from the sky falling. That was just a nut, don't worry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:54 pm:

The yanks are like the monster in "Alien" that keeps regenerating itself. Every time the monster sees an area exposed, it goes out and raids other teams' talent pool for another $10-$15 mil, which for them is pocket change.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go out and acquire a stud 2nd baseman from somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:58 pm:

Only 1 2b to be had and he plays for Montreal . . . no way Bud is okaying that, he's taken enough crap for okaying the trade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:16 pm:

How did the Yankees manage to get Vasquez from Montreal in exchange for Johnson? I would think that Vasquez was a franchise pitcher for Montreal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:20 pm:

77, you're right. I guess my point is that this shit is unfair and the system needs to be rectified so that teams can't outspend like mo-fos. There also needs to be a minimum cap to ensure that owners don't pocket the cash ala schitt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 01:08 am:

speaking of teams improving, I think the Astros got really good. They have a great pitching staff,and it's an even numbered year, which means Jeff Ket will hit more than 30 HR's rather than the 20HR's he hits in odd numbered years (if you don't believe me look at the stats!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 01:24 am:

Dev, you're nuts.

The Yanks are a definately an above average team. How could you even say somewhat? I mean the Giants are a "somewhat" above average team. The Mariners are a "somewhat" above average team. The A's, depending on their pitching staff, are a somewhat above average team.

Right now VORP calculates 105 or so wins for both the RSox and Yanks.

They are definately an above average team. They aren't the best team ever like the dumb NY Mediots make them out to be. But defiantely above average. One for the ages? Nope, not unless they get a leftie starter. And I don't put it past them. They will really miss Pettite. Whoops! haha. And Clemens too! Hah. What will the NY fans do to Lieber? Or Brown when he goes on the DL with a hang nail?

BTW the only nuts fallin from the sky musta hit you on the head for interpreting the Yanks as a "somewhat" above average team.

Hehe.

GO A'S, F SELIG, YANKS, RSOX, MLBPA, ORZA, AND FEHR!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:12 am:

umm . . . Jayho, dude, you're a dumb ass, look at the last paragraph of my post.
That first statement is what we call being facetious.

(btw, Jayho and I are friends, he knows I don't actually think he's a dumb ass)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 07:12 pm:

Actually, Dev *THINKS* that we are friends and I actually do know that I AM a dumb ass.

So there. hehe.

BTW it's more fun to bash you then agree with you. Hence my post lol

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.